DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2 (socket AM2) official discussion thread

first things first...

update:

ok, looks like for the moment we've figured out that it is a specific setting in the bios that is worded incorrectly (or is set incorrectly/backwards...ie: on = really off, and off = really on...Taiwan will fix this tonight)

The setting is the bottom of the Genie BIOS section, called:

ACPI XSDT Table

by default it is supposed to be Enabled

the text descriptor next to it says "do not enable for 32-bit Windows XP/2k, only enable for 64-bit Windows"

so naturally we would disable that since we still use 32-bit mostly....except disabling it = machine will reboot during Windows setup (blue DOS-like part at the beginning).

So leaving it enabled will allow Windows 32-bit to properly install. There's also a small issue where sometimes after Load Optimized Defaults the setting shows Enabled yet it is apparently not truly enabled as it gives the same reboot cycling during Setup.

Disabling this for 64-bit setup will not cause a reboot, but will cause setup to hang (right at the part where 32-bit would cause the system to reboot).

Rgone, Frank, Shawn (office tech), and I are all sitting at the desktop right now with this setting enabled.

I apologize for being harsh, but I would rather have users wait until we resolve the problem before everyone purchases one then comes back here yelling about their POS board doesn't do anything but reboot during setup no matter what cpu, RAM, video, psu, RAM timings, etc are used.

I always advocate letting some of us who either get this hardware for free or have money to burn and are adventurous to get in a week or two with it before you rush right out and buy it because your money is burning a hole in your pocket.

It doesn't mean the board is a POS. It simply means it is brand new, and you'd be wise to allow us some time to get familiar with it in the off chance that there is a problem such as we faced with it today. If we have a week or two with the product, it allows tech support as well as good forum users a change to really get to know it, and resolve any issues that might crop up, so that way instead of you coming here yelling about your POS that doesn't work, you can find out that we've already faced this problem and have provided a viable, working solution or alternative.

It is my way of saying "don't be in such a bloody rush, and that way you will not get bent ouf of shape if something goes wrong because we'll have a fix or you will know what to do and what not to do right from the beginning".

The motherboard and the AM2 cpu's are not going anywhere, so you don't have to run out and buy one RIGHT NOW just to be on the bleeding edge. Hold your money and wait a little bit for us to post up some results, and in the time it takes us to do that, you might find your AM2 cpu of choice has dropped in price yet again...

;)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

placeholder for initial benchmarks/results/etc

initial systems:

Windows XP Pro 32-bit

DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2, 7/11/2006 Official BIOS

2x1GB Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1000Mhz @ 5-5-5-18 (SPD default)

AMD AM2 3800+ Dual Core X2 @ 2Ghz per core

Chaintech GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E

OCZ Powerstream 520w psu

Hitachi SATA II 80GB hdd

NEC DVD-RW 3550A

Thermalright HR-01 heatpipe heatsink

Windows XP Pro 64-bit

DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2, 7/11/2006 Official BIOS

2x1GB OCZ Gold GX DDR2-1000Mhz @ 5-5-5-16 (SPD default)

AMD AM2 4800+ Dual Core X2 @ 2.4Ghz per core

Chaintech GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E

OCZ Powerstream 600w psu

Maxtor SATA 80GB hdd

NEC DVD-RW 3550A

stock AMD Opteron 170 heatpipe heatsink

well, I've been priming them both for a bit, but the 64-bit rig unfortunately had to use StressPrime as I couldn't get the 64-bit Prime95 until CPDMF uploaded it to me...so I will have to stop it and restart.

Making entries for the OC Database with both rigs ;)

see you in 24 hours!

Hello, first post here. I should be soon building a PC for my friend and I'm considering using this motherboard in the build. However, I have a question regarding DDR2 RAM. The specs here and here say that it supports up to DDR2 667 RAM. Does this mean it's incompatible with DDR2 800? And if so, what would the difference in performance amount to to drop down to DDR2 667? Thanks.

not sure why it says it only does DDR2-667 because both rigs right now are using DDR2-800 RAM on DDR2-800 compatible processors (X2 3800+ and 4800+)

actually on both rigs I am using DDR2-1000Mhz RAM but they are running at stock of 800 but that will give me plenty of headroom to overclock them ;)

DFI Infinity Ultra II M2 711 BIOS

AM2 3800 1.55Vcore(cpu-z is incorrect)

Corsair 2x512 DDR1066 2.2Vdimm

EVGA 6600GT

WD 80Gb ATA100

Rosewill 500W PSU

This board runs great just like every DFI I have(nF3 Ultra, nF4 Ultra, RS482)!

dfiultra2m2072706-3.jpg

Hey, I also wonder.. will this mobo will work with this ram: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...uctCode=85025-6

??

I'm really afraid that it won't :S.

If you can confirm to me that it will [or will not] i'll be EXTREMLEY happy!

oh and if you're unsure if it will or sure it won't, can you please link me to an equal ram in specs at the same price range that will work without a doubt??

Thanks,

-Jo.

This board is too new for anyone to guarantee any particular component is going to work with it. Corsair is not particularly popular with DFI boards but if it's DDR2 I don't see why it wouldn't. And just like any other DFI board, you may need to tinker with it. Heck, even if it weren't a DFI I'd still expect to tinker with it...

As forum members get familiar with the BIOS and hardware idiosyncracies we call that tweaking or tinkering.

Even if you have two identical sets of hardware, there will be differences between them so tweaking can pay off nicely if one performs better than the other.

Does the extra ram spead help in gaming or video editing?

there's maybe a 1% to 5% different (both better and worse, just depends on the benchmark or game or application etc) between 939 DDR1 and AM2 DDR2

I can't tell the difference between a 4800+ AM2 and 939, nor a 3800+ AM2 and Opteron 165.