The AMD 3GHz Club

You make some good points SoundX. If the cutoff is going to be 2.8 then there should be a level of effort to qualify, It needs to pushing over stock voltage and a DRAM Config page that isn't all auto's.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darien
Fine, scratch the "Up and Coming" mention (elitest bahstads) :D

(hmmm, Dual Core on Air at 2.8+ vs SC on water at 3, which is harder to do and faster? 3D06 test anyone)

Remember the Club was started to encourage more OCDB entries, and I suggested U & C section for an aid to gaining membership.

And if a rule change is made, ALL the members of the club should vote, and only the members.

But no Darien, yours is not good enough.

NO ADMITTANCE WITHOUT A VALID OCDB ENTRY (Rule #2)

Hmmm... read ALL of my post.. I was NOT asking for exception

but quite frankly I don't care... because I'm not looking for special treatment and the bar doesn't need to be lowered for me... I'll get an honest 3GHz OCDB entry...

and note that It was not my idea to bend the rules...

That said I completly understand when you say

(hmmm, Dual Core on Air at 2.8+ vs SC on water at 3, which is harder to do and faster?

That's why their should be a AMD Dual Core 3GHz Club.... because the main difference is single vs. dual cores.... ofcourse as it stands now their would only be 2 members... 3 when I get my OCDB entry.... but again.. it's to encourage more OCDB entries

It doesn't matter what kind of club you start these days. It always turns into a compromise and people start bitching because they feel what they do must be harder than what others accomplish.

Overclocking a dual core to 3.0 isn't harder than overclocking a Single. Fact of the matter is, there are less Dual Cores capable of actually pulling 3.0 than Single cores. If you have competent skills, it's this simple. Some will, Some won't.

Guest Darien
It doesn't matter what kind of club you start these days. It always turns into a compromise and people start bitching because they feel what they do must be harder than what others accomplish.

Overclocking a dual core to 3.0 isn't harder than overclocking a Single. Fact of the matter is, there are less Dual Cores capable of actually pulling 3.0 than Single cores. If you have competent skills, it's this simple. Some will, Some won't.

true true.... of all the socket A chips I had (6-7)... it was harder get my IDYHA to 245 than it was for me to get my IQYHA to 260, or any of my others to 250...

after all computer skills = knowledge + experience + persistence... so ofcourse it's Hardware dependent... the fact that there aren't as many Dual Cores Capable of reaching 3GHz's adds to the difficulty because the first part of overclocking is getting the hardware in the first place.... and yes, it was much harder for me to find a DC opty capable of 3GHz... this is my 4th one...

just pointing out the simple fact that you don't see that many 3GHz dual cores... you're much more likely to see 3GHz single cores.. and that when you literally see 10 times as many SC entries than DC entires... the DC's are distinguished as a separate class... just because they are so rare.. regardless of the reason...

lowering the bar to 2.8GHz is going to admit MANY more dual cores... which may be a good thing IMO... but then we can't really call it the 3GHz club can we?

I've said all along it's all about luck. Anyone can up the voltage and run Prime95 with default memory timings.. Skill doesn't even enter the picture unless someone starts tightening up the timings. My 3050MHz 4GB OCDB entry took absolutely no more skill then a stock entry did. This thread shows off AMD's cream of the crop that the lucky few have been able to obtain. Nothing more nothing less.

Now you're just showing off Praz.

Showing off what? As for as I'm concerned my stock DB entry did take skill. But my 3GB entries nor anyone else's took any more skill. The only thing that differentiates my stock entry from any of the 3GB entries is that at 3GB we were fortunate enough to get the best of what AMD has produced. If anyone thinks because they are able to complete a 3GB entry that puts them in some kind of elite class as for as skill is concerned they are sadly mistaken.

I'm not saying it does. All I'm saying is if a person was lucky enough to get the right processor, he raises VCORE some, sets the timings to auto and picks a divider that his memory will run at a 3.0 entry is a matter of hours away. Other then showcasing an extraordinary chip from AMD I fail to see how this is any more spectacular then an entry someone spends hours on tweaking every last setting for maximum performance, overclocked or not.

I did this along time ago. I'm sure I've posted before. Done better since but since no cigar I didn't save the screenies. Or bother to update my post.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=177 (290X10)

That might get me in the wannabe ggg club.LOL Here's some pi's I did last night . At those same old settings if anyone is interested.

s8eo.th.jpg

I'm afraid for a real "GGG" post in the OCDB I'm still abit shy in the cooling dept. (My nf2's are costing me big time.) 300 or 3000 takes skill and luck.. I try to get the best stability and proformance longetivity I can. I have no real goals except to improve on what I've done before.

Guest Darien
I did this along time ago. I'm sure I've posted before. Done better since but since no cigar I didn't save the screenies. Or bother to update my post.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=177 (290X10)

That might get me in the wannabe ggg club.LOL Here's some pi's I did last night . At those same old settings if anyone is interested.

s8eo.th.jpg

I'm afraid for a real "GGG" post in the OCDB I'm still abit shy in the cooling dept. (My nf2's are costing me big time.) 300 or 3000 takes skill and luck..

No I'm sorry Clay... you just aren't cool enuff to be in the GGG club... even with an OCDB entry :P lol j/k

seriously though... I didn't even know you had a socket 940 system??? dang! how many 'puters do u have?

but I agree... skill and luck... to quote a Movie "Hard work is mandatory, but luck plays a larger role than most of us will admit."

I'll stick to the old addage, "It's better to be lucky than good."