The AMD 3GHz Club

Thanks FlowerKing, I have another question.I have no floppy drive in this case so to do bios upgrade i purchased a new bios chip from bios upgrades they say that their bios is a better than the ones from the download page at DFI?? Now is this correct? The last time I tried to do the bios update my system crashed for some reason and would not post again. I was told to remove battery from board and let it sit, I did this for a few days and replaced it and reset Optimized settings all seems well. In the mean time my new bios chip came. I'm pretty new at doing the bios so should I leave well enough alone? Well hope this is enough info. Thanks again..

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks FlowerKing, I have another question.I have no floppy drive in this case so to do bios upgrade i purchased a new bios chip from bios upgrades they say that their bios is a better than the ones from the download page at DFI?? Now is this correct? The last time I tried to do the bios update my system crashed for some reason and would not post again. I was told to remove battery from board and let it sit, I did this for a few days and replaced it and reset Optimized settings all seems well. In the mean time my new bios chip came. I'm pretty new at doing the bios so should I leave well enough alone? Well hope this is enough info. Thanks again..

I've never had a floppy drive, always used WinFlash from within windows.

Like CPDMF states, TMod's cd does wonders as well. I don't know what magic bios is better than the ones available for download from DFI, since those are the bios' made by the magic man himself, Oskar Wu.

What I always do is clear cmos settings (reset to default in bios) then boot into windows and flash the bios with WinFlash. Worked everytime so far. :)

Working on my 165 currently half an hour into dual prime at 3004 @ 1.525Vcore.

Wicked dude, how long you had that chip for? Get tired of the 170?

So what does everyone think of my new sig? Classy eh?

A HUGE thanks to Uncle John for creating this, I kinda stole his thunder since he created it for himself and I was so impressed I got him to do me one and I posted mine up first! (John, clear your PM's btw ;))

He got everything looking hell nice, the DFI on the shirt is just the icing on the cake for me, I'm thinking of giving him another 50MHz for this effort! :D

The sig is way cool TFK. I've been working with Fireworks and finding out that I should stick to building engines. Never spent so much time making something look like crap as I did when I tried to build my own sig. lol

I picked up an Ultra-D so I can throw an X2 in it and use it as my main rig while I pull out all the stops on my expert and 148 so I can flog the hell out of this database. When I was just getting the feel for the CPU on pelts I really thought it could go 3300 so we will find out.

Thanks CPDMF, I was thinking about trying to get one standard for C3G, just need some feedback from the club members as to whether they like that idea.

I'm thinking of working on my engine in the future, just some headers and exhaust, hopefully all my clocking experience has given me a bit more of a technical engineering type mindset.

I'm thinking of a x2 as well, for my second pc and retiring the 148, I don't know if I would get much resale on it, and I view good pc equipment like musical gear, you just don't sell it as you'll regret it in the future. Plus it could be handy in a htpc.. (I'm just trying to make excuses to buy a new toy to play with now).

BTW. I reckon that pelt is going to kill the competition for top place (not that there was any "real" comp heh) but I'm looking forward to seeing the results, and it'll also be well suited for the other idea I have for this thread.. notice how there is a "reserved" post after the GGG rankings.. ;)

I was thinking the reserved spot was for those CPU's that gave their life for the GGG club.

What are you going to use the reserved for?

I'll tell you what though. I have only had a couple of days to play with this X2 but I'm liking it. Picked up a few frames avererge in BF2, minimum frames went up by 5 on a 62 player map with arty dropping. I look at minimum frames as my baseline because those droops are what gets you fragged. I hang onto hardware for awhile myself. I still see unproven 146 and 148's going for good money. 3.0 Opty's bring real money though.

I think this 148 will keep in my cupboard, it's just too good to give away at current prices.

The reserved spot.. I was thinking that the main thing about GGG was that it's about stability, yet these are great chips and sometimes we like to push them further, a bit like taking your road car to the track.

I don't know how it'll go down, but mayhaps a drag strip idea where we run a Top Ten Pi1M Pi32M, 3dM01/03/05/06, no Prime required, just as fast as you can go. I dunno, just looking for ways to bring some more fun into the club.

Guest Timmay

I will definitly be holding on to my 144. When I get around to grabing a 3800, you can be sure I will be flogging the hell out of it with the help of TFK - If thats ok with him :P

BTW @ TKF, I just grabbed a 320GB hard drive... Media time :D