overclocking amd x2 4800

jlqrb

I found the same thing on my 4800. My memory happily clocked to 265mhz (530mhz effective) when running on my 3700 San Diego. It will also do the same on the 4800 if I stay below 2.65ghz on the cpu. But anything above that and my memory just starts struggling. It may very well have something to do with either the cache or the actual on-die memory controller on the 4800's.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am close to getting into some overclocking of my board. I have been waiting to get my video card situation under control first. Now that I have a fixed 7900GTX I am ready to push my Venus and 4800 X2 to the limits. Do you think the PSU I have is going to hurt my chances of a mass overclock? do you see any other issues that might come up? Right now I am running stock cooling, so that will be an area that I will upgrade.

Thanks for your help. I have been following this thread because I need all the help I can get..:-)

Well, looked like that 9-multi wasn't all that...

But it looks like my CPU is settling in...? Got it prime last night at 270*10, 9:10 divider... 1,5 + 102,4%.

Tried 277*10 (to get that even 250 on the memory using 9:10) using 1,5 + 104,8%. Pi was done properly, but Orthos broke down within a minute...

I'll keep trying though!

i have overclocked my amd x2 4800 from stock to 2.6 ghz without touching the cpu volts yet and have ran a prime 95 stress test for 2 hours with no problems.

I just want some advice on when to change the volts on my cpu.

so far my temp has only gone up from 36c to 37 or 38c idle

and from 40c load to 43c load.

this is my first time overclocking so i wanted to know if it sounds like i can keep going toward my goal of 2.7 or should i stop because i know it is stable.

40 is normal

Your temps are fine. To get past the 2.7ghz barrier you may have to start bumping the voltage. I'm running mine at 2.75ghz and it takes 1.55 vcore to get there. Where you stop is entirely up to you. Just keep an eye on temps and stability. When you run Prime95 you should run it for eight hours or more. You might find a failure due to voltages or temps well into the 5th or 6th hour of the test.

Those are impressive clocks, and really impressive temps!! Could be a GGG in the making?

Looking forward on seeing more!! You use WC? CPU temp-offset?

Not really a fan of .5-multipliers though...

Greetz!

no, just amd hsf