Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is drawing me back here isn't that.

I know that about the 600W.

It's this that is braking my mind...

I can't make my mind up cause i know i would feel better with the 700W, but around here it is A LOT more $$. The 600W would be more suitable to my wallet...

However i DO NOT WANT EVER AGAIN to feel the same problems by spending money in a PSU and afterwards having to resell it cause it isn't enough...

Consider this: next gen CPUs will consume less power... DDR2 consumes less power... hard drives will eventually be obsolete and we'll all be using flash based drives, which consume less power... Blue-Ray/HD-DVD drives will consume the same amount of power, etc. The only thing I see increasing in power draw is video cards, but even then this will definately satisfy those as long as you never go quad SLI. I can't tell you enough that this PSU will be good for a couple years.

Just pick a couple of your semi bad habits that you blow 2-5 bucks a day on...cut back a week or two and the difference between the two prices is negated and you have the PSU that you really want...

If it means waiting another week or two, then wait. These aren't going to disappear and you won't be second guessing after you've compromised...

Im having all this hardtime picking one simply because i do not want to commit two errors i did on the past.

First, to spend money in a PSU that soon would have to be replaced since it would be underpowered.

Second, to spend more money than needed, like with this 3500+, when an inferior version would perfectly do the same work, like a 3200+ or even a 3000+.

This could do a movie script....

Argh, i hate theese situations... Not that i do not have power of will, but i really do not want to commit the same errors twice...

If at least there was a 650W PSU...

:rolleyes:

Of course you will know more a year from now than you do now. So you're making the best decision with the information you have available to you so you really shouldn't kick yourself. Make the choice you feel more confident with. I'm sure there is one you're leaning towards more, you're just not sure if its the right one - go with it.

I got the same dilema, I want to know if its worth the money to go with a Opty 170 over a 165 but so far only 2 people replied to me. At least you got a lot of people helping you with your questions so if all these smart people are going both ways than chances are you can't lose either way. Plus, you know better what you can afford right now as well as what you can afford down the line.

The ATI x1900XTX has a peak power draw of almost 10Amps.

You would need a 700W GameXtream for two of them in CrossFire mode at the very least.

There are no new PSU specifications in the pipeline for approval. It normally takes two years from proposal to publication before you see anything on the street.

The ATI x1900XTX has a peak power draw of almost 10Amps.

You would need a 700W GameXtream for two of them in CrossFire mode at the very least.

There are no new PSU specifications in the pipeline for approval. It normally takes two years from proposal to publication before you see anything on the street.

Humn...

My impression or that detail is not at the PSU recomendation thread?

Things, details like this were what i would like to hear...

To know what to expect from each PSU.

Not "they are both fine". "They'll do the job".

If that's so, why did they made two different PSUs then?

Humn... If that's so, why did they made two different PSUs then?

Honestly?!?! Marketing. They try to hit certain price-points and power ratings. There is very little difference in actual performance but the 700W has a higher output on the 3.3V and 5V rails than the 600W version.