Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review Uncledavid218 I ended up getting the 600W one because it was on sell and I saved 80 bucks. The 600W works awesome I have these devices on it and it does not even flinch:

Lanparty UT SLI-DR Expert (BIOS 04/06/2006)

AMD64 3000+ winnie@2574 on air

EVGA 7900GT KO 256MB

OCZ PC4000 (DDR500) Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB)

4 X Hitachi 80 gig SATA RAID0

GIGABYTE GH-PDU21-MF CPU Cooler

Liteon DVD Writer with Light scribe

3.5 floppy

2 X 120mm Blue LED fans

2 X 80mm Blue LED fans

PCI slot cooler

2.5 20gig firewire hard drive

USB 80gig hard drive

Logitech 3D extreme Joystick

3 X Blue LED lights

Also my power flickered and everything in my house reset except for my computer when the monitor come back on the computer was still on and did not restart or shut down and the nice wiring and sleeves on them really cleaned my case up. Anyone trying to decide what PSU to get cant go wrong with either GameXStream IMO.

Now, my time to say something about this PSU...

The majority of comments by UncleDavid fit percfectly with the 700W version also.

So to begin i'll leave some photos...

DSC00906.jpg

This was the mess in wich i had my things when i had to remove my Be-Quiet in a hurry to send it to it's buyer....

DSC00929.jpg

A better picture displaying the real size of the PSU cabling. I was used to long cable with my Be-Quiet. But theese are even longer...

I was starting my "cable management" and cleaning session....

I had some issues with this PSU and it's fan grill. I was unable to insert it in the case. So i had to remove the grill. I could have simply turned over the PSU. However that would be very good to airflow i guess... And it wasn't so difficult to do so. I even took the oportunity to install some rubber o-rings to help reduce some vibration... So, Aerocool Baydream and similar case owners, beware! Even though the grill is recessed it still may cause some problems.

DSC00939.jpg

Final look of a thing that almost took me 2 days to achieve (i've done it in spare times... i guess to have taken 6 to 10 hours in total to reassemble the pc) . I desperatly need a big Lian. That molex shouldn't be poking downthere... But that was where i made my reading. Now it is hidden....

DSC00954.jpg

Used this to do some readings.

Theese were the values i got:

voltages.png

I should make a note saying that for instance where it is reporting 12.32/33 the DMM was reading 12.329. Therefore oscilating between 32/33 values. Same to other values.

That's it folks!

It's a good PSU. Stable. Nice looking. However, a bit noisy! Nothing i can't support. Sthill i was used to Be-Quiet's. Those are SILENT compared to this. Even at idle this PSU is noticeable. Maybe i shouldn't have such a sillent computer. Even my nerves start to get affected by this, especially at night when the house is silent, i'll shurely do some mods to it's fan. It certainly lacks a speed controler. The fan revving always at full throttle can get to your ears if you tend to spend large amounts of time on your computer (especially if him and the environment are quite silent).

Just my 0.02€!

:P

Ok, I just installed my 700W GameXStream, replacing what's currently in my sig for PSU's...

Here's whats SmartGuardian reports to me..

ATX +12V : 12.22V

ATX +5.0V : 4.86V

ATX +3.3V : 3.18V

Why the heck are my voltages so low????

he's just wanting to know if you are not overloading one rail (i.e 10 120mm fans on one plug, etc)...

You can 't really go by software readings. If you really want to know what they are you need to check them with a multimeter...