Blue ray...

So when do you guys think those Blue-Ray DVD's will start appearing at blockbuster?

Also when we be able to buy that stuff at newegg? (Media and burner's)

i havnt heard anything about how much the actual media is going to cost. 1080p INPUT capable lcd tvs are just hitting the market so a small segment will invest in that format by this holiday season. so then more people will want 1080p capable output but if the player is around $1000 and the movies are like 40$ then whats the point.

i guess this is why Sony is willing to take a loss on the PS3, nobody in his right mind would spend $900 on a bluray drive when he can get a PS3 for $600, but 70$ for a bluray PS3 game, give me a f******** break.

this battle will be one for the ages, i NEVER thought i would be saying this but i'm routing for Microsoft. if they can launch the xbox 360 HD-DVD at 1080p instead of 1080i, and for under $300 then Sony is done for.

has anyone heard if that USB HD-DVD drive is susposed to work with PC too?

EDIT: in fact, Microsoft is going to carry this HDDVD format on its back to get it moving, it wont allow it to fail, theres too much at stake long-term. M$ can theoretically alienate blu-ray to be a format exclusively for the PS3 and nobody will put $ into that, like the PSP movies. then its going to be a straight competetion of games and who can bring the best titles at the lowest price to its console. m$ is throwing $ at the developers for exclusive content, plus ive heard the 360 is a much easier platform to develop for, sony is in for a tough few years to make up any ground here.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

900$ for a blueray burner jeez, but hey u will be burner 25/50 gbs onto one disc

Anyone who buys any of those is a rich moron. First off, we don't even know which is the standard. HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Reminiscent of the Betamax vs VHS showdown. Personally, I think HD-DVD is going to win out. If nothing, just on Sony's track record with formats.

Remember ATRAC? Remember UMD? Their crappy MagicGate DRM?

Well, add Blu-Ray to the graveyard too...

Perhaps I'm a bit of an audio/video snob, but the fact that my PS2 plays DVD's is of no consequence to me, nor will the PS3 being able to play blu-ray content. I will not use a gaming console to play audio/video content other than games. I just feel that they are inferior to a stand-alone solution.

Anyone who buys any of those is a rich moron. First off, we don't even know which is the standard. HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Reminiscent of the Betamax vs VHS showdown. Personally, I think HD-DVD is going to win out. If nothing, just on Sony's track record with formats.

First off, the first of anything is expensive, and there always seems to be formats coming out together. Without people with the money or desire for that gear the prices would never come down and the quality wouldn't improve nearly as fast.

Keep in mind also the last 'battle' between formats was DVD-Audio and SACD - which is technically still going on as many people haven't seen the point in high-def music. I have a feeling this may come into play with these new video formats as regular DVDs look very good on large screens, and processing (like that from Faroudja, I'm sure there are others) can make it look even better.

Personally I don't care which format wins out.

i think the overall adoption of blueray will remain osolated. in the short term if a PS3 owner wants to watch some high def content then yes, he will probibly pick up some media instead of spending more $ on an HD-DVD drive for the same purpose. but thats assuming he doeant already have an XBOX 360 with its own HD-DVD capability. $600 is a LOT of money for a core console system and if someone can justify that for a PS3 this holiday then chances are good he also justified the $400 for XB360 last year too.

come christmas HD-DVD will have a huge head-start thanks to the current $500 Toshiba machine, the availability of the upcoming XB360 USB drive, and all the players that come out in the meantime. plus there will be STOCK of HD-DVD titles this holiday, Blu-Ray will still be vaporware for anyone who didnt shell out $$$$ for a dedicated player and consider the gamer waiting to buy a PS3... no way in hell would he spend $1000 to buy a standalone Blu-ray player in the meantime, and the PS3 will be nearly impossible to get for months into 2007. the format is all but dead before it even launches. even then PS3 owner will be trying to keep up with expensive launch games, not spending $ on Blu-Ray movies.

then understand that M$ IS SUPPORTING HD-DVD... when Vista becomes mainstream next year and the new machines from Dell and Compaq ect are shipping with HD-DVD drives, complete with HDMI interface and first party support built right into Vista to allow hookup to 720/1080p TVs, (which will be much more affordable by the end of this year too.) it will bring HD-DVD to the masses.

thats whats holding Vista up and thats why theres all this talk of minimum system specs, "compatible" (HDMI lincensed) video cards, mobos and monitors. ALMOST NOTHING we have in the PC world at the moment supports HDMI which is basically a hardware enabled copywrite standard that only functions in its native 720/1080 forms.

i really hope to find a good LCDTV at the end of the year with DVI support, i think DVI might not be supported for much longer once Vista gets underway. contrary to what most peopel think DVI is not fully compatable with HDMI, if you want to connect your video card(DVI) to a HDTV(HDMI), you cannot use TVs native 1:1 resolution, HDMI only accepts the HD resolutions and then scales the TV, which means text turns to s***.

This is VCR and Betas all over agan the first units were insanly expensive but eventualy became cheap as dirt- at least the winner did. Cd's and DVD's were the same way. The winner will soon be cheap most likly and some people will have very expensive but worthless equipment. Quite a bit before DVD there were video disks that actualy had higher quality than the DVD's but never seemed to catch on another expensive toythough probibily usefull if you got every episode of mash or something of the like. Sadly it often seems like sony has the best tecnology and looses the battle anyway. Ether would be fine for now though Blue ray has a higer potental long term.

I will wait untell it is avalable for the masses and shows up at wallmart for around 100 though I wont buy it at wallmart as those people are causing a lot of harm.