Worldcup 2006 (merged)

Sorrento

"goalpost"... haha

Well after this 6-0, which SHOULD have been 8-0 after a legit goal (Crespo) and a legal PK the referee ate... it is safe to say the cup stays in America.

Not sure if Argentina is the #1 team now, after all Ecuador still looks very strong... but the goal diference favors Argentina. Leonel Messi scored, Carlos Teves scored... round victory over a non existent team; and other nations were afraid of Serbia/Montenegro?

The referee Roberto Rosetti, even with those two errors: PK and the non existent offiside (not his fault but the side referee) has been the best one so far... Kezman received a well deserved red card for a foul identical to many others in the WC; Supershanks, the same foul Kezman commited was done by Gerrard and Lampard at least twice in England's two games... one was done at the eyes of Chiquidracula. Rosetti is proof there are good referees in the tournament, and Armando Archundia (bra/cro) is proof of the bad ones

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed the argentina match yesterday watched the 1st half of the recording early this am. Argentina certainly looked the finished product whilst other teams are still tweaking tactics, getting players match fit etc.,

Apart from Argentina yesterday seemed to be africa's day with another great performances by Ivory coast & angola (sorry sorrento:rolleyes: ), though neither won.

:cool:

here we go to the next stage

iran gave a good fight

the referee will go and search for glasses for sure......

mexico is next

On the contrary... Portugal is next :cool:

Hmm, watched first half of US vs. Italy, and Mastroeni's red card was totally wrong... Lampard and Gerrard, among others, have done worse fouls and didn't even got yellow cards. Like Balboa said on ABC's coverage: "makeup red card" as to balance the early referee's first red card vs. Rossi, which only needed a little more elbow to kill McBride.

Then went to finish some work out... grrr btw :mad: , and when I came home I read the game ended 1-1 tied... and the US ended up with 9 players??? WHAT THA!!! I am watching the second half tonight. Also Ghana vs. Czech Republic, because someone told me the guys from Ghana missed two PK's????? WHAT THA??? :)

But I guess this is what all those people deserve, those who said "nah, I am not watching them play... maybe if they win a game I would see the next one" (espn.com)... if they think that kind of support for their NATIONAL TEAM, THE TEAM REPRESENTING THEIR COUNTRY AGAINST THE WORLD will get them anyway, they are pretty much wrong. Shame on them, because all those few who were really interested, and specially all those 30,000 who travelled to Dormunt to watch the game are trully "Americans", while those at home with that bad attitude are not :mad:

1 pt for the US means they have to win vs. Ghana with lots of goal, which could be somehow impossible now, and expect Italy to beat Czech Republic ... a tie from these two or a win from the Czechs would end the US World Cup tournament.

Missed the argentina match yesterday watched the 1st half of the recording early this am. Argentina certainly looked the finished product whilst other teams are still tweaking tactics, getting players match fit etc.,

Apart from Argentina yesterday seemed to be africa's day with another great performances by Ivory coast & angola (sorry sorrento:rolleyes: ), though neither won.

Did you saw the game Supershanks? Whats your opinion: Angola played well, they were lucky, Mexico had bad luck... or did Mexico just played bad???

I ended up really angry after watching the game... but it was more of frustration than blaming them for not scoring at least one of those 10 chances... but I am not a very good critic of my team, thats why I am asking you :)

But I guess this is what all those people deserve, those who said "nah, I am not watching them play... maybe if they win a game I would see the next one" (espn.com)... if they think that kind of support for their NATIONAL TEAM, THE TEAM REPRESENTING THEIR COUNTRY AGAINST THE WORLD will get them anyway, they are pretty much wrong. Shame on them, because all those few who were really interested, and specially all those 30,000 who travelled to Dormunt to watch the game are trully "Americans", while those at home with that bad attitude are not

Just remember that there is a large American Military presence in Germany and the game was played near at least four of the larger installations. It was good to see such a turnout for the Americans. I think the Italians were a little surprised by the crowd noise at first.

I went to a fight and a soccer match broke out! LOL

The second Yellow card against Pope was deserved but the first was not. He was being held the whole time and simply tried to shake off the defender.

As far as the Mastroeni Red card, a cleats up tackle from that position? Another cheap shot against the Americans by Jorge Larrionda who has a history of ruling against the Americans.

Much will be made about the Americans out-fouling the Italians 24-13, but when you're a man down, sometimes it's your best defense.

I don't liked the Mastroeni's card... like I said I have seen a lot of those fouls made by big shot players and so far only once I have seen a red card; it was the Serbia/Montenegro vs. Argentina match... but the fouled player was a bigger star, so that doesn't count. Remember the rule for the Red Card says: any foul, slide mostly, FROM BEHIND, deserves a red card... also others like stopping a shot on goal with a hand, or a foul being the last man between the other player and your goalkeeper (goal opportunity)... Mastroeni's foul was a challenge from the front, the Italian couldn't avoid the hit yet it was not from behind completely. A yellow card would have been a better penalty.

