7800GT from MSI or eVGA ???

ahmadka

I would either go with the eVGA ( i have had good luck as have my friends with their products), or would add the XFX to the list. The XFX 7800GT is going into my system that i am building now(not my sig, compleatly different rig). The XFX i like because it is priced good ($310), i have liked all the benchmarks i have seen, and it just looks freakin' sweet (black and green with green led's)

ahmadka,

i cant answer you question directly, but i will say to avoid the current batch of xfx extreme editions. if you look on their forums (and other forums too), there are a lot of people with the new extreme model (the one with the black pcb, copper heatsink, green leds, 4 pin molex etc) that are having problems with the fan sticking on full, and also not running correctly at the factory overclocked speeds. this seems to only apply to the "E" models, and their variants. the xfx support is really poor at the moment too.

mine decided to develop fan problems as well so thats gone back so i think ill be going for the evga, mainly due to the lifetime warranty and the fact that you can add a decent cooler without invalidating it!

i hope this was of use.

If I were you, I would go with the eVGA model for the higher stock (factory overclocked) speeds... but then again, I wouldnt get the one you linked to, I'd get the N517 model that is $20 bucks more and has even higher stock speeds!

THIS ONE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130249

470/1100 stock speeds for the win!

(I just ordered two of them this week!)

ahmadka,

i cant answer you question directly, but i will say to avoid the current batch of xfx extreme editions. if you look on their forums (and other forums too), there are a lot of people with the new extreme model (the one with the black pcb, copper heatsink, green leds, 4 pin molex etc) that are having problems with the fan sticking on full, and also not running correctly at the factory overclocked speeds. this seems to only apply to the "E" models, and their variants. the xfx support is really poor at the moment too.

mine decided to develop fan problems as well so thats gone back so i think ill be going for the evga, mainly due to the lifetime warranty and the fact that you can add a decent cooler without invalidating it!

i hope this was of use.

thanx for the info....all the more reason to avoid XFX ( at least for the time being :P )....I think i will stick with eVGA :P....

If I were you, I would go with the eVGA model for the higher stock (factory overclocked) speeds... but then again, I wouldnt get the one you linked to, I'd get the N517 model that is $20 bucks more and has even higher stock speeds!

THIS ONE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130249

470/1100 stock speeds for the win!

(I just ordered two of them this week!)

I have two of these cards as well....the evga CO editions....copper heatspreader, best factory OC of any of the 7800GT's, evga's warranty....Oc's to 480/1200 in SLI, each card can do 490/1270 by themselves....

Yeah I like the evga's a lot can you tell :P

• 3 weeks later...

I think the EVGA has a lifetime warranty and 24/7 hour non outsourced tech support.

I had a software conflict with a program that came with a widescreen monitor, called evga tech support to rule out a video card problem. They were going to ship out a new 7800GT right away. Fortunately, I discovered the source of the problem and cancelled the shipment but EVGA was easy to reach, polite and professional all the way. That's worth alot.