Windows x64

xX_RAPTOR_Xx

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can download the beta from Microsoft for nothing just to try it. I loaded it up on a spare drive and played with it for about 30 days before I decided that there really isn't any advantage to having it until there are more 64 bit programs out there.

It depends on what software and hardware you're carrying over. The only problem I had was 64bit drivers for a Nostromo N-52, none available and maybe none coming. Printer, digital camera, camcorder and games all run fine. I had PC Security Shield Antivirus, I lost that, but picked up Avast for free, and it's better. I have found through personal experience and reading reviews it doesn't clock as well. At least it didn't for me and I haven't heard anyone dispute it. Bottom line, I like it and am not willing to go back to XP, as it feels more solid, and for lack of a better word, snappy. After all that, I wouldn't look to buy x64 now as they seem to be blowing off driver support in anticipation of Vista. Vista isn't that far off, I'd stick with XP til then.

You can download the beta from Microsoft for nothing just to try it. I loaded it up on a spare drive and played with it for about 30 days before I decided that there really isn't any advantage to having it until there are more 64 bit programs out there.

Just a correction: it is not a beta, it's an evaluation version....

I am running Windows x64 and I am satisfied with it, a lack of drivers for some devices (scanner, webcam) but currently I don't care about them, as I follow the rule that if I got a Ferrari why to drive it at 50 mph?

if my system support 64-bit why to use it at 32 only...

Hi

did you have problems with the system not booting up properly after installing X64 ? I have Windows XP and wanted to install XP X64 to dual boot. I installed it on another partition, went through the initial install after the second reboot (after detecting network/hardware etc) it starts to load, seems to get as far as the ACPI (in safe mode) then reboots. I tried disabling ACPI in BIOS but then it reports ACPI is not enabled.

I`m using the 14/11/2005 BIOS. Any suggestions as to what I need to tweak to get it to boot the X64 OS ?

There is no 64bit vista in sight at the moment. Windows Vista editions are finalised. & Six versionis of Microsoft Visa!?
All of the Microsoft pre-releases of Vista have come out in two flavors; 32-bit and 64-bit. So a 64-bit version is "in sight." I know the marketing page for the product lineup doesn't explicitly break it out between 32-bit and 64-bit versions. It's possible when the retail version comes out you will get a choice during setup.

Dual boot here no problems. Install 32 bit version first, and then 64 bit afterwards. Obviously a good idea to back everything up first.

64 bit is alot more snappy than the 32 bit version. It multi tasks alot better, so flipping between apps is a breeze. Personally I keep 32 bit for games and things like mobile phone, digital camera, scanner etc.

64 bit I use for 3d/2d stuff. All good.

RLM