Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK!

Let me get this straight.

You've got a rig running XP just fine with a single core CPU.

You shut the rig down and install a Dual Core CPU. Suddenly XP will not install due to a BIOS conflict?

BUT! You can take the same rig with a Dual Core CPU and install XP fine if you never had a single core CPU installed.

I build several rigs a week for customers and have never has such a problem.

I've converted dozens of rigs from single to Dual Core and never had such a problem.

Am I missing something in the explanation of this "problem"?

I found this link but it seems to deal only with trying to keep your current install of XP which is not recommended once the OS crashes...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

@big poppa pump Can you provide a link to the situation you're referring too. I searched but can't find anything that comes close to your explanation of the situation. I'm still trying to understand how changing from a single to Dual Core will keep you from performing a clean XP install.

@Grimmwor

Have you tried a clean install of XP? This includes formatting the OS partition to remove any remnants of the previous install.

Do you have any other drives installed besides the OS drive?

Are you following the Build Guide provided in the forum?

OK!

Let me get this straight.

You've got a rig running XP just fine with a single core CPU.

Correct.

You shut the rig down and install a Dual Core CPU. Suddenly XP will not install due to a BIOS conflict?

Correct.

BUT! You can take the same rig with a Dual Core CPU and install XP fine if you never had a single core CPU installed.

No! You just can't install xp32 with a dual core cpu. Period! XP32 will install fine and after installation you will get to your desktop fine. The problem starts after the first reboot. XP will just boot to a black screen. If you try booting in safe mode, xp will hang after loading mup.sys.

Well, I too searched the net for this being the cause of the problem and came up empty. It does seem to be a common problem but not related to any specific system configuration. I read reported causes ranging from faulty hardware to dust in a ram slot. It seems like most causes/cures are guesses at best. Based on what little solid info I found pertaining to this I would do the following.

Flash to latest BIOS.

Do a long BIOS clear.

Load default settings (stock).

Disable all non essential hardware in BIOS.

Use PS2 keyboard and mouse.

Test 1 stick of ram with Memtest for a minimum of 8 hours.

Run the complete harddrive diagnostic utility from the harddrive manufacturer.

Attempt to install Windows with minimum components. 1 stick of memory and 1 harddrive (from above), PS2 keyboard/mouse and 1 optical drive.

ExRoadie,

Yes, you pretty much have the problem right. If I were you and hearing the problem rather than experiencing it, I would probably have the same skepticism as you. But the fact remains that I am having a problem and it started when I installed a new FX-60 cpu. As Big Poppa has helped me identify, the machine is rebooting when it tries to load mup.sys. I did do a clean install of windows on a newly formatted partition and had the same problem. Yes I cleared the cmos when I flashed the bios. Yes I have read through the install guide. I will take another look to see if I missed anything but my feeling is this is bios related.

Big poppa pump - I had the same thought as you. When I get home after work tonight I am going to flash back to my original bios, which is nF4 N4d623-3. I will update this post then...

Praz,

I have the latest BIOS now. The problem started after I flashed to the latest bios and installed the new CPU. I am going to try flashing back to my old bios...

If that does not work, then I will try your recommendations next.

Thanks!

hmm, I just did this same exchange setup (fx55 to fx60), and I didn't have any problems otherthan when my system posted it came up as Amd processor unknown. I had to update to the 0406 bta bios to fix that. I was able to boot up to windows without formatting. This problem you are having sounds strange. When you loaded up the settings in your bios after flashing did you use cmos reloaded? If you did, that can cause problems.

I guess I'm lucky then since I've never encountered this problem.

I ordered an AMD 4400 Toledo from Monarch for $250 today. When it comes in I have three single core rigs that I'm gonna try to duplicate the error on but none of my rigs have a BIOS older than the 704-2BT.

I'll try something different on each rig to see what happens.

Where in the world did that come from? I'm sure there are several other forum members that want to see some detailed documentation on this "incompatibility".

The system was running XP until he changed the processor to a Dual Core.

A repair install or a clean install has resolved this issue many times.

I prefer a clean install over a repair since I rebuild my OS every six months or so anyway.

Boy, I am with you, Roadie. This one really came from left field.

I do not trust a Windows repair. I have always had problems when I attempt one. The only way to go is a clean install.

The thing that makes this easier for me is, I only install the programs (M$ Office, Games, etc,) that I use all of the time. I backup my files onto two other HDD's on my other computer. This way when I do a complete install, I don't have to worry about losing my data.