Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

but Conroe and Xfire is showin somethin else.

Angry's thread about intel chipsets and Xfire took me by surprise but after a couple of hours reading over there and googling i found some insane info and it suggests that the intel platform could make a serious comeback for gaming computers, could be just in time then if DFI are to produce there new LP intel board soon (ish).

and keep in mind...Intel is already pretty pissed at their market share loss, and the stigma with gamers and hardcore guys like us that their rigs are crap

don't even count out Intel...and like I said in previous post...Crossfire on an Intel system already shows benefits...wait until FX-60 killer Conroe cpu's hit ;)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

angry_games is right ati chipsets are not mature, but with a person like me who loves ati, and the technology they put in their cards these days is undeniable. i thought about going sli but i know that x1900 series is very strong, i have ran 3dmark06 4xaa and 16x litering and i still got a score of 6445, and that was at the resolution of 1920X1210 i might not be right about the exact resolution, all i know is i ran it at the highest resolution on my dell 24 inch monitor.

i honestly do love the nforce4 chips but i love ati and their cards. i believe it will mature over time, so just gotta be patient and.

my scores are as below

3dmark06 10021 i only got this once and than i could never hit it again even though the settings were the same. now i get around 9936

3dmark06 4xaa 16x ani filtering. 6445 res. 1920x1210

3dmark05 close to 16K.

3dmark03 32624

3dmark01 37701

my processor is clocked at 2.95 fx60, cant get it higher can run at 3.0 but not a whole lot stablity there, even though its water cooled, my ht speed is what i love, running at 11X268, ht multiplier at 5, ht running at 1340.

Thats great RGONE.

On 01', I'd be #12... 35154... with my 2.75Ghz 165, and single X1900XT

Wish someone would crack the CFire driver to allow use on SLI boards :nod:

I know what you mean Angry, but I see alot of the issues as software not hardware, so I still look forward to getting a CSX3200, so long as Oskar, etc keep working on solving the problems.

I also firmly believe that it is ATI's software for CFire/drivers that is at fault. There is no reason 2 X1900's can work as smoothly as 2 7900's other than NVidia's SLI driver software is well perfected, and gaining application support, while ATI has slipped back into thier old ways of piss poor software development efforts.... remember tha days before the 9700pro when ATI had the most gawdaweful drivers on earth? I do, they sucked azz, but they overcame their faults once, I hope they will again..... fingers crossed.

I do appreciate your honest opinion, thanks.

so I still look forward to getting a CSX3200, so long as Oskar, etc keep working on solving the problems.

unfortunately AM2 is going to be the focus point...so I wouldn't expect a lot of "Oskar support" on any current gen boards these days...it will be relegated to other engineers to fix minor issues...not create super overclocking etc like he did with the original NF4

i love ATI cards as you guys know...I always have preferred them over Nvidia...but until ATI does something about this mess (chipset and gpu's) I'm afraid my money still goes to Nvidia

this doesn't mean everyone should listen to me...but the other point to think about is that without us having Crossfire...you can't really expect us to be able to provide you any help other than giving you the email to DFI Taiwan (and as I have mentioned...you already know the types of answers you get there)

USB keyboard support works, but mouse support does not. If you enable keyboard and disable Mouse in the bios the keyboard will work.

As soon as you enable mouse - the keyboard and mouse stop working.

This has been an issue since day one.

I AM NOW STARTING TO GET UPSET AGAIN

• USB Mouse and keyboard support - Enable USB mouse in bios and mouse and keyboard stop working.
  • Any drive on the Silicon Image SATA slots causes a crash and stops ULI sata slots from working. Basically you can not use more than 4 sata slots.

Can DFI please get these issues fixed.

Wish list:

Can the boot screen display the CPU speed... when overclocking its very hard to know what speed you have booted at.

Hi again simonmaltby,

Thank you for the tip on usb keyboard. I am happy to report that the one odety i disliked about the board is now in the past, my usb keyboard now works at post and allows me to go into the bios. Now if I can only get the ULI Raid to like windows XP media center 2005 sp2. Again a million thanks, although its a small pet peeve it makes all the difference to me.

If you are having trouble with UCCC try the following:

Refresh cycle time: 12 or 11

Row refresh cycle time: 14-17

Read to write delay time: 4 or 3

Refresh rate: 3072( that is 200 @ 3.9)

Read write queque bypass: 16x

Bypass max: 7x

Max async latency: 8ns or 7ns

Read preamble: 5.5ns

Idle cycle limit: 256*

Dynamic idle cycle counter: disable*

*If I have anything in "idle cycle limit" under 256 my system is unstable with my G. Skill, and if I enable "dynamic idle cycle counter", same thing.

The more I play with this mobo the more I love it. I got this CPU to 2.8 for the first time since I have owned it. Now to test for stability.

Oh BTW the thing Rgone said about flashing the 417 BIOS thrice is gospel. It works. If you missed it:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51631

Thanks a lot Backlash, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure optimum timings with this board. I haven't used them yet, but I appreciate the post.

