DFI LAN PARTY N-force 4 christmas craziness

i am not that bad, i am just sick of reinstalling windows. What N force drivers shall i install. i have four options to not install things. Ethernet , Firewall etc , but i dont need any of them do i?

Mate... I too was in your position twelve months ago. Never built a pc from scratch but wanted to have the satisfaction of doing so, and ironing out any glitches myself. I spent days and days reading posts on this and other related forums to bring myself up to speed with required knowledge. Massive amounts of help from members of this forum (thanks all :) ) have assisted me in getting to where I am today... i.e. - no expert, but much more confident than I was a year ago. Read everything you can and then read it again. When you have done that - read it again. When you have done that (and most importantly) make sure you UNDERSTAND it before you apply any of it to your rig. With respect, seven pages into this thread and you are still asking questions that can be answered with a bit of research. People here want to help, but will get hacked off if you don't put in some effort as well (same as any relationship)... Good luck and don't give up - it's worth it ;)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What N force drivers shall i install. i have four options to not install things. Ethernet , Firewall etc , but i dont need any of them do i?

:

Just follow the guides which order to follow for when to install what (SP 2, chipset drivers, display...).

Do NOT install the nvidia network drivers (NAM), nor the nvidia firewall, nor the nvidia IDE drivers (just click on 'No' when asked). I don't recall this being mentioned in any of the guides on DFI street. As good as nvidia is hardware wise (the best in fact), on the driver level they suck. They may work for some people, but since so many people have had issues with the drivers I mentioned, it's a good idea to not install them just to be on the safe side.

Mate... I too was in your position twelve months ago. Never built a pc from scratch but wanted to have the satisfaction of doing so, and ironing out any glitches myself. I spent days and days reading posts on this and other related forums to bring myself up to speed with required knowledge. Massive amounts of help from members of this forum (thanks all :) ) have assisted me in getting to where I am today... i.e. - no expert, but much more confident than I was a year ago. Read everything you can and then read it again. When you have done that - read it again. When you have done that (and most importantly) make sure you UNDERSTAND it before you apply any of it to your rig. With respect, seven pages into this thread and you are still asking questions that can be answered with a bit of research. People here want to help, but will get hacked off if you don't put in some effort as well (same as any relationship)... Good luck and don't give up - it's worth it ;)

:D

ok ok, i do read and read again. But as i have said confused easily by the board not the terminolgy. I have built ASUS systems in the past that never required this much detail and exact BIOS tinkering. So this is a whole new world. So i apologise to people if i am 'hacking' you off.

Rig is up and running now, no BSOD and i have inputted Rgones settings even though some were not in my BIOS. Will run mem test all day tomorrow and then will run 3 d mark. in respect to thye Chip set drivers i know i can read this stuff but i have and get very mixed messages. I installed one of the drivers,. didnt need audio driver and ethernet driver, ide driver , so installed the storage driver , its late and cannot remember.

Till tomorrow

Jay Z

'i got 99 problems and my pc is one'

What BIOS version are you running again?

I think most anyone can assemble a PC - it's like Lego really. And with some basic knowledge you can adjust the BIOS even if you don't really understand in depth what you are doing. What scares most people is they think you have to be a computer engineer to build a PC - and you do, but you don't have to be one to assemble a PC and get it up and running stable.

I do think though, that in order to 'master' this board you need to have more than mere basic knowledge.

I'm by no means an Expert either, not by a far shot. I knew when I bought this board that it would be a challenge, one that I was willing to put time and effort into so I can increase my knowledge and, like douthers here, get the satisfaction of achievement. If someone else tells me exactly how to set up everything, then it's not really my achievement anymore. This forum is full of cries for help, people buying this board thinking it'll be as easy as all the other boards they've owned. In the 3-4 months that I've had this board I've re-installed Windows about 4 times, bcuz I goofed up something. I learned from my mistakes and got back up and running, for the most part I figured it out myself, if not I could usually get the answer I needed within a one-page-post (max) and/or doing some research and/or logical deduction and experimenting. And that's one of the reasons I got this board, to learn more about how computer parts work together. Of course I can always use the help of someone who is more knowledgeable than me.

