Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

Besides, if i got on the phone with microsoft Id hear: " Okay Sir, is your computer plugged into the wall socket? Okay, is the power switch on? BLah BLah BLah.

I completely agree. But with the purchase Windows comes a certain level of service, especially with a subscription or VL. Maybe I'm just hardheaded but I would be on the phone until it was resolved. Then again probably not. It would be easier to go buy a retail copy of Windows.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the kicker. If you have an old MSDN media that has been superseded by new media and you haven't kept your subscription intact to receive new media without the issue, you aren't valid anymore.

If you're using old media for new installs, you're just asking for trouble.

Media and the license for an MSDN subscription or Active Partner Action Pack are only valid as long as your subscription is valid.

If you quit the program you no longer have a license to use the software even if you still have a valid product key.

I have several hundred old product media and product keys stacked up in the office closet. I guess it's time to borrow the CD shredder at my favorite lawyers office for a few hours. LOL

I had everything running superbly, so I shut down for the night. I had restarted before the shut down, just to double check everything was running and booting fine, and there was no problem.

Next morning, I open my case to investigate my newly installed water cooling system for moisture and realize I had forgotten to re-plug the USB for the front USB plugs in. I plug it in and boot up. I went into Device Manager, and there's another USB controller that Windows is picking up in there (the other is still operational). I insert my mobo disk to get the drivers for the second controller, and they install normally. I reboot and BLACK SCREEN! I almost flipped. Nothing fixed the problem, and I proceeded to clear CMOS for 8 hours and then reformat and reinstall Winblows. Now everytrhing is running fine, there is still a yellow '?' mark next to the second USB controller in Device Manager, and ALL my USB ports are functional. Is anyone else noticing anything like this?

Just as a test try to borrow a Windows cd from someone. Be sure it is a legal, pressed, retail or oem disk with SP2. It would be interesting to see if the problems you're experiencing go away. Since you're just testing with it for a few days there will be no need to try to activate it.

Now everytrhing is running fine, there is still a yellow '?' mark next to the second USB controller in Device Manager, and ALL my USB ports are functional. Is anyone else noticing anything like this?

Remove the front USB cable from the motherboard header and see if the error goes away. If it does, reconnect to the header and see if it finds the hardware properly.

If not, make sure you have the nVidia drivers un-packed in a folder.

Uninstall the nVidia drivers, reboot in Safe Mode, use Driver Cleaner Pro to clean the registry. Reboot, let the OS detect the hardware and point to the location of the nVidia drivers.