7800GT SLI with Enermax 485W

I know this PS is not in de list of recommended SLI PSU's, but still i wonder if it would be able to handle two 7800GT's. Does anybody have any idea?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a recommended PSU, but - as you probably ment - not for SLI. If you already have it and is determined to have a SLI setup, you could try. If you're lucky it works, but you could get into stability problems, especially with a overclocked system. These systems are becoming really power-hungry.

i read somewere that u need at least 700 watts to get sli to run w/o any problems.

sad for me bebause i had just brought my psu then read that artical a few days later.

Just a short question....

How many amps do you need on the 12Volt rails for a non SLI-Setup? What is the minimum setup?

Greets

Usually you get a PSU nowadays with two – sometimes four – 12V rails. If two and you’re not planning to have a SLI setup, I would say that 15amp on each 12V rail (of course it has to be a quality PSU with good efficiency, otherwise the specification might be bogus) is a good minimum requirement.

700W is way too much. According to this review, 2x7800GT would need about 22A @ 12V. According to this information from SLIzone, my rig would need between 26A and 30A @ 12V. My Noisetaker can give 32A @ 12V. I guess it would just fit.

i read somewere that u need at least 700 watts to get sli to run w/o any problems.

sad for me bebause i had just brought my psu then read that artical a few days later.

It would be interesting to see that article. However I would say it’s not true. If you choose a quality PSU which specification is true (many provide specifications which are more of wishful thinking and has nothing to do with reality), with high efficiency whether we’re talking about low, medium or full load, you will be fine with less (see the recommendation list). Many poor PSU might need very high “specifications” to be able to cope, but they’re still dangerous, since we might be talking about some real power fluctuation.

Choose a quality PSU, don’t just look at 9999999W specification.

Nvidia has lower the requirement for highend SLI to +12V@30A:

(link appears in Recommended! - NF4 Ultra/SLI Mobos:PowerSupplies

2x7800GT would need about 22A @ 12V
would rank as mid range at least it's GeForce 7600 GT cards that would rank as Low & 7900 as high.

What i find amusing is that the difference in $ between a decent 22A & a decent 30A unit is not that great. If buying a new psu, doesn't it make sense to give yourself a comfort zone, rather than buy a low specced unit then risk paying out again for that more powerful unit that u were to tight to buy 1st. It's a BIT LIKE buying a hd for a little more you get 1.5x the capacity.

I'm just telling you what the recommendations are! That’s it! I have seen people like you get offended by any statement and at the end they bought a new PSU. LOL. It’s just an advice and a DFI recommendation! :shake: