Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

I read the recommended psu thread and this one, and didn't find an answer to my question. Evga's site is down and I was unable to find anything on nVidea's site about power requirements for the 7950GX2.

I just ordered the 700w GXS, and need an answer to this question fast.

I have a 7950GX2 and I'm pretty certain it states I need a minimum of 22a on the 12v rail and the GXS shows 4x12v @ 18a. Are the pci-e seperate from the 12v rail. My understanding of psu rails isn't the best.

My 600w Enermax has 2x12v rails @ 22a, and is working fine.

Is this badass psu gonna work for me? If not, I need to cancel quick.

Edit: Never mind, I got my answer.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be worth swapping my current green Powerstreem 600w for a GameXtreem?

The PowerStream 600 will do a great job for your current setup.

An SLI rig with two 7900GTXs or X1900XTX, you'll need to upgrade to the GameXtream 700

I installed my new OCZ700GXSSLI last night, and so far it seems to be performing just fine.

One question, though. my +3.3v, +5v and +5VSB all seem to be running a little weak, compared to my Enermax.

The +3.3v=3.28, the +5v=4.86, and the +5VSB=4.91v. My Enermax was like 3.34, 5.06, 5.04. The 12v looks good at 12.41, about where my Enermax was. These readings are all from bios.

My question is, has anyone else noticed the 3.3v and the two 5v running weaker than their previous psu.

1. I'm aware that bios and other programs that monitor voltages are not 100% accurate.

2. I know that those voltages are well within tolerance.

3. I know the only way to get an accurate reading is with a multi-meter, which I have, but don't want to do now as I just got this all together in a new TT armor. And it doesn't answer the question.

My concern is that my Enermax never dropped below spec, on any of the rails.

Is this typical of OCZ?

I started noticing more fluctuation on the +5v and 3.3v rail, so as I stated earlier , I checked my voltages with a multi-meter.

This is what I got:

+5v

bootup = 4.92v to 4.94v

desktop = 4.93v to 4.94v

Prime95 = 4.93v, about 2 minutes into Prime95 it staerted fluctuating back and forth between 4.82v and 4.94v.

+12v

bootup = 12.21 moving quickly to 12.26/12.27

desktop = 12.26/12.27

Prime95 = fluctuating from 12.16 to 12.28, most of the time staying at 12.27.

I didn't check 3.3v, because I spent too much time getting cables squared away to rip anything out right now.

The 3.3v and +5vsb also read low.

All the fluctuations I saw, were all in a downward direction. At no time did the +5v get any closer to +5v than 4.94v.

I realize these are somewhat minor fluctuations, but fluctuations none the less. On the 12v under load there was a swing from 12.16v to 12.28v. The only other psu I've owned and put a multi-meter on is an Enermax 600w. The 12v stayed at 12.25v to 12.26v from bootup to Prime95, and +5v and 3.3v never dropped below spec., and had no real fluctuations at all. This is my only experience with psu's and is what I am used to.

I am NOT trying to bash this product. I have read too many reviews stating what an excellent psu it is, and have heard from too many people on this site that are happy with it, to believe they are not good.

Never the less, my multi-meter does not discriminate, and it tells me that this psu is not nearly as solid and stable as my Enermax. I am not looking for a feud between owners of both brands, on which is better.

I need to know if others are experiencing low voltages on the 3.3v 5v and 5vsb, and this is normal for OCZ, or if I got one that is slightly weak.

I'll probably dig into it later and check the +3.3v, but I'm already pretty sure they will read low.

I have decisions to make, and those thieving s.o.b.'s at Monarch, don't give you a lot of time to maneuver.

Thanks

Edit: I checked my 3.3v and it was spot on. It clicked one time to 3.29v, but other than that it sat right at 3.30v from bootup through load.

I re-checked the 12v and 5v under 100% load in Prime, and the 12v swung from 12.07v to 12.26v.

I know it's not under 12v, and is probably not a problem. I only mention it to show that it had a wider fluctuation than earlier.

@Burleyboy

Believe it or not, what you're seeing is really a normal function.

Every time I've seen someone say their rails never fluctuate I've taken it with a grain of salt. A multi-meter is not a good indicator of moving voltages. Even the placement of the probes can cause the tiny changes you report. A film of hand oils on the probes will introduce changes in voltage like you report.

The only accurate way to measure voltage changes over time is with a recording O-Scope and high quality probes. Anything less is really a waste of time.

Every PSU will fluctuate. It's a function of the line power coming into the house. Put a recording O-Scope on the line and watch it go to town. Just your refrigerator kicking on will introduce a dip into the wall power.

I have pretty goofy power here since Katrina so let me tell you about power fluctuations. I get voltage swings from 98 on the low side to 119 on the high side. The low range is mostly in the afternoon and evening when everyone is running their A/C at max and the dips can last for up to half a second. That's long enough for my UPS to kick in.