Also, is anyone else having trouble OCing their Opty 170's at either 9x CPU frequency, or the 180 mem divider?? I'm at 2.6 rock stable on this board right now with default voltage. I've been assuming that since it's just OC'd at stock voltage I could push it much further, but no matter what voltage, multiplier, blah blah blah I try out, I hit instability... I'm gonna try out the suggest RAM timings that backlash posted, but does anyone else know what might be up?

Crossfire performance is often as good or better than SLi.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_h...mance/page9.asp

Check the 1600x performance numbers in the above link. X1800s in Crossfire are beating brand new 7900 GTXs at that resolution. Often time nVidia performance seems better in pure speed benches do to aggressive optimizations that also cause shimmering in some titles.

I don't know too many folks that drop 1k on video cards to play below 1600x without AA|AF. So those will be the important performance numbers. Not 3dmark05 at 1024x with no AA|AF.

ATi does best at 1600x and up with AA|AF in D3D. That's generally true with single cards as well. nVidia has solid linux support and is faster in OGL games, however ATi puts up perfectly playable rate in those games too.

I think ATi need to get out the SB 600 to mate with their NB, and then things will look better for them on the chipset front.

Thank you Angry for your frank opinion on crossfire tech.at this moment in time.I also want to thank everyone else for their input.This board is without a doubt the best I have come across!Angry,you have helped me more with that one post than the last 3 weeks of searching the internet reviews and posts.

I think,based on what games I play, and with what you said about Conroe looking interesting,I am going to save a little money now keeping the x1900xtx,getting a DFI non SLI board, and just chill till the next big dual card tech.gets all ironed out!

I am sure I will be happy with the FPS on a single 1900 {from my old AGP X850xt anyway}untill then.

BTW being a DFI noob,will I be ok with my current ram? 2-gigs of Corsair XMS-TWINX-3200LL. 4x512

Thank you Angry for your frank opinion on crossfire tech.at this moment in time.I also want to thank everyone else for their input.This board is without a doubt the best I have come across!Angry,you have helped me more with that one post than the last 3 weeks of searching the internet reviews and posts.

I think,based on what games I play, and with what you said about Conroe looking interesting,I am going to save a little money now keeping the x1900xtx,getting a DFI non SLI board, and just chill till the next big dual card tech.gets all ironed out!

I am sure I will be happy with the FPS on a single 1900 {from my old AGP X850xt anyway}untill then.

BTW being a DFI noob,will I be ok with my current ram? 2-gigs of Corsair XMS-TWINX-3200LL. 4x512

you should read the rules and make a sig... ;)

even if you don't have a DFI board...we need to know what else you have

USB keyboard support works, but mouse support does not. If you enable keyboard and disable Mouse in the bios the keyboard will work.

As soon as you enable mouse - the keyboard and mouse stop working.

This has been an issue since day one.

I AM NOW STARTING TO GET UPSET AGAIN

• USB Mouse and keyboard support - Enable USB mouse in bios and mouse and keyboard stop working.
  • Any drive on the Silicon Image SATA slots causes a crash and stops ULI sata slots from working. Basically you can not use more than 4 sata slots.

Can DFI please get these issues fixed.

Thanks from me too about this tip. I can finally put my old keyboard away! :)

Crossfire performance is often as good or better than SLi.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_h...mance/page9.asp

Check the 1600x performance numbers in the above link. X1800s in Crossfire are beating brand new 7900 GTXs at that resolution. Often time nVidia performance seems better in pure speed benches do to aggressive optimizations that also cause shimmering in some titles.

I don't know too many folks that drop 1k on video cards to play below 1600x without AA|AF. So those will be the important performance numbers. Not 3dmark05 at 1024x with no AA|AF.

ATi does best at 1600x and up with AA|AF in D3D. That's generally true with single cards as well. nVidia has solid linux support and is faster in OGL games, however ATi puts up perfectly playable rate in those games too.

I think ATi need to get out the SB 600 to mate with their NB, and then things will look better for them on the chipset front.

its a matter of who does the benchmarking as everyone knows just like cooling, memory speeds, etc, benchmarks of any kind can be skewed to look like one favors the other.

I'm not buying into the Crossfire hype yet, and if you remember, I never bought into SLI hype until about 16 months after it was out...because it took a long time for games to finally take advantage of it + drivers to work properly.

If I am gonna drop $1k into vid cards now, I am surely going to drop it into a couple of 7900 SLI's and get my money's worth as there's no way I would even think of dropping it into $1k of ATI Crossfire stuff that frankly...doesn't impress me and the bugs are still a huge issue...there's simply nothing that impressive about Crossfire at this time (whether it be chipset or gpu).

I do however, agree with those that state the X1900XT is the top card on the market (but I have no 7900GTX to verify that myself).

money spent wisely is more important than reading some benchmark score from a review site or two and thinking that these review sites have my best interest in mind (and that they tested as thoroughly in gaming as I will myself).