The AMD 3GHz Club

I think this 148 will keep in my cupboard, it's just too good to give away at current prices.

The reserved spot.. I was thinking that the main thing about GGG was that it's about stability, yet these are great chips and sometimes we like to push them further, a bit like taking your road car to the track.

I don't know how it'll go down, but mayhaps a drag strip idea where we run a Top Ten Pi1M Pi32M, 3dM01/03/05/06, no Prime required, just as fast as you can go. I dunno, just looking for ways to bring some more fun into the club.

Flowerking look at this:

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pitest35ze.jpg

Sonic Tower and 120mm fan:)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neezer

FlowerKing, I love this thread. I cannot overclock at all though. When I go into my BIOS, I can't change the multiplier, or the fsb. I was just thinking about the first post that lists all of the entries in the OCDB. It would be cool If you could just put the links into two columns. One for single cores, and one for dual cores.

Ivan - that is an awesome Pi time! Wastes my personal best with 3.28GHz!

John - I can't thank you enough for the sig, just perfection! My sig has gone from trailer trash to the penthouse suite in one swoop!

Neezer - that's how I originally had the rankings, this weekend may see them go back that way.. ;)

To all - is there any interest in setting up the raceday rankings? I was thinking aggregate scores, lowest Pi1M + Pi32M time, highest 3dM01+03+05+06 scores. Any clocks, any ram (ram doesn't have to be the same for all runs), as long as there are 2 cpu-z's (cpu and ram tabs) and A64Tweaker (to show ram timings), or maybe that new A64Info (which I'm yet to try). My aim is to provide an outlet to show and share various benching skills, I can run Super Pi easy as, but tweaking for it is another matter.. I was thinking GGG membership would be a prerequisite (since they are club games) but also, on the other hand I was thinking to make it open for all, since more interaction is more knowledge.. but I don't want to be the one dictating this, I want club input, I may have started this thread and edit the rankings but I don't view this as my thread, more of a democratic club and what the people say goes!

I don't have a problem with bench races. Could prove to be fun. I have some pretty killer 2 X 256 BH5 that is only good for benching anyway. 2 2 2 @ 260 should bring some pretty serious PI's.

Don't know how the 3D bench will work for the GGG. Just seems like we would have to make too many different categories to have any useful comparisons.

Yeah, I was way iffy on the 3d part of it, I think it's going to be best to stick to Pi for the meantime. Cpu/ram intensive stuff, otherwise we're really just going to be comparing within our gfx card groups..

Let's say we have three sections, Pi1M, Pi32M and combined, with the main rankings coming from the combined?

Sounds pretty good to me. I haven't shot for any crazy benches in a long time. Usually just use benches when I'm trying to finalise an OC to see if I'm going in the right direction with my tweaking.

Guest Timmay

I'm in for having a go at benching Super PI ect, but as for 3DMarks - :mad: Please don't, Only reason I have it installed on my machine is for the OCDB... Its just who ever has the most money in GPUs wins.

Im working on a 304x10 Prime run at the moment. It's about two and a half hours in so far. So with a bit of luck and a following wind i might be able to better my earlier OCDB entry :D

I thought that i'd better give an update to this post as it was a while ago. As you might have guessed, i did'nt get the "following wind". Major crash which wiped the O/S and corrupted the bios(thank god for Acronis True Image!!!!). Anyway after a few days of trying to find the cause, i think i may have cracked it. The problem is a mixture of HT multi and cpu temp. I found that by manually controlling the fans on the Mach2 and lowering the HT multi to 2.5 all is sweetness and light :D . The problem with the cpu temp was that at -10 under dual Prime at 304x10 it would lock up after a couple of hours and corrupt everything. By lowering the fan speeds so that under dual Prime, the cpu is at -6 to -8 it runs like a dream. Anyway, i'm now running dual Prime at 304x10, if all goes to plan i should be back in about 7 hours with the OCDB entry for 3040ghz.

Edit:ah well, failed at 2hrs 22mins :( I've just lowered it to 303x10, let's see how that goes.

I'm liking the Superpi idea. Haha. But no 3D for me, my gfx is only a 6600 which is severely undervolted by the manufacturer. And highest Gpu wins, simple as that.

My Opteron has a problem though. PCI-E bus 105Mhz constant all the while, problem is i can't do over 3.1Ghz for some odd reason. I've tried on 1:2 divider and all sorts of voltages. I'm thinking it can't be heat as my idle on 1.45V should be less than 50C [it's hot in Singapore] as well. Not sure on this. Any other wacky ideas other than getting better cooling ?

And i'm trying to get the prime up to speed. Have been figuring out how to hit 3Ghz with lowest voltage and i can only clock at high. [in the day load temps rise by more than 3C] And no more lowest voltage for me, i'm thinking my chip would want somewhere around 1.53-1.56V for 3GHz.

Guest MadDias

yeah.. lets do some unstable overclocking just for fun ;)

here is my "meaningless" screenshot of superpi 32m at 3,1GHz taken before i did my 3G ocdb entry..

superpi2ro.th.jpg

unfortunately i can´t repeat this superpi run, because my cpu doesn´t like 3,1GHz anymore..

the mem-bandwidth will go down at this clock, it´s even slower now at 3,1 than at 3,025GHz.

i´m glad i did this shot when everything was working fine.

Guest Darien
I thought that i'd better give an update to this post as it was a while ago. As you might have guessed, i did'nt get the "following wind". Major crash which wiped the O/S and corrupted the bios(thank god for Acronis True Image!!!!). Anyway after a few days of trying to find the cause, i think i may have cracked it. The problem is a mixture of HT multi and cpu temp. I found that by manually controlling the fans on the Mach2 and lowering the HT multi to 2.5 all is sweetness and light :D . The problem with the cpu temp was that at -10 under dual Prime at 304x10 it would lock up after a couple of hours and corrupt everything. By lowering the fan speeds so that under dual Prime, the cpu is at -6 to -8 it runs like a dream. Anyway, i'm now running dual Prime at 304x10, if all goes to plan i should be back in about 7 hours with the OCDB entry for 3040ghz.

Edit:ah well, failed at 2hrs 22mins :( I've just lowered it to 303x10, let's see how that goes.

Nice one kitfit1... keep pushing it!!! I'm totally jealous... I had to put my GGG compter in storage until I open my new office... now I wanna pull it out and see if I can get 335 x 9 to push myself up the ranks.. but I seriously doubt I'll be catching you even at 303 x 10... good job and good luck.