Is almost imposs to figure out which PSU !

gahhhhhh this thread is not helping me choose a PSU at all, haha.

seems like no brand/model is error-free. i really really want to get a seasonic 500W (or even 600W)... out of all the PSU's i've read reviews for, those have the best. unfortunately, there is a giant thread with DFI issues + seasonic.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sorry dude, I have been promoting the Epsilons, but now it looks like they might have similar issues to the rest...although as I mentioned, this was the first one I have seen and the cold-boot issues ARE pretty rare in general I think.

My advice...go with the PSU that seems to have the fewest issues, and make sure you get the longest RMA period possible and it one PSU doesn't work RMA for a different one, and if that doesn't work RMA the board and try a different board. Kinda sucks, I know.

ok, I have an update on my psu situation.. I don't know why I didnt try this before but, I have a FSP AX500-A, 2.0. I hooked it up to my board and tried the power button thing again and this time no power problem.. I then tried the FX600-GLN on my DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR and not power issues whats or ever.... DAMN!!! I gues I have to rma the board.....

Oh Damn, I guess I can't rma the board since I changed the chipset cooler for the evercool. I guess I will live with the issues untill I get some cash to buy a new one...

Steel Dragon what revision is your motherboard? Wouldn't happen to be AA0 would it? How long ago did you purchase it?

Im not sure of the revision, I will have to get back to you on that one. I purchased it march 3 2006 from ZZF.

I just checked cpuz and I see revision A3 under the motherboard tab.

I'm fed up with these lockups and reboots in oblivion so I just went ahead and purchased a Fortron 700W epsilon PSU. I will let you know how it turns out once I get it. If I also experience these cold boot issues then there is no chance the issue only effects 6% of the people out there as the mods claim. I am keeping my fingers crossed I won't have to RMA this motherboard.

Good luck to you Hanzo, I definitely have to get a new one... I was going to rma mine but I changed the chipset cooler and I put the one that came with the board on my brothers board since his chipset cooler bit the dust.. I will have to live with it for now untill I get some cash...

Simple choice Powerstreem 520 or one of the FSP Fortron or Sparkle. Both unlike most makers measure the out put at real workd temp and have proven to perform well.

The numbers on the box dont mean a lot you can get the numbers to say whatever you want.

The PS 520 actualy does the job period and end of story if you had higher needs than on of the epsilon will do the job nicely too though no singal card system is going to need more for quite some time.

why not swap chip set coolers for you to RMA the board then switch back again? It can save you some cash.

I don't have the origional chipset cooler anymore. I put it on my brothers board...

Simple choice Powerstreem 520 or one of the FSP Fortron or Sparkle

I am having the cold boot problem with my FX600-GLN. But it works on my brothers LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

I got the Epsilon 700 a few months ago.... very nice. No cold boot, no crashes. Still can't get my mem to run at 300 FSB 1:1, but that has nothing to do with the PSU. The only things I'd change on the Epsilon 700 would be to have a lighted fan in it, a more thorough job on the cable sleeving, and I wish they'd put the spec sticker on the other damn side of the unit. If you have a window, you will have to flip the PSU over, which brings the cables closer to the window, or deal with the sticker.

Very minor complaints, though. Overall, this PSU is great.

I received my epsilon 700W today and have not experienced the cold boot issue. The only thing that troubles me slightly is the 5+ readings and memory vdimm readings are lower with this psu than with the antec 550W Truepower 2 I had previously.

I guess I judged DFI too quickly