Opty 170 opinions

What does everyone here think of the Opteron 170. It seems like its a good deal at 398.00$ It also seems to be a good overclocker. What are good steppings?

Thank You

--EJM

Price is at Newegg. Ive read that Opty's require registered memory. Whats up with that??

Thank You for your opinions.

I thinking about buying one. I really do like my x2-4800 though.

--EJM

Price is at Newegg. Ive read that Opty's require registered memory. Whats up with that??

I thinking about buying one. I really do like my x2-4800 though.

--EJM

If i were you i would keep my 4800, you payed a pretty penny for that. Keep it and upgrade something else in your system.

lol, i didn't notice the cpu in your sig before...

If you already have a 4800x2 @ 2.8 there is not one reason in the world to replace it with an opty.

If your building another rig, well, thats another story....

I just wanted to jump on the opty bandwagon. My x2 is pretty nice. I dont really game much so Im waiting for the 7800 vidcards to come down in price.....I see the 7900 is out now. I guess Im just bored.

Later

--EJM

I bought one from newegg two weeks ago and I am having trouble with stability above 2.7, but then again this is my first time with serious overclocking so it may not be the chip. With some more tweaking I think I will be able to hit my goal of 2.8. I might recommend a 165 with good stepping and spending the extra $100 on some very nice ram.

you could probably sell that 4800+ X2 on ebay for close to what you paid for it, invest part of profits into a Opty 165 CCB1E 0550VPMW, or 170 of similiar stepping, and still have $$ left over to go towards a 7900GT purchase, i wouldn't waste my time with a 7800GT, go for the 7900GT and voltmod to GTX