2GB or 4GB?

thedougster

What is your opinion on having 4GB of RAM as opposed to having just 2GB?

I only ask as I have the chance at another 2GB of G.Skill RAM the same as I already have.

Is it worth getting?

The benefits of 4GB in non-workstation circumstances are practically non-existent - 2GB is easily enough for the desktop. Plus, 4GB will generally wreck an overclock simply because the controller struggles to drive all the RAM :(

Yes..it is worth although you will have to run it in 2T.

I am not sure but there was some issue mentioned by AG about having 4 sticks with particular types of cpu's i think..i really cannot remember what it is..

although you will have to run 2T(most probably), it is definitely worth it i think..

EDIT: Yes..you will have to run win-64.. forgot about that.. Or if you have any idea going to Vista(which you probably will), you will definitely need that extra 2GB..

2GB will be sufficient for any gaming machine at the moment. 4GB will, as some people have stated cause problems, and a possible drop in performance.

Additionally your computer performance will likely be limited by other factors, before you are limited by your RAM. So you may as well just use 2GB, and invest that money into a better CPU or a graphics card in the future.

i popped in an additional 2 gigs of the same g.skill ram in my sig, for a total of 4 gigs...ran stock settings, and did a bit of photoshop, bf2 etc...i didnt notice any real world difference.

the bios saw 3.5 gigs of ram, windows saw 3 gigs, and photoshop saw 2 gigs.

...so to answer your question....your money could be put to better use on some other component.

windows will not see 4G..i think...

He has said he has a *chance* of getting another 2G.. so why not get it.. 2G will not be enough when we move to vista.. so if he has the chance, better get it I'd say..

Yes..it is worth although you will have to run it in 2T.

I am not sure but there was some issue mentioned by AG about having 4 sticks with particular types of cpu's i think..i really cannot remember what it is..

although you will have to run 2T(most probably), it is definitely worth it i think..

EDIT: Yes..you will have to run win-64.. forgot about that.. Or if you have any idea going to Vista(which you probably will), you will definitely need that extra 2GB..

basically if you buy 2 sticks now then 2 more later on it could be a different revision, I think it has to do with CAS and Timing, NOT SURE but I think thats what he said about them.

windows will not see 4G..i think...

He has said he has a *chance* of getting another 2G.. so why not get it.. 2G will not be enough when we move to vista.. so if he has the chance, better get it I'd say..

But Vista isn't going to be out until January next year, in which case the current RAM he is thinking of will be cheaper, and in all likelyhood he may want to get some better RAM at that time. Not to mention he may have decided by that point to upgrade his whole machine.

In the mean time, 4GB of RAM may cause problems, and will have NO benifits for gaming machines.

Also the final specs for Vista havn't been released yet, and so despite all these people saying Vista will need 4 Gb of RAM, we don't know. I have no intention whatsoever of buying anything else for my computer until Vista is released. Remember right now there are beta's and CTP's being released, and people with computers right now are able to run Vista fine, and they are only using 2GB, or less !!!

There is no point is guessing what Vista will require, as they microsoft can't bring it out and demand people have to have 4GB of RAM, most people havn't even upgraded to 2GB yet. So my suggestion would be leave it, and wait until you know what you will need. But the choice is yours.