Windows x64

xX_RAPTOR_Xx

Getting windows x64 is useless. I dual booted it and it's just problems because not all 32-bit apps are compatible with x64.

First time I tried, 6-8 months ago when it first come out, to use it I had all kinds of problems, naturally, but now to tell you the truth the WOWemulator(32-bit) has grown in leaps and bounds.

I cannot find anything wrong with it as of now.

My printer, which i havent tried quite yet, probably wont work with it but its like 5-6 years old so I sorta figure that.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can download the beta from Microsoft for nothing just to try it. I loaded it up on a spare drive and played with it for about 30 days before I decided that there really isn't any advantage to having it until there are more 64 bit programs out there.

I had the same results, games and apps didnt "feel" faster.

First time I tried, 6-8 months ago when it first come out, to use it I had all kinds of problems, naturally, but now to tell you the truth the WOWemulator(32-bit) has grown in leaps and bounds.

I cannot find anything wrong with it as of now.

My printer, which i havent tried quite yet, probably wont work with it but its like 5-6 years old so I sorta figure that.

That WowEmulator works but through benchmarks 32-bit apps run slower under x64.

You can download the beta from Microsoft for nothing just to try it. I loaded it up on a spare drive and played with it for about 30 days before I decided that there really isn't any advantage to having it until there are more 64 bit programs out there.

Totally agreed. If you are going to just use your kit for games and recreational, then probably no point to x64. If anything you will find it an inconvenience. installed it myself about 5 months ago, and then un-installed it, because of driver issues and games not working. The solution to that dual OS.

All I'd say iis if multi-tasking is important to you, than X64 is a good choice. I can be rendering, working in Photoshop on textures, or browsing on line, and flipping back and forth between apps with no hassles. In 32 bit, this would bring my machine to a grinding halt. In that way it definately is quicker.

I think basically to those that x64 is useful, are probably already aware of that fact.

RLM

• 4 weeks later...

All you guy's that havent tryed win64bit lateley should give it a try again. Ive been running it a copple month's now and everything works like a charm and Ive found every type of software ive needid so far Security Burning gaming backup even a 64bit version of nostromo N-52 driver's. Sometimes it's hard to find but it's out there I spent 4 hour's finding a backup utility designed for 64bit win and it backed up my C/ drive just fine. It's kind of like when everybody went from 98 to XP,O it was awfull i herd more b****ing and moaning than i care to remember. If you only have one pc dont bother but if you have access to 2 give it a whorle I miss my Norton System works but Symantic antivirus works fine and I loved Ghost but if you try Acronis true image it even look's the same. All the best burning utility's are good to go Nero 6or7 Alcohol 120 virtuall drive work's now all the little ones worked anyway like clone and ultra iso and any dvd -what else do you need I not sure about being abel to OC verry well but ive got a 500mhz on my 3700sandy and it's stabel as a rock and it really didnt do any better in 32bit. Some of the players are alittle funny you have to use power dvd 5 instead of 6, win media 10 is alittle flakey when yo try to play a svcd but it dose everything else ok. I mean all of these systems we are building are disigned to run on 64bit operating system's. Really why are they making all this 64bit stuff? my 2500 mobill works ok and it sure as heck was alot easier to overclock. I have a 500Mhz OC on it to it sit's on the other side of my lcd. But really give it a try be flexable my 64bit box really dose run better than it did when i built it and installed 32bit to get it running.Ill get off ny soapbox now you guys have fun===BA===

short and simple, I run it and I like it. apps don't feel faster and there are lots of bugs/problems, but not really any that have really bothered me. well I take that back, BF2 SDK wouldn't load, and I couldn't find a good printer driver, or antivirus. Bottem line, if you game/OC/LAN I would stick to XP Pro; I say this because all games are going to run no problem along with updates/SDK's/ect..., aslo if you LAN/game a lot it is very nice to have a good antivirus/security program. Really though I like it, I just risk it with the virus protection, and trust me my luck has run out a couple of times. I would say wait untill Vista, then wait a little longer to see what it is all about. I am excited for Vista but I say wait to see what its all about because of Windows ME (if anyone remembers that little POS).

and I couldn't find a good printer driver' date=' or antivirus. Bottem line, if you game/OC/LAN I would stick to XP Pro; I say this because all games are going to run no problem along with updates/SDK's/ect...QUOTE']

I agree. There are no HP printer drivers for X64, and its bad that Zone Labs wont get off their bum and produce a X64 version. McAfee dont either. So I ended up using NOD32 which was highly recommended. Logitech dont produce drivers that support my wireless keyboard or mouse yet too.

My system dual boots so I wont disturb my XP Pro 32 install. X64 is not stable enough for me to migrate but if anything I can try 64 bit stuff. Got Half Life on there but I cant really notice much difference. Got Far Cry too but that wont load. The loading window appears, disappears and nothing.

(btw I managed to install X64 after buying recommended memory)

• 2 weeks later...
It depends on what software and hardware you're carrying over. The only problem I had was 64bit drivers for a Nostromo N-52, none available and maybe none coming. Printer, digital camera, camcorder and games all run fine. I had PC Security Shield Antivirus, I lost that, but picked up Avast for free, and it's better. I have found through personal experience and reading reviews it doesn't clock as well. At least it didn't for me and I haven't heard anyone dispute it. Bottom line, I like it and am not willing to go back to XP, as it feels more solid, and for lack of a better word, snappy. After all that, I wouldn't look to buy x64 now as they seem to be blowing off driver support in anticipation of Vista. Vista isn't that far off, I'd stick with XP til then.

The only 64 bit drivers I was unable to find for x64, were for a Belkin Nostromo N-52 game pad, they are now available at: http://files.filefront.com/nostromo_x64msi...;;fileinfo.html

They must be beta, as they're not listed on Belkin's site. They installed without any problem and are working fine, they are supposed to work for the N-45 and N-50 as well. I know a lot of you old schoolers stick with keyboard and mouse, not for me, this thing is sweet. Much better gameplay and allows me to easily use all the functions. I haven't seen much discussion of this game controller here, but anyone running x64, that's been waiting for drivers, there they are.

The only other issue with x64 are drivers for X-FI on Expert boards. They're installed on my SLI-DR now and working fine. I'm waiting for the return of my Venus, to see if they do well on the Expert. I think all the X-FI/Expert issues have been resolved though. So for me, x64 is all good.