Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you do us all a favor and describe where the file was located and how you replaced the file.

There were an awful lot of theories and assumptions made in this thread so we'd really like to come to a concise resolution.

I am having the same issues, and have tried CMOS clears. (8 hours)

I had my comp apart installing the Opty 165 and a H20 cooling system. Reformatted and did a fresh install on IDE hard drive, and ran fine. Installed drivers for chipset and proceeded to upate windows.

Restarted 5 or 6 times during drivers and OS update installs. Booted fine. No issues in Device Manager. ACPI multiprocessor enabled. Installed video drivers for 7900 GT (single) and restarted, successful boot.

Updated to SP2 and installed AVG Free Edition Virus protection, restarted and got black screen after Windows load progress bar.

Tried repair, and fresh reinstall and reformat several times. Tried diffferent memory, drivers, bios, nothing works.

I am also working on the DFI expert mobo, with OCZ platinum RAM. Please Mr. Pump, I dont want to switch to x64. and i only have two weeks to tweak this thing until classes start, then Im really screwed.

Additionally, I am running XP bare right now, no SP2, and it runs fine.

"Oops! I forgot. I cheated over here too to get my windows to boot." This is the original text of the last post left by big poppa pump before he was banned for cheating in the OC Database.

From ExRoadie...

This is an example of a sore loser taking his ball home when he doesn't like the way the game is going.

big poppa pump got busted for posting edited screen caps in the Overclocking Database forum.

Of course that's kinda like cheating at solitaire.

big poppa pump must think we're just stoopid to know that he was cheating.

Oh well! Here's the info big poppa pump deleted before he was banned...

The corrupted file in question was ntkrnlmp.exe. It has something to do with using a Volume License media for XP or XP SP1 to perform the install then doing an update to XP SP2. If you've done this and switch from a single core to a dual core, the file ntkrnlmp.exe has become corrupted. When you reboot after the OS has detected the dual core processor the file being corrupted will cause a "no boot" condition. At this point you can replace the corrupted ntkrnlmp.exe from an XP SP2 install or simply perform a clean install of the OS.

Strange stuff i read in this thread ehe.

I updated last week from my 3700 san diego to the dual core 4600.

I did no CMOS clear, all i did was load optimised defaults on my Expert with 04/06/2006 bios, pulled the 3700, whacked in the new 4600, booted up and have had no issues with dual core cpu's.

Having read this thread makes me worried if i have to a fresh install of Win XP SP2 at some stage, but will cross that bridge when i get to it i guess.

Z

Don't panic... I've reinstalled Windows a few times on my eXpert without a problem, just be sensible and install the drivers in the correct order.

Oops! I forgot. I cheated over here too to get my windows to boot.
This thread get weirder and weirder as it grows! What was that comment supposed to mean poopa or haven't you taken your troll pills today?

The forum has some very specific rules when posting to the OC Database or Stock Speed Database.

big poppa pump posted some images that didn't meet the minimum requirements because certain elements of the screen captures were cut and pasted together.

The rules are very specific and must be followed explicitly to be valid.

That's why he used the word "cheated" in his post.

It seems as though the reason so many of us are having issues and so many others aren't is this:

many of us are using VL copies of XP, which requires updates to get SP2. Others are using older XP install disks. Which also require updates to get SP2. It seems that in the update process, the file the poppa pump speeks of, gets corrupted. This is the reason that x64 works, no update to sp2. Quite simply, if you borrow someone elses disk with SP2 in the installer, it'll run great. ALTERNATIVELY, I am going to try to slipstream a VL copy of XP with the SP2 installer. This should get rid of the problem. If it works, I'll try to find somewhere to host the SP2 installer and the slipstream program, and everyone can get past this thing and get on with their lives.

Since the claimed solution was deleted I thought I would repost it for future reference. The corrupted file in question was ntkrnlmp.exe. Here is some info I found pertaining to it.

Chances are, the copy of the multiprocessor kernel got corrupted. So how to bypass this? At the beginning of the setup process, it asks you if you need to use any special SCSI drivers by hitting F6. Two almost-entirely undocumented other features can be activated at that point. If you hit F7, then Windows Setup doesn't do any special detecting at all: it assumes your computer is single processor with no power saving features (you can change this later on from Device Manager) and no SCSI drivers, just "normal" ones, and uses the appropriate kernel and drivers. If you hit F5, then you can select a specific Hardware Abstraction Layer and Kernel to use for the install. When you start Setup and it asks you for SCSI drivers, hit F7. NTOSKRNL.EXE will get loaded instead of NTKRNLMP.EXE, and only a single processor will be used. Once Windows Setup is successful, and assuming you've got a Windows XP CD, you then open Device Manager, select the Computer object, select the item under it, and update the drivers to "ACPI-compliant Multiprocessor Computer." You will now regain your previous dual processor goodness.

Maybe this will help someone. Use at your own risk.

Thanks a lot Praz, you are a gngster. Havent tried your solution yet, but I am going to go to bed happily assuming that the sun will come up tomorrow and you will be a god amongst men as the sole soul to put this beast to rest.

As I said above proceed with caution. This is not something I've done just info I came across. It reads like a possible solution. Maybe someone with firsthand knowledge will post something about it.