3DMark06 is out

ExtraPickles

3DMark Score 3705 3DMarks

SM2.0 Score 1662

HDR/SM3.0 Score 1659

CPU Score 922 (eeek!)

Eeek! indeed

This is the score of a guy over here in Mexico with a single 7800GTX card but with a X2 4800+ procesor running at 2.86 ghz:

3DMark Score 5195 pts

SM2.0 Score 2091

HDR/SM3.0 Score 2050

CPU Score 2123

To put things into perspective let me show you my score too, with two 6800GT's with high overclock and a 3700+ @ 2.9 ghz:

3DMark Score 5013 pts

SM2.0 Score 2476

HDR/SM3.0 Score 2145

CPU Score 1146 (eeeek! indeed)

I beat his system in every 3d test, but his X2 literally pulled the whole test and beat me because of it. Is a dual core cpu as good as that in 3d games? I wonder, because I haven't heard anything about games taking advantage of dual cores processors yet. I was consiering an Opteron 175, but was going to wait for a more apropiate time... but maybe it could be a good upgrade right now, I have two systems and one has an old 3500+ (Newcastle) 130nm which would benefit from this San Diego.

Good luck

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<.............................I agree with what you said, its funny how every release of 3dMark took a couple of years: 99, 2001, 2003 and then 2005, but this time the new one was released something arond 16 months since the release of 3dMark05 back in late 2004, sounds funny like you said....................>

it's b/c they have both ATI and nVidia sponsoring them this time around, lol

TGM

hmmm, i LOVE HL2 and Far Cry. Doom3 wasn't so exciting. but it sounds like i need to get a hold of FEAR (shakin in me boots, lol). i don't know how my current system would handle that game. fortunately i'm in the middle of a healthy upgrade :)

TGM

Yea that game is a coputer's ego killer. Try the demo out best fight grapics ever. The game runs a little better than the demo though the demo looks better.

Guest Dynamic

CPU: 3000+ @2.5GHz

Memory: DDR500 2225-1T 3.5v

GPU: X800GTO @16pp 550/565

3DMark06

SM2.0: 1143

SM3.0: N/A

CPU: 996

Note: This new one is a killer! I score about a 6550 in the previous version w/2.43Ghz DDR441 2225-1T 3.4v and the GTO MOD/OC which wasn't that bad.

I beat his system in every 3d test, but his X2 literally pulled the whole test and beat me because of it. Is a dual core cpu as good as that in 3d games? I wonder, because I haven't heard anything about games taking advantage of dual cores processors yet. I was consiering an Opteron 175, but was going to wait for a more apropiate time... but maybe it could be a good upgrade right now, I have two systems and one has an old 3500+ (Newcastle) 130nm which would benefit from this San Diego.

Good luck

The reason the X2 pulled the whole test is the reason that the CPU Score now holds sway in 06 where as it didnt in 05. 05's benchmark the CPU tests maxed out pretty early and people were scoring more and more on the Video hence why the score got pretty high.. Now you HAVE to have a good CPU to add more to your score as they have (as you can see) made it a cpu killer and if you have a multithreaded CPU the benchmark WILL use it.. I get around 0-1FPS in both CPU tests (ulp!!)

So the score and why it beat you makes sense.. His CPU is better than yours..

You got yourself an X2 yours will smoke his...

However, to answer your question about multithreaded games... No it doesnt make any difference to the said game. Your CPU tho isnt just tied up on running the game, so any OS underlieing stuff going on in the background is handled by the other core as your OS IS multithreaded. so the game does run smoother but not better if you get my drift.

John Carmak said it was pretty pointless to multithread a game back when Quake III was being developed. It was going to be Multithreaded out of the box, but it came later in a patch and guess what... it made no difference. But mr Carmack said that the more cpu threads you add to a game the more debugging you have to do and the more it can screw up. Mind you that was like 5 years ago now, so his stance may have changed. But an interesting note is that the Doom3 Engine isnt multithreaded at all.

And I think I can sum up the poor realism of Doom3 compared to FEAR..

Doom 3 looks like a GI Joe rendered action flick.. things look like they are made of plastic. where as fear does not.. But Doom3 does proper lighting and shadowing and does it in a better more optimized way than FEAR does. if you turn on the realistic shaows in FEAR it brings your system to its kneees. Also I might add that the Chronicles of Riddick ALSO did real shadows and lighting and that also did a better job than FEAR did on the same system. So my statment still stands.. FEAR is poorly coded.. does this make it a bad game???