This is not a 'slap', Joker, just some food for thought. I'm still with you. :)

Man you told a mouth full of the truth there. Awesome really. Simply because there was not one word of hype there and only the plain truth which is hard to come by now days it seems. Kudos Caebron, you are obviously very wise and also logically minded. Luck to you man.

RGone...

What BIOS version are you running again?

I think most anyone can assemble a PC - it's like Lego really. And with some basic knowledge you can adjust the BIOS even if you don't really understand in depth what you are doing. What scares most people is they think you have to be a computer engineer to build a PC - and you do, but you don't have to be one to assemble a PC and get it up and running stable.

I do think though, that in order to 'master' this board you need to have more than mere basic knowledge.

I'm by no means an Expert either, not by a far shot. I knew when I bought this board that it would be a challenge, one that I was willing to put time and effort into so I can increase my knowledge and, like douthers here, get the satisfaction of achievement. If someone else tells me exactly how to set up everything, then it's not really my achievement anymore. This forum is full of cries for help, people buying this board thinking it'll be as easy as all the other boards they've owned. In the 3-4 months that I've had this board I've re-installed Windows about 4 times, bcuz I goofed up something. I learned from my mistakes and got back up and running, for the most part I figured it out myself, if not I could usually get the answer I needed within a one-page-post (max) and/or doing some research and/or logical deduction and experimenting. And that's one of the reasons I got this board, to learn more about how computer parts work together. Of course I can always use the help of someone who is more knowledgeable than me.

This is not a 'slap', Joker, just some food for thought. I'm still with you. :)

I have just tried your settings !

And unfortunately gentlemen the same issue is occuring. half way through 3d mark test 1 , the screen goes black and have to force a restart. Back to thye drawing board. Mighty Caebron and Rgone any thoughts. I has to be the g card right?

I have just tried your settings !

And unfortunately gentlemen the same issue is occuring. half way through 3d mark test 1 , the screen goes black and have to force a restart. Back to thye drawing board. Mighty Caebron and Rgone any thoughts. I has to be the g card right?

Ok, assuming you have used the exact settings as posted by Rgone, used the step-by-step guides as proposed and your rig is still not running stable, we'll try troubleshooting your vidcard. Before we get to that though, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed. Did you flash the BIOS to the 6/23 as was recommended? If not, flash the BIOS and reinstall OS. I don't actually know for sure if not having the latest BIOS and then reinstalling Windows would cause the issue you are having, but in order to exclude any uncertainties I would recommend this route.

If you do have the 6/23 BIOS installed then make sure you have the correct GPU drivers installed. If you are certain you have the correct drivers installed, try the video card in a different board and see if it works.

Just found this thread, and noticed one issue that has gone uncommented. DFI boards and Audigy sound cards often refuse to play nice together. Could that have anything to do with the problems here?

Removing the audio card both physically and via Windows is the way to test for this. Has the card been present through all problems?

nF4 and X-Fi series.

Just make sure there isn't a shared IRQ for starters.

Just found this thread, and noticed one issue that has gone uncommented. DFI boards and Audigy sound cards often refuse to play nice together. Could that have anything to do with the problems here?

Removing the audio card both physically and via Windows is the way to test for this. Has the card been present through all problems?

mmm it cant be that at this stage as i havent installed the audigy yet. I just have a feeling that its the G card fellas , its the same error everytime, One good thing thought is that the BSOD has slowed down a bit now, havent had one yet since the last one that was nf4.dll. I have resinstalled since then and am running Rgones settings. The reason i think its the G card is because its the only thing that i bought second hand of ebay... Its just wierd that it will play Call of Duty 2 but wont complete 3d mark or allow res change within games. i know its a base card but even my brothers 5200 completes 3d mark tests.