[RESOLVED]HE GOT A GOOD POWER SUPPLY>> Motherboard toast?

Gotcha. I saw everything at the top of the list that was 700+watts and assumed I was in over my head. There look to be a couple of good ~500W options at reasonable prices down below that will work.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. So with our Dir of IT, we ran the gamut of CMOS clearing, using both the link in this thread as well as the user's manual from DFI. We came up with nothing. I have gone in search of a DFI support phone number and the only one I came up with isn't working. Can someone please direct me to a number that will work?

Much appreciated.

I've just had exact same problem as you with the same PSU (and case).

My standby LED is on (near the diagnostic LED's) but my RAM LED would not light or on the rare occasions it did it would be VERY dim.

Just today I got a new Enermax FMA535W from the DFI list of PSU to use and the PC now works fine (had done for ~6 months up to now on the Antec 450w).

Do yourself a favour and get a new PSU (the Enermax above was the cheapest i could find thats on the list)....i was going to RMA the board but i'm glad i didnt now! :)

Nevermind. I found a number for DFI San Jose. I left a message with RMA from which I am expecting no reply.

You’re not trying to RMA your DFI motherboard because you PSU is inadequate are you?

Dude, you have been told by several people that your PSU is an issue.

Your rig’s PSU does not meet the minimal power requirements for a DFI nF4 motherboard. Check this post by Happy_Games. He is a DFI tech and his word is “Golden”.

You need minimal of 480w@26amps on the 12v rail of good clear power for a single video card. This comes straight from DFI techs.period

Do yourself and your motherboard a big favor. Get a DFI Recommended Power Supplies. If it is not here forget it.

Stability is the name of the game. To get the stability you need in a DFI rig you need good clean power. PSU can disrupt so many things in ones rig. The stability can go at 1st, which then gets worse and worse as time goes on. Then major power issues with the motherboard and it will seem stability related. Components can also fail or seem to cause stability issues. Basically the PSU is slowly dying and may take your motherboard and or components with it. A PSU failing can happen all of a sudden or slowly over time.

Power requirement for DFI motherboards are very high because they where designed from the ground up to overclock. A good quality PSU with ALL the power connectors plugged in will make a world of difference in stability and overclocking. These are;

24-pin main power connector

4-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v molex connection or HDD-type

4-pin 5v/12v floppy connection or FDD-type

I can list several recent threads of people using inadequate PSU that once they went with a recommended PSU their problems disappeared.

What BIOS version are you at?

Update your signature with your BIOS information as per the rules.

Look at the examples. Thank you.

I am going to try the new PSU first.

Could someone please confirm that this unit will meet my needs? It is on the list of recommended units however, as I've mentioned, I'm completely new to all of this that I'd really appreciate a more educated opinion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103937

Also, brace yourself for what is probably the dumbest question you've heard this month. Ready? Here it comes: are PSUs generally universal in size? In other words, do I have to worry whether or not the unit will fit in my case?

Ok, sorry for the stupid.

In response to tasr's request for my BIOS; yeah, umm, I have no idea. I know where to look for it when the machine is on but with it not on, I have no idea. If it makes the least bit of difference, I've adjusted nothing since the machine's inception.

Again, sorry for the dumb.

Yes, that one is still ok. In my opinion I would still fine something else.

Please note that Antec as a brand is no longer on the recommended list,

although several specific Antec PSU's are recommended in this guide,

this is because some of Antec's newer PSU's are having MAJOR PROBLEMS & after months of work these problems persist.

There a still several PSU on the list close to your price range. DFI Recommended Power Supplies

...are PSUs generally universal in size? In other words, do I have to worry whether or not the unit will fit in my case?

Not a stupid. Yes some PSU a cases have issues. It depends on what PSU you select. I’m not familiar with your case. I can tell you get the dimensions of your PSU and measure your case

BIOS add it when you rig is back.

This seems to be a winner, and while nearly double what I was looking at price wise in the Antec, per the 'Recommended' thread, more stable and dependable. Is it overkill if I'm just running a single 6800GS vid card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817341001

Another question I'm embarassed to ask: Is there a difference between 24 pin and 20+4 pin?

Thanks again

This seems to be a winner, and while nearly double what I was looking at price wise in the Antec, per the 'Recommended' thread, more stable and dependable. Is it overkill if I'm just running a single 6800GS vid card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817341001

This is a most excellent PSU, you’ll have room to grow. Put it this way; say you want to do some upgrade like AMD x2 CPU, couple more HDD or another optical drive you’ll be good to go. If you think SLI is in your future get the OCZ GameXStream 700w PSU.

Another question I'm embarassed to ask: Is there a difference between 24 pin and 20+4 pin?
Basically the same the difference is the 20+4 pin can work on a 20 pin motherboard.