Hell no.... its one of the best games of last year and is truly creepy...

But its it the best coded game of last year? highly optimized and tweaked till then engine ran fine... No not by a long shot, and the developers would be shot if they pulled the same stunt on the Xbox, PS2, X360 whatever. The PC doesnt have the stringent rules that a console has for game development. This is good and also bad for the PC. Good because things like blood and violent content is pretty much easy to get away with (try writing a game for Nintendo that Mario uses finishing moves to dispose of his opponents a-la Mortal Kombat) but also the devs can get away with writing poor unoptimized code and say "its your system. you have to upgrade" becasue they are too lazy to get it right.

Carmak from day one said Doom3 would not run right on the Ti, and low end FX range of cards, but you'd be suprised just how well it does run on those cards considering. This is because he is a very good programmer and he is good at what he does. He doesnt design games however which is why Doom3 sucked as a game. If you want to see his engine at its full glory, check out PREY later this quarter. If you cant wait, download the E3 Movies from last year..

hmmm, i LOVE HL2 and Far Cry. Doom3 wasn't so exciting. but it sounds like i need to get a hold of FEAR (shakin in me boots, lol). i don't know how my current system would handle that game. fortunately i'm in the middle of a healthy upgrade :)

TGM

If you love HL2, Farcy then you will love FEAR. It will creep you out tho, esp if you play in a dark room with 5.1 sound cranked up.. You will do more than shake in yer boots.. you will jump right out of them..

What are you upgrading?? perhaps we can help you get the system you need to run FEAR, because like I said in my above post its not really system friendly ..

All hail Cythrawl system the standard by which all games programming must be judged. Sorry had to get that out.

Feer wasnt so much pooply programed it just expected your computer to do a lot it does many many many more calculations per frame than Doom III it just isnt fair to compair. Fear really beniffited from proper tweaking of the video settings and overclocking everything including the CPU.

Fear actualy playd pretty well and looked great at 1600 bt 1200 no AA or AF if you have a LCD though and you are stuck to one res it did not look healthy without AA.

Feer wasnt so much pooply programed it just expected your computer to do a lot it does many many many more calculations per frame than Doom III it just isnt fair to compair. Fear really beniffited from proper tweaking of the video settings and overclocking everything including the CPU.

Fear actualy playd pretty well and looked great at 1600 bt 1200 no AA or AF if you have a LCD though and you are stuck to one res it did not look healthy without AA.

Something about Fear never looked right to me at any resolution, but only when you're just running around. The fight scenes are pretty amazing, and I really appreciate the 'warnings' that are given before anything truly creepy. At least we have a chance at not wetting ourselves as opposed to Dooms random monster tearing through a wall behind you.

Something about Fear never looked right to me at any resolution, but only when you're just running around. The fight scenes are pretty amazing, and I really appreciate the 'warnings' that are given before anything truly creepy. At least we have a chance at not wetting ourselves as opposed to Dooms random monster tearing through a wall behind you.

Well it really wasnt a game to sit around in and solve puzzles. I think the actual high level of realism instead of cartoonish looks that we are so often used to accepting. Either way is is a ball when the guns start firing and the action does start.

All hail Cythrawl system the standard by which all games programming must be judged. Sorry had to get that out.

Erm I have worked in the games industry back in the UK, so I think I know what I am talking about.

FEAR is poorly optimized, end of story..

They have relied on the hardware to do thier work rather than the programmer's skills in getting it to run reasonably on most hardware.

I knew most of Bullfrog before EA ate them and destroyed them.. Bullfrog in fact before the EA Buyout was going to publish our game back in the Amiga days... I met Raven software when they were over in the UK showing off Dark Crypt on the Amiga... One of the artist for Dungeon Keeper was on our Quake 2 Clan in the UK.. Hitman DZ.. He also made our team skin and the Horned reaper skin for Quake III

But EA Bought them out... and Grandslam Entertainment was going to publish our game and instead of paying us they expected us to do it for free. so we all walked out and that was that. I never worked in the games industry again as it left a foul taste in my mouth...

So go ahead... gloat and think that I know nothing... because quite frankly you dont..