Want to move to 939

LiAM754

Hello Everyone, soon im hoping to take the leap to move onto 933 from 754 and i still want to use AGP so my only choice is to use the nf3 Ultra-D board, i want to know if it is still a good board and some people told me that there isnt much point in moving to 939 because it isnt much more faster and i still could get a 3700+ athlon 64 for my 754 but i reckon there becomming rare as i cant find any anywhere, what do you all think? help would be appriciated, thanks - Liam

I wouldn't move into 939 unless you are going PCI-E as well. For the money you spend and possible headaches involved with 939 AGP boards you wouldn't be happy with the performance gains.

I wouldn't move into 939 unless you are going PCI-E as well. For the money you spend and possible headaches involved with 939 AGP boards you wouldn't be happy with the performance gains.

so it might be best if i stay on 754 for now and just upgrade my CPU on my 754 board?

What is it your computer doesn't do fast enough for you?

I was noticing that in your sig you have it at 2.0ghz. Why not just OC? You have definately got the board for it. I'd just hate to see you spend more money on this rig and not get a whole lot for it. I feel it would be better to save the money look for good deals on NF4 stuff as you can afford it and slowly put together a system. When AM2 stuff hit's the streets there will be plenty of 939 stuff at cheap prices.

What is it your computer doesn't do fast enough for you?

I was noticing that in your sig you have it at 2.0ghz. Why not just OC? You have definately got the board for it. I'd just hate to see you spend more money on this rig and not get a whole lot for it. I feel it would be better to save the money look for good deals on NF4 stuff as you can afford it and slowly put together a system. When AM2 stuff hit's the streets there will be plenty of 939 stuff at cheap prices.

Great advice!

i'd agree with CPDMF, i only came to 939 last august after my MSI 754 board died.

I had a 3200 which i ran 270x9.

I had intended 2 hang on till am2 & had earmarked a small upgrade to a neo4 754 mobo like the NF4X INFINITY Thought i'd get a pci-e gfx card as well. This would get rid of the unlocked sata 1/2 which was a bit of a bugbear on the neo3 plus the only "wasted bit " on moving to AM2 eventually is the mobo.

luck :)

I agree wait. I upgraded from a 458 to a 939 simplly for the AMD 64 and especialy for pci-e they are the 2 things that put you into new technologyno reason to stay with AGP in a year it will be out dated except for micros and cheap work stations business ect. with

Vista and DX10 comeing out you'll almost need pci-e with the new games already being seen with the new HDT lighting

I would swap in a newer video card, and leave the rest as is.

There are some very cool agp cards available for reasonable prices, like the agp 6800GS with unlockable pipelines, some of the ATI cards have fantastic hacks as well... overclock, hack, tweak, and save until AM2 is worthwhile. :)

Yeah after thinking about it now i might just stay on 754, and wait for AM2 or what ever it is i don't know about it much but to me it sounds good, i might still consider of upgrading my processor though from a 3000+ to a 3400+ if i can find one somewhere, im not keen on overclocking yet because of the temps of my processor if i overclock it, it may go sky high.

... im not keen on overclocking yet because of the temps of my processor if i overclock it, it may go sky high.

You don't know 'til you try! Just take it slow. You'll save yourself some money toward upgrading when AM2 and the newer technology becomes available. I don't think you'll see any difference in real world terms between a mildly OC'ed 3000+ and a 3400+