Amd AM2 or Conroe

Conroe.

AM2 is sexy, yeah, but Conroe/Merom is really gonna hurt AMD. Core2 chips are beign manufactured FAST, AMD is gonna have to get some financial backing just to keep up with their current market share, and Intel is about to finally release a good product. AM2 offers more of the same, and Conroe just shows that Intel knows P4s were a mistake.

By the time AMD gets a 65nm chip in production, Intel will have flooded the market with 45nm chips. It looks desperate for AMD.

In AM2's defense, they overclock very well, and will put out awesome numbers, but Core2 is just a faster platform and processor, period.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah , well i have to just wait and see :)

i still have plenty of time to cancel the cpu order because "pre ordered" , not

published here just yet but the mushkin ddr2 memory is a MUST :nod:

Well i guess i have nothing else to ask this time...

At least you are open for suggestion. Conroe is huge I will tell you. Whether it will stay bigger than AMD is still unknown they could be OC duds that reach a massive 2.8GHZ (stock is 2.66GHz) with only the best chips and be constant burn outs.

Conroe.

AM2 is sexy, yeah, but Conroe/Merom is really gonna hurt AMD. Core2 chips are beign manufactured FAST, AMD is gonna have to get some financial backing just to keep up with their current market share...

like IBM? ;)

guess who would eat whom alive...Intel or IBM... :nod:

like IBM? ;)

guess who would eat whom alive...Intel or IBM... :nod:

Like Samsung, or Toshiba hopefully.

IBM has given them lots of R&D leading to Hypertransport, and they gave them the On-Die memory controller design that lead them to where they are. IBM will give them Cell-Core if they want AMD to fight back, but the main thing is even if AMD has a competitive product, they need more money than technology, they can't make their chips fast enough.

IBM could turn the industry inside-out overnight if they wanted to, and they've played teh Devil's advocate pretty well so far, but I assume they were only preventing intel from having a monopoly over the market until they're ready to take it all back.

All hail Big Blue!

Conroe will be faster at a cheaper price.

Most of the benchmarks we have seen do overestimate the advantage, however.

Also, AMD is probably cutting their prices down quickly so that they live at a similar price/performance level.

Well, a Conroe is about to break the 10s 1M superpi barrier and has just broke 5GHz... something amd chips have had problems doing. They OC'ed the chip to 3.8GHz on air and think it'll go to 4.2GHz on water. Of course that's an ES but you get the picture. (Better than AMD)

I'm going to Conroe, ASAP.