Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

When I was using the DFI board I was trying to use RAID. With the ASUS board (again using a raid array) and most recent ASUS bios (1205) I am no longer having any issues.

I am sure that I was or probably had done something wrong with the DFI board, but I couldn't figure out what it was. It doesn't matter any more.

Thanks!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, looks like some mobo/cpu/bios incompatibility. Glad to see that you are up and running.

Anyway on a side note, I tried the opty 165 on my Asus board, booted up perfectly and works like a champ.

This looks like to be some kind of problem with DFI boards only.

Well, well, well! Another interesting twist to this story!

Last night I decided to pop in my MCE disk and decided to see FFS if that would install. And guess what, it installed and works like a charm. Installed chipset drivers, video drivers, WU, some other drivers and did several reboots, absolutely no problems. Booted up every single time.

Then I did fresh download of Windows XP SP2, Windows XP (No service pack), SP1a and SP2 from my MSDN account. Slipstreamed SP1a with the XP, and also SP2 with XP. Now I have 3 different images - XPSP2, XPSP1a and another XPSP2.

I burnt all three images to cds and did a fresh install every time. Here's what happened:

XPSP2 - Same problems. This time no black screen, just continuous reboots over and over. Safe mode hangs after loading mup.sys. However I am able to get into windows in safe mode after a few minutes.

XPSP1a - Absolutely no problems. Installed and works like a charm.

2nd XPSP2 - Same as the first XPSP2 cd.

So bottomline, this looks to be some problem with XPSP2. I have not yet identified which file(s) are causing this problem, but gonna start working on it this weekend.

So at this point of time

@big poppa pump

Are your XP SP2 disks originals or are they copies or slipstream media.

I always work from original pressed hologram media and never seem to have an issue.

If Monarch would ever ship my new 4400 X2, that I ordered on Monday and they charged my card for Wednesday, I'll try another build/CPU change with some copies and slipstream media to see what happens.

I burnt all three images to cds and did a fresh install every time.

Well big poppa pump, when I read your post I get only what you write.

I simply ask questions to get a better understanding of the facts.

I have no idea why your MSDN images won't work but the fact remains that you haven't stated if you've tried a stamped original hologram media. Was the MCE disk a burned image or whas it original?

I use my original media and have no problem. Whether I'm using Retail, OEM or media provided through my Microsoft Partner Program subscription.

If Monarch would ever ship my new 4400 X2, that I ordered on Monday and they charged my card for Wednesday, I'll try another build/CPU change with some copies and slipstream media to see what happens.

Welcome to H world...these dudes have been playin games with my isht since Monday as well, I'll race ya to see who gets it first:D

Problem solved!

Currently running XP 32bit with absolutely no problems. Did 8+ hours of priming and all the benchmarks without any hiccups!!!

big poppa pump you could do the DFI-Street community a huge favor by explaining exactly what you did to get it to work. That way when other users stop by this thread with a similar question or a similar problem they can see your solution.

It's always helpful when you solve a problem to actually report how the problem was solved.

Thanks.