DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2 (socket AM2) official discussion thread

I put together the system below about a week and a half ago. I overclocked the cpu to 2.5Ghz (278 x 9) at 1.425 Vcore and had the memory running at DDR 556, 4-4-4-12 at stock voltage. I ran dual prime95 torture tests for 48 hours without any errors last weekend.

On Thursday I installed a modem, a second case fan, and replaced the chipset heatsink with the Evercool VC-RE. After this I had the system up and running for a couple of hours without any problems. I then decided to run the torture tests overnight again, but as soon as I started the second test the PC shutdown and will not power on anymore. When I push the power button the lights and fans turn on for a split second and then the system shuts back off, and I then have to unplug the psu and plug it back in to get any response at all. I think that the psu's current or voltage protection is shutting it down.

I unplugged/removed everything from the board except the memory and the heatsinks, and it still has the same problem. I cleared the CMOS and that did not help. I then discovered that if I removed the 4-pin 12V power connector to the board it will power on and not shutdown. However I did not know how safe it was to run like this since the cpu fan did not come on, so I did not leave it on for more than like 4 seconds. I also tried it with a different power supply and the same symptoms occur.

I am thinking that something has to have gone wrong with the board, but I would appreciate any suggestions or help that anybody can give me.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking that something has to have gone wrong with the board, but I would appreciate any suggestions or help that anybody can give me.

What MC said. Take everything out but the bare minimum (just the viceo card, 1 hardrive, 1 stick of ram) and see if it runs. If it doesn't, and you happen to have another PC around that does run, put the bare minimum (above) in the other PC (after gutting it) and seeing if it does the same thing. If that doesn't work, you know it's not the case/power supply.

Then just swap the remaining minimum pieces out, 1 by 1, (the video card and hard drive and memory), until the only thing left is the motherboard. Ideally you'd like to swap the CPU as well, but you might not have one of those laying around. Either it will eventually work by eliminating that 1 faulty piece, or it will never work, meaning the MB is bad.

I understand that this mobo does not come with a backplate, the CPU cooler retention module is held with plastic pushpins. Is any one using an aftermarket CPU cooler and if so, how are they attaching it without a backplate? I would like to tinker with this mobo when Thermalright releases a retention module for my SI-120, but it would require a backplate to screw the Thermalright RM to in order to fasten it securely, I would think. I guess I could get the new Ultra-120 and the AM2 mounting kit, but the weight of that thing scares me. :eek:

I put together the system below about a week and a half ago. I overclocked the cpu to 2.5Ghz (278 x 9) at 1.425 Vcore and had the memory running at DDR 556, 4-4-4-12 at stock voltage. I ran dual prime95 torture tests for 48 hours without any errors last weekend.

On Thursday I installed a modem, a second case fan, and replaced the chipset heatsink with the Evercool VC-RE. After this I had the system up and running for a couple of hours without any problems. I then decided to run the torture tests overnight again, but as soon as I started the second test the PC shutdown and will not power on anymore. When I push the power button the lights and fans turn on for a split second and then the system shuts back off, and I then have to unplug the psu and plug it back in to get any response at all. I think that the psu's current or voltage protection is shutting it down.

I unplugged/removed everything from the board except the memory and the heatsinks, and it still has the same problem. I cleared the CMOS and that did not help. I then discovered that if I removed the 4-pin 12V power connector to the board it will power on and not shutdown. However I did not know how safe it was to run like this since the cpu fan did not come on, so I did not leave it on for more than like 4 seconds. I also tried it with a different power supply and the same symptoms occur.

Thanks in advance

sounds like u got either the 4-pin atx connector or the connector shorted, i would say RMA time

I am looking to upgrade from my Abit to this DFI mb.

Haven't decided on the 3800 single core or the dual core, don't really know about what software will utilize the dual core.

Since I am not into any serious OC'ng, is the 3800 AM2 Single Core going to be fast enough to play about any game, or should I go up to a dual core 4200 or so?

I am asking for opinions since I have not used a DFI mb in a long while.

Have had some serious health problems, and not done much in my computer area.

Do not want SLI or any dual video card setup is the primary reason in selecting this mb.

I am asking for opinions since I have not used a DFI mb in a long while.

Anything less than a DFI (which is anything other than DFI...) and you will regret not having the best. I did :) So I ditched my 2.64-2.75GHz overclock on a Gigabyte AM2 and bought the DFI Infinity and am happily running at 2.86GHz 1.5v. I couldn't help but wonder how much extra overclock I could get with the DFI (that's the only part I changed) and now i'm pretty satisfied :D

I've owned 3 DFI boards myself, it's been smooth sailing for me even with stock settings with each.

http://www.svcompucycle.com/vc-re.html

I use this, no prob.

Nice board.

3000+

untitledto5.th.jpg

4000+

untitleddualex0.th.jpg

R thumbnails ok?

Ordered that cooler for my board. I really don't see why it would be recommended, especially for this board. I had to perform surgery to get the clip to clear the cap closest to the chipset and my 7800GT rests right on top of it. If I pushed the card all the way into the slot, it would push up one end of the cooler. Not happy with it at all.

If tis not fitting then you have to be doing something wrong... Everyone else is having success with flying colors with that heatsink.