Is almost imposs to figure out which PSU !

So much info on this forum and stickys im lost, iv got it down to these 3 to choose from:

Seasonic S12 600W Silent ATX2.0

FSP Sparkle FX700-GLN 700W ATX 2.0

Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT ATX2.2

WHICH ONE? On paper the Enermax Liberty looks best, its modular, atx2.2, highest amps on the 12v rail (im only going to be running 1 graphics card, an o/c x1900XTX)

BUT i hear its not good for my expert board. Im interested to find out, if im running 1 graphics card on 1 (of 4) 12v (15amps each)rails on the 700w sparkle will it 'transfer' the load to the other rails? therefore making ~60amps available to the graphics card? Id be interested to find out.

I ask as im going to be MASSIVELY overclocking the x1900xtx so will need almost endless/stable power, the rest of the system is in sig apart from now there is 2 additional raptor drives and I intend to get my A64 to 3ghz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the 3 I'd choose the Seasonic, they're relatively new in terms of being on the marketplace as a company, but their 600w model has taken a great deal of plaudits recently.

With regards to modular psu's, they're only useful if you normally end up with a bundle of unused wires, if you're installing loads of everything you'll prolly have very few unused cables.

I've noticed a lot of overclockers here use OCZ psu's, don't want to complicate matters more than they are. Why not browse a few sigs of members with a similar setup?

ocz is to low a wattage for me.......... yes seen the 1000watt one, is -a little- out of price range, £120 tops! :nod:

600W PowerStream is a great deal of power.. ;)

FSP EPSILON is your best bet for that money, even if you consider a SLI system..

Me, personally, i'd go for Enermax Liberty 620W, it does have modular rails afterall, the design of internal components is definitely quality, voltage rails are very stable (same aplies for EPSILON)..

From what I have read the OCZ 600W and Seasonic aren't compatible with the Expert. You need a PSU that doesn't get tricked by the extra 5V ampage that the DFI motherboard consumes on startup (Read that: A cheaper PSU that doesn't have it built in to check and see)

I think the Fortron is the only >600W one I have seen where people aren't having issues.

I am in the same market and have had a difficult time trying to find any sound advice.

From what I have read the OCZ 600W and Seasonic aren't compatible with the Expert. You need a PSU that doesn't get tricked by the extra 5V ampage that the DFI motherboard consumes on startup (Read that: A cheaper PSU that doesn't have it built in to check and see)

I think the Fortron is the only >600W one I have seen where people aren't having issues.

I am in the same market and have had a difficult time trying to find any sound advice.

No problems here on a 600W PowerStream + EXPERT whatsoever ;)

FSP Sparkle FX700-GLN 700W ATX 2.0 is a freeken awesome power supply with no issues I have heard of with any Expert Board and has zero problems with my own Experts. At about $20.00 usd in price difference between the 600watter and the 700watter; the 700watter is the way to go.

The 700 watters have already passed 18amp testing on each rail and the OverCurrentProtection is set at 22amps and not the 20amps of most. Setting OCP at the same as the actual current draw has been the norm up until that 700watter there by FSP-Group.

Ocz is soon to release a very similar rated supply to those two new 600/700 watt supplies by FSP and they work as well since I have pre-production test versions of them as well. Old tech is just no longer going to get it when moving to the x1900xt's and likely the 7900GT/X as well. These cards can kill the two rail power supplies. And here I am talking about having a better than 85% chance that "x" will work since that is what is being dealt with mostly not the exception to the general rule.

RGone...

FSP Sparkle FX700-GLN 700W ATX 2.0 is a freeken awesome power supply with no issues I have heard of with any Expert Board and has zero problems with my own Experts. At about $20.00 usd in price the 700watter is the way to go.

RGone...

Where do I get this 20.00 700w PSU? :drool: I assume this was a typo. :)

Many with the Expert/Liberty combos have no problems at all and yet others (like me) did have issues. It's a bit of a crap shoot. I also think the Seasonic had some issues with this board, but I could be wrong as I am just going from memory on that one.

It seems like the FSP/Sparkle units have not had any issues with this board to date (at least not any I have seen on the forums). Regarding the rails:

a) you can't just add them up to 60a...doesn't work that way, more like 50a TOTAL combined for the 700W (just like the Liberty's combined 12V is 36a & not 44a)

B) the rails on the Epsilon units are being reclassified at 18a max load/individual rail (22a overcurrent).

c) don't forget that your card will still be drawing power from your MoBo via PCIe slot (I think about 5.5a).

d) not sure of the rail assignment on the Liberty but I think 12v1 powers both PCIe plus everything else while 12v2 powers the cpu (might be wrong on that). Whereas on the FSP 12v4 is dedicated to your PCIe card.

e) loads will transfer between rails but only up to the max for an individual rail. For example with the Liberty the combined 12v rails = 36a so if 12v1=18a 12v2= up to18a or if 12v1=16a then 12v2= up to 20a, but if 12v1= only 12a 12v2 will still max out at 22a

Ocz is soon to release a very similar rated supply to those two new 600/700 watt supplies by FSP and they work as well since I have pre-production test versions of them as well.

RGone...

I read somewhere that OCZ is actually using the FSP units in that build so yeah they should be very similar ;) ...backed up with OCZ's awesome customer service...those will be hard units to beat I think.

FSP Sparkle FX700-GLN 700W ATX 2.0 is a freeken awesome power supply with no issues I have heard of with any Expert Board and has zero problems with my own Experts. At about $20.00 usd in price the 700watter is the way to go.

The 700 watters have already passed 18amp testing on each rail and the OverCurrentProtection is set at 22amps and not the 20amps of most. Setting OCP at the same as the actual current draw has been the norm up until that 700watter there by FSP-Group.

Ocz is soon to release a very similar rated supply to those two new 600/700 watt supplies by FSP and they work as well since I have pre-production test versions of them as well. Old tech is just no longer going to get it when moving to the x1900xt's and likely the 7900GT/X as well. These cards can kill the two rail power supplies. And here I am talking about having a better than 85% chance that "x" will work since that is what is being dealt with mostly not the exception to the general rule.

RGone...

My psu should be here by tomorrow. It will be replacing my current one. I think I made the right choice