Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

The switch from a 3700 San Diego to an X2 4400 Toledo went off without a hitch.

The short and sweet version; Clear CMOS, load Optimized Defaults, remove old chip, insert new chip, running in XP.

Since the processor change went so smoothly, I've been testing my new RAM with memtest.

The last test as a pair should be done shortly so I'll be able to start tweaking in a few hours.

Now this is fun.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have switched back and forth from single core to dual so many times I've lost count. But with the constant blaming of the motherboard/bios I wasn't gonna go there. The only logical assumption at this point is a corrupted file for multiprocessor support.

OEM is all I use. There's one thing I did notice when I was searching for info about this file causing problems . Almost without exception anyone who had problems installing/loading Windows got an error code when ntkrnlmp.exe being corrupted was the problem.

YES!

OK, so I am running x32 with all drivers installed. There were some bumps in the road, but I came out ok.

1. Upon install F7 appears to do nothing, but i tried it anyway.

2. Reformated and reinstalled w/ msdn volume license copy of windows disk

3. Installed drivers through hardware device manager.

4. Used Orange micro USB driver, heres why:

installed USB driver from expert disk, upon reboot, SOB froze! Hard restarted. Upon reboot, chose Last KNown Good Settings, and got successful boot. Found Orange Micro USB Driver, and got successful reboot.

5. Updated security through windows update in Control Panel.

6. Updated to SP2 same way. Rebooted Successfully!

7. Updated Microsoft Installer, and something else... (sorry) and upon reboot, got black death screen again. Still, chose last known good config, and it rebooted successfully.

8. Continued cycle of reboot and update and reboot, etc.

9. Installed video driver for 7900 gt from disk. This froze it also on reboot. Chose last known good config. and got successful boot.

10. Retried drivers from disk and got successful reboot and successful driver installation.

11. Proceeded to intall various prgrams, and have gotten successful reboots every time without fail.

Conclusion: F7 doesnt work (I dont think)

This is a matter of luck, and that I wish to all of you!

Or the issue with the Microsoft Volume License media versus Retail/OEM media.
YES!

OK, so I am running x32 with all drivers installed. There were some bumps in the road, but I came out ok.

1. Upon install F7 appears to do nothing, but i tried it anyway.

2. Reformated and reinstalled w/ msdn volume license copy of windows disk

ExRoadie, Looks like you might be on to something here.

ExRoadie, Looks like you might be on to something here.

big poppa pump put us onto this issue before he got banned so credit must be given where deserved.

I was able to replicate the failure at the office with some Volume License media so it looks to be solid information.

Of course, the only people that should be running VL media are large organizations and they simply don't do things like change processors on rigs. They simply buy new hardware.

Individuals with VL media are probably running the ever popular XP Corporate Edition that has been circulating for years. Microsoft Genuine Advantage initiative is slowly weeding out these illegal installs so it shouldn't be much of an issue as we go forward.

"For those of you who are hacking windows.... youre screwed, and you should have known better."

But for people like me, who have this little green disk that says "msdn windows xp volume license." Obtained legally and legitimately, and passes windows genuine advantage, what do we do?

Luckily for me, I got it running fine. With the vl copy of windows. Maybe F7 is worth a shot. It is on that install that everything is booting and restarting just fine now. Also, if you get the black screen at any point, just restart and select last known good config. and it should restart fine. If you are using an illegal copy of windows, you really shouldnt be surprised. But if it is legal, best of luck and you have both my sympathy and empathy!

Also, if you get the black screen at any point, just restart and select last known good config. and it should restart fine.

Glad to here you finally got it installed and hopefully this will help others. But if it was me I would be on the phone to Microsoft, especially with a MSDN VL. There is no way I would consider Windows a clean install if I had to choose last known good configuration once much less several time during the install process.

Yea, Im not arguing that my install is screwed up, but it's a lot less screwed up than the black screen of death. Besides, if i got on the phone with microsoft Id hear: " Okay Sir, is your computer plugged into the wall socket? Okay, is the power switch on? BLah BLah BLah.