[RESOLVED]HE GOT A GOOD POWER SUPPLY>> Motherboard toast?

The short version:

Tried to turn the machine on Sunday and nothing happened. No fans, no power, nothing. I opened it up to find an LED light on the board lit, tried to main power button on the board but still got nothing, just the LED light.

I spoke with my company's Dir. of IT who said he's seen this a number of times and each time it's been a mb on the fritz. Truth? I'm at work with no chance to look at any warranty info. Is something like this covered? And if so, what particular steps should be followed. Oh, and I purchased the board new from a retailer in November or December.

Sorry for the brevity but greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Michael

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well your Power Supply isn't really up to the task of running the mobo, so that's the first thing I would check...

Any lightening, power cuts recently?

Also, try a minimal install outside of the case, with just CPU, RAM, GFX card, mobo and power supply, and a hard-drive

And are all four power connectors plugged in as per Happy's build guide?

Try manually shutting off the power to your PSU and clearing the CMOS as described in the link in my sig. Leave it cleared for at least 20 minutes and try booting her with a single stick of ram.

Chances are the motherboard is fine...however it MAY not be getting enough power from that PSU (DFI recommend 480 watts MINIMUM). Also check to make sure all 4 connections are solidly in place on the board.

Thanks guys.

Couple of questions:

1. I did a bundle of research on all the components when I bought them and spoke with many experienced builders, and everything I learned said 450W was more than enough to run whatever. I looked back on the retailer's website for minimum power guidelines for that mb and couldn't find anything. Is there somewhere else I should have looked?

2. If you hadn't already picked up on it, I'm a TOTAL n00b with this stuff. This was my first build and up until this point, it had been greatly successful. However, I don't know what the hell CMOS means. I mean, I've heard/read the term but have never pursued it further. What is it/does it do? Do I lose anything in the process (memory/documents, etc)

Sorry for the total n00bish questions. Thanks again for your help.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

CMOS clear, you won't lose documents, but you will lose BIOS settings, I think :P

480W is the lowest recommended rating for DFI, they are built to overclock and therefore require the added stability of at least 480W if they're going to run properly. To quote someone from this forum, "it's like buying a sports car and then filling it with watered down fuel"... or soemthing....

Never trust the retailer's website, search for independant reviews on products first

Good luck!

First;

I highly doubt you live in Cell block D, if they get DFI machines there, I am telling my uncle to transfer. Please fix your location as stated in the rules.

Second, about the power requirements;

You should have done your research here at DFI-Street, and you would have learned your true PSU needs. That PSU might be able to handle a "standard" motherboard with those components, but DFI recommends 480W minimum.

Hmm. I'll keep looking. The only thing I know for sure is that it has to be 24 pin. When we start talking about rails and volts and everything else, I'm lost. To give you an idea of my needs, I don't overclock and have no intention of doing so. The most demand I put on the machine is an occassional game of Doom, so clearly I'm not requiring a great deal.

Are there particular specs I need to keep in mind?

Thanks again. And again. And again. And agaaaaa.....