I am glad you watched the game, from the looks of it (only saw first half, will watch second in a short time) the game was very exciting. Also I am not so sure those 30,000 people in the stadium were from the US Military installations... if Mexico had 40,000 people in the stadium yesterday, all travelling from over here to support the team (out of estimated 100,000+), why not 30,000+ of you guys to support your team?

Btw, I saw the game start at ABC... and neither of both nations anthems (Italy and US) were "boooed" (whats the word btw?)... I have it recorded from Univision too, if ABC deleted the audience noise somehow, Univision wouldn't.... there wasn't any thing like that, right? So far the only anthem I have heard insults at was the Argentinian by Serbian fans, and we all know they received what they deserved from the Argentinians in the game LOL.

The numbers of fouls at the end of the game is a tricky number... 24 for the US and 13 for the Italians might say the US used fouls as a tactic, but I think it was more of stopping them because of all the space created between the midfield and the US goal... because the US was 100% attacking, and loosing the ball would be costly. The Serbia/Montenegro vs. Argentina game ended up with 32/10 fouls, and in that game was all about trying to injure the gifted players... something entirely diferent I think, specially since the Serbian/Montenegro team wasn't even on the offense like the US was.

As for still being angry of those "neutral" dudes living in your country, I still am :mad:

Some even mentioned how they prefered Basketball or Baseball... well I am sorry for these "dudes", but the US lost the world cup of Baseball to other 3 teams, being Japan the best country in the world right now, and Cuba second. And in Basketball, well thats hard too since Argentina won the gold medal in the Olympics. If these pseudo-fans only want to see sports where the US wins, then what are they doing? I wonder.

I watched every baseball or basketball game Mexico played in those two tournaments. In Basketball they didn't qualify for the Olympics, yet both times I would hace cheered for them... they represent my country, and thats all its needed IMO. It is a sport, yes it is, but if we are to loose it has to be against a better team... and if we are to win, then it should only be if my team played our best... fanatism doesn't have room in our world. Just my humble opinion.

The World Baseball Classic is something that Major League Baseball pushed for then let the best players off the hook.

The timing couldn't be worse for the MLB players since it happens right before the beginning of the regular season. This means they're coming off their long layoff and have just started training again.

Additionally, the possibility of a big-time player getting hurt in the Classic then missing weeks or months of the regular season is just too much when millions of dollars are on the line.

My favorite sport is College Baseball because there is no media control or input. Just college players doing their best in front of fans that appreciate their efforts. It's the last outpost of top-flight truly amateur athletes and tremendous fans at the same place.

In Spain, Argentina and Brazil professional Basketball is very important, yet because it is not as huge as Football it is also away from all the "media control" you speak of. Also I am not sure about when does the Japanese professional baseball league starts or ends, all I know is they really kicked behinds in this world cup classic, which was at home in the US btw. These were teams of a selection of the best players of all the local leagues, and what I saw in the US team was not medium size players but actually big stars... yet I also saw them not integrating as a team, while the other teams had that. If getting hurt was on their mind, believe me the whole MLB was hurt a lot more.

The best football league in the planet is the Spanish LFP... the biggest teams, biggest players, biggest salaries: Ronaldo earns around 35 mill, while Ronaldinho earns 40 mill, with Zidane in the middle (from both club and outside contracts)... yet they always have problems to ensemble a good national team. Some blame this huge foreign stars, which take the place of locals... now these weasels are saying the same thing over here btw... but the local Spaniard players are really good, nearly as good as the Brazilians, Argentinians and French who play in the league... for me its more of this team ensemble, the way each player integrate into the collective... the Spaniards just don't mix well, and it is sad since IMO they are as good as the Italians, and way better than the Germans and English... and all of these have won the World Cup at least once one way or the other (lol, just joking Supershanks). I think something similar has happened to the US in Baseball, and quite frankly Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, Venezuela and Japan have very strong players if not better than the ones in the US.

How much $$$ in contracts are worth the Argentinian and Brazilian teams??? 1,000+ million? Probably... and so far they are playing really well, just ending a lot of local and continental tournaments (Champions League and Libertadores + local leagues), I think thats something to admire at today's WC.

Quiet enjoyed the italy usa match last night, thought i was going 2 c my 1st world cup 5 a side:)

Did you saw the game Supershanks? Whats your opinion: Angola played well, they were lucky, Mexico had bad luck... or did Mexico just played bad???
- I thought angola played well, mexico were unlucky. It's no different to what we've seen in other games where the favoured side is made to look foolish by a side that puts all their effort in:-

England v trinidad

Italy v usa

France v Switzerland

I ended up really angry after watching the game... but it was more of frustration than blaming them for not scoring at least one of those 10 chances
Welcome to my world:) :shake:

By the way does any1 else see the budweiser adverts during world cup coverage, think their excellent have kept me amused.