Passive Cooling on the Northbridge? Possible?

I'm not sure that works on the Expert, tried one of those on a SLI-DR, was quite simple but not so good in practic.

Here is another picture of that mod if anyone wants to try it: Link

The VC-RE is very quiet at full speed plus you can wind the RPM down via SmartGuardian/SpeedFan to make it absolutely silent. Being solid copper also means that even at low RPM it seems to keep the temps well down. Highly recommended

All you need is a decent 80mm fan blowing dirctly on the stock fan you can turn it off or way down to 1000RPM-2000 from like 6 in bios smartgardian or program of choice. Cant hear it and temps on low 40's.

I use the JingTing heatpipe cooler, mounted in the 10 O'clock position, without its fan, as a passive cooler. It max's at 48C on the NF4 in total silence. It sits just behind my X1900 in the top slot.

I gotta say, the VC-RE is definitely the way to go. I think it actually gives just a tiny bit more clearance for the vid card.

But if you're that set on passive cooling their are lots of ways to approach it. Be creative and post pics of your mod!

Okay... those passive heatpipe coolers are HUGE. Although I can move my video card to the 2nd PCI-E slot, I'm actually planning on getting SLI for christmas this year. So, that I definitely don't wanna do that.

Now, you guys are selling me on this evercool. Now, I don't mind active cooling, as long as it is silent. My machine is overclocked right now from 2.2 ghz to 2.8 ghz. I'm probably going to try to coax 3.0 ghz out of this machine.

Even under full blow, is the evermax loud? More importantly, if it isn't loud, is the fan high pitched? Because that can even be more annoying...

Nah, the evercool vc-re is very very quiet even at full bore. So, if you're gonna O/C this thing shouldn't you be worried about your temps, and not the noise? If I could get my CPU past 2.5ghz and keep my tight ram timings I wouldn't be worried about the noise... I'd want uber cooling.

Seems kinda like worrying about the noise might be a little counterproductive...

Get a chea AC freezer 4 on ebay...a nice dremel and do this: http://www.diskusjon.no/uploads/post-24-1122498589.jpg

http://www.diskusjon.no/uploads/post-24-1121727920.jpg

That would freeze your chipset ^^

That is a very nice passive solution that looks very effective with the AC silencer sucking air through those fins. SVC has the AC Freezer 4 for $19.99.

http://svc.com/arcticcooling-cpu.html

Nah, the evercool vc-re is very very quiet even at full bore. So, if you're gonna O/C this thing shouldn't you be worried about your temps, and not the noise? If I could get my CPU past 2.5ghz and keep my tight ram timings I wouldn't be worried about the noise... I'd want uber cooling.

Seems kinda like worrying about the noise might be a little counterproductive...

My system is pretty cool, my CPU loads at about 36 and idles about 29. Both are Celsius of course.

Man, I want an Evercool VC-RE. Too bad they're not selling 'em around here.

I have been thinking along the lines of passive cooling as well, but I know it won't do with a small heatsink like a Zalman - NB47J without any aircooling.

So I'm weighing these two options:

1. ThermalTake - Extreme Spirit. I think it will fit for my VGA card (which arrives monday) but its still a source of noise.

2. Zalman - NB47J with some aircooling. Its a little problematic since I don't want to place a fan in a way that robs the CPU cooler of fresh air. I'm thinking I could mount a 8-12cm fan diagonally from the corner of the motherboard and to the 'northeast', in an angle that supplies both chipset and CPU cooler with fresh air.

What do you guys think?

endresult2jd.jpg