Cable Versus Phone Line

TOMVOO

I've seen a dsl that goes at 2mb/s, no less but if you use the full bndwith the phone does not work anymore.... still 2mb/s is crapin fast for a dsl!!! But here where i live dsl is a wast of money... for 60 buks per month i got optic fiber at 10mb/s 24:7 and i never had a single problem always smooth!!!! and it actualy goes more than 10mb/s... my record in dling was 1.8mbyte/s :P:P:P

umm,, yea what are you using to test your bandwith. That seems way off for the amount your paying?!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for 60 buks per month i got optic fiber at 10mb/s 24:7 and i never had a single problem always smooth!!!! and it actualy goes more than 10mb/s... my record in dling was 1.8mbyte/s

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the above statement! On top of that paying 60bucks in my opinion is too much for home, except if running a SOHO.

By the way, I have DSL from Bellsouth, never had any problem with it. It's never been down, never had any problem retrieving mail [touch wood.] Though they advertise 1.5Mbps [256Kbps ul], but ever since I moved, my max has been 1.2Mbps :angry:

dsl and never had any problems. we have fiber optics and a whole bunch of stuff that obviously isnt being used.. 1.5 mbps $48 a month for that and tv. the isp is qwest.. i dont especialy like them bec they want us to use netscape... version 6... not 7 that is out, they say its not compatable or something (which is a lie... and i can't figute out why they owuld say that, netscape 7.something works fine on my parents computer bec they dont like IE for some reason... [i use ie]) ... i had more to say but i walked away and forgot it.. lol... thats enough for now

Im in Italy ;)....

i dont test my bandwith.... i download and i see how fast i go, very simple ;)

I dont think 60bucks a month are much for a 24:7 10mbit connection and phone line :huh:

ive got cable... its fantastic because teh exchange booster box thing is about 25 paces from my front door so i get great speed because as you all know the futhur you are from the exchange the slower connection you get.

My conenction is rated at 512 down and 64 up which sounds really crap but because I seem to be the only one using the exchange (no one else in my area has broadband and actually uses it for anything other than downloading a few songs through P2P) I get speeds of around 1meg down and 386 up its fantastic... the only time theres problems is around peak time when the ISP is busy with dialupers.

I was going to switch to BT but I found that with OMNE (current ISP who are totally inept at everything but have no TOS) I can run a server from home on my connection without hassle :D (i run an FTP server 24/7) and also I bought a 54g wireless router (dads pc is downstairs and the broadband comes direct to my room so he has to connect up some how) witha RJ45 (cat5) connection and BT use ADSL which is over your standard phone line so is RJ11 which obviously wont fit RJ45 so I'm now stuck witha service which goes down every month or so but is fast and convinient

And I now realise that i've rambled on for ages

we actually rate them at around 6.1mb but you only pull 1.5 if your lucky...and the lines only go out 17000 ft. past that and you cant connect....so the closer to the dslam the better.....

• 3 months later...

It,s an old thread but i,ll update it anyway I,ve been with my dsl provider now for several months now and i can say my dsl blows away my cable provider by over 33% and it has proven much more reliable and consistantly faster. No problems was only down once in 3 months and for only 4 hours were i had constant problems with the cable isp. I,m staying with dsl. Plus my email now works without a hitch no more beign told it was my computer was the problem and i,m still highly overclocked using a prommie.

As I'm sure someone has stated somewhere in this thread, it's all about your local providers. I started with Sprint/Earthlink DSL here in NC at $60/month for 1.5M down and 256k up. Had that for a year. Cox Communications then offered RoadRunner for $30/month for the 1st 6 months, then $40/month after that. I switched as I heard nothing but good things from people in my area.

My download speeds DOUBLED what DSL could offer me. I consistently got download speeds of 300KB/sec. So who wouldn't switch? Double the speed for half the price!

Well, a few months after joining, Cox dropped RoadRunner and went with their own network, what they call Cox.net. For the first month of the switch, they had HUGE growing pains. Constantly dropped, bad connections, dropped packets, etc. A LOT of irate phone calls from me, as I missed a lot of Wolfenstein matches in that time frame due to my connection. I was THIS CLOSE to switching back to DSL, when literally, the problems just stopped.

Whatever problems they were having, they resolved. I've had no problems for over the past year-and-a-half. The cost has gone up (it's now $45/month) but so have the speeds. I know of at least 6 people in my neighborhood who have Cox.net and my downloads are consistently 250-300KB/sec. I can have my two PCs on the Internet playing Wolf at the same time, while running email, AIM, TeamSpeak, mIRC, and my wife in the other room can surf the 'Net with no lag problems.

Again, that's just my experience. For me, Cox.net is the better solution. Faster speeds, no committments, and cheaper. DSL wasn't bad, as they had one problem/outage in the year I was with them. Earthlink's customer support was top-notch.

Your best bet, as I'm sure you've heard, is to talk to other people in your area and see what their experiences have been. You'll get a non-biased report from them. Also check out dslreports.com and see if there are posts about broadband in your area.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Actually no one knows how fast DSL can go yet...since it goes thru a fiber optic network before entering your copper.

ADSL is the counterpart to cable...fast download slower upload speed usually around 128-512

SDSL is same upload and download speed. I have seen them rated at 1.8.

RDSL I know its out there, just dont know what it does.