The Best Antivirus/Firewall solution?

inquisitor

AV:

I use Mcafee Corp 8.1. doesnt bog down system, has built in IE hijack protection and spyware protection. Coupled with Mcafee Firewall Corp i am set. Never had any false positives, but i can say mcafee non-corp editions suck big time.

I also use Norton Corp, always did b4 and always will, but i've seen it let through viruses many times and switched to Mcafee Corp.

As for commercial software, i would get Sygate Personal Firewall, use ebay, they are not selling it anymore, got bought out. And AVG or NOD32 is very good. Stay away from commercial Norton, and Mcafee, they blow.

Panda is probably the worst i ever tried, and i rather use fprot for dos than that program. Its just plain terrible and cant do . about viruses.

If you can get your hands on Corp software, go with Mcafee 8.0i and Corp Firewall.

As for hardware solutions, i use a NAT, and Smoothwall. I could hook up a standalon hardware solution but Smoothwall hands down beats the investment. My p2-350 is actually serving a purpose. Gotta love linux.

As for Zonealarm, ahhhh what should i say. It's good i'll admit, but testing on my own lan, i have hacked through it so easily. They really gotta fix their exploits. Beyond that con its a nice package. I personally cant stand to donate resources, so i stay away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SuppA-SnipA

bitdefender 9 security suite, i love it, firewall and antivirus, plug my dlink di 624

This should have been a poll :D

AVG Free

ZAP free or pro

Hardware NAT router or other dedicated gateway PC with good FW like Smoothwall, etc.

Spybot S&D

Ad Aware SE

Xp antispy for locking down XP itself.

XP FW = just barely better than nothing :rolleyes:

A NAT router can be bought for as low as $20 if you shop hard. Zone Alarm won't stop a frontal attack from a hacker who already knows where you are but a NAT FW will. Zone Alarm is very useful for watching the backdoor to prevent spyware and even Microsoft trying to phone home. The NAT keeps the front door locked from direct assaults.

used for 5+ years:

Norton Systemworks/utilities/antivirus (from newest to oldest)

last 3 years:

ad aware se

microsoft antispyware

spybot search and destroy

i currently use systemworks 05/06 (depending on machine) and spybot w/ adaware

virus free and spyware free for 8+years!

personally:

i sell panda/mcafee/norton/spyware doctor/webroot/spysweeper/and another top brand i can't think of right now.

and there all great but my votes go w/ norton and spyware doctor..... why, my stats prove it, u can tell norton to scan at startup, and update manually daily.

spyware doctor worked great on systems that spybot/adaware were not available to install on (lack of internet connection). mcafee i have had some bad experiances virus wise many years ago... and panda..... well if u run aol (not that many do) it won't work, and besides that it was a marketing ploy for my company to make more margin. i believe in what i use. and don't knock anyone for what they use.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a firm believer in Tiny personal firewall. The old version was free... newer versions are pay (google, anyone?). Tiny is as close to a ipChains/tcp wrappers (linux) software that I have come across, and I have tested quite a few. Cannot be beat for customization, and has the best outbound connection limiting options that I have come across. You don't have to be an IT pro to use and configure.... just read the messages that come up very carefully. I have it installed on my mothers PC.

As to antivirus, I will agree with others that the Symantec CE is worlds better than the Norton home version. It is very slick, and if you set the scheduling to have the scans occur off-hours, there is little to no impact. Trend-Micro's OfficeScan product has even less impact that Symantec CE, but it requires a server to be installed somewhere in your network. If you have the ability to host a server, this is the least impact AV that I have come across. Also very inexpensive for a multi-year support contract.

Thomas

Ad-Aware doesn't work well with major spywares, only for weak small spywares. I just tried a-squared (a²) which didn't help at all for my trojan. The Cleaner wasn't that good either since i just had an infected Windows 2000 machine with spywares and a trojan that only Panda Antivirus Titanium 2006 cleans and disinfected. I then had to do a Windows 2000 repair which fixed all the corruption from before. I would recommend Panda Antivirus Titanium 2006 since this is the first time i've seen something this good to be true.

I use the normal NVidia ActiveArmor with... spybot S&D, Adaware SE, Symantec AV, and I've gotten into a-squared recently. A-squared is for trojans/worms/dialers and spyware. Works pretty well and can be found here . I haven't tried the full version, but the free version seems pretty nice.

well...you win some, you lose some :P

EDIT: last time I had a trojan, it was on my laptop. Don't know how it got there, but I just "reimaged" the harddrive and that fixed it. Of course, that's only with my school laptop, directly through the school :angel: