NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

Most of these guys don't give enough information to 'find' and hold a pattern. What Revision board you have? Is it preflashed to 12/07/05 bios?

RGone...

Just installed my DFI board yesterday. If I shut it down in any way (including the proper XP shutdown method) the only reliable way to get it to restart is with disconnecting power until the MB led light goes off.

So, I have read through this entire thread and still don't know exactly what I should do other than RMA the board (which I don't really want to do until I have exhausted other items).

Can someone please provide a set of specific examples to try before deciding that I should definitely RMA the board. I've seen things like update the bios, perhaps increase the voltage to the ram, etc. I am relatively new to building PCs so I (and others) want a quick set of steps to take before we decide we should RMA the board.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RGone, yes, I am using the stock bios preflashed on 12/07/05 version 6.00 PG. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I'd like to resolve this (if possible) instead of RMA but will follow the advice given (including whatever steps necessary to test ideas) but I am dying to use the machine since it is an upgrade over a 3+ year old Dell Xenon 2GHz.

As I mentioned, this is my first totally build from scratch system but I've been opening PCs and installing things for, well, a couple of decades now. You tell me what I need to do and with a little help/guidance I can do it. :)

Alex - as my first build, it seemed to me that I should do it right. :)

Everything is running great except for this little booting issue. Oh, and a little oddity in that the LanParty logo at boot seems to be inverted - awefully damn ugly looking.

RGone: PS: The motherboard has been stripped down to:

1 RAM (in orange slot 2)

Video card with PCI Express power

the CPU and heatsink with heatsink fan power attached

The 24 pin power connection

The 8pin power connection

The 4pin FDD power connection

Everything else has been removed and disconnected. No additional power going to any device nor is there any other devices plugged into the MB.

Problem still persists (starts to boot for 2-3 secs and then shuts down). Solution is to unplug power cord and replug for it to work and that has been 100% successful.

RGone,

Ok the freakn problem is back! I thought it was resolved but apparently it is not. I stripped it down and only ran the IDE CDROM and the problem persists. I contact the seller for an exchange. Although the problem would only be a problem 1% of the time since I'm a Windows user for $210 this is ridiculous. My board is v1.0 revision A3 according to CPU-Z.

Solution is to unplug power cord and replug for it to work and that has been 100% successful.

Try this.

As soon as it shuts down. Turn the PSU switch OFF. Press the POWER button on the case or motherboard. Turn the PSU switch ON. Press the Power button on the case or motherboard.

Does it start?

ExRoadie - That does indeed work. I get a flash of activity from everything for 1/4 of a second (fans come on, etc) when I push the power button with the PSU off and then when I turned the PSU back on it works.

So, basically, there are two ways to consistently get it to come on. The method you described and turning off the PSU long enough so that the motherboard LED goes off (7 seconds or so). Afterwhich, turning the PSU back on and pushing POWER seems to work 100% of the time. Based upon other experiences, I am not convinced a second motherboard would behave any differently (or at least, I certainly am not convinced it will behave differently).

So, my question: any reason (other than minor inconvenience) for me to still return it? I can live with this issue since I only boot once day most days. And damn, this machine freaking flies and I'd hate to give it up even for a few weeks with no reasonably expectation a second board would do anything differently.

PS. Is the LanParty Logo on boot supposed to be so ugly and bad looking? It seems the colors are reversed on my system and it doesn't look particulary good.

Cpuz will LIE as it reads the chispet and NOT the board revision. It cannot look on the side of the first long PCI-e slot or the second slot down and read the Rev as RXX.

Good deal on the rma and when you get it back let us know how it roks and rolls or if it does not.

RGone...

RGone,

Ok the freakn problem is back! I thought it was resolved but apparently it is not. I stripped it down and only ran the IDE CDROM and the problem persists. I contact the seller for an exchange. Although the problem would only be a problem 1% of the time since I'm a Windows user for $210 this is ridiculous. My board is v1.0 revision A3 according to CPU-Z.

Ugly because of that> ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB PCI-E x16

RGone...

ExRoadie - That does indeed work. I get a flash of activity from everything for 1/4 of a second (fans come on, etc) when I push the power button with the PSU off and then when I turned the PSU back on it works.

So, basically, there are two ways to consistently get it to come on. The method you described and turning off the PSU long enough so that the motherboard LED goes off (7 seconds or so). Afterwhich, turning the PSU back on and pushing POWER seems to work 100% of the time. Based upon other experiences, I am not convinced a second motherboard would behave any differently (or at least, I certainly am not convinced it will behave differently).

So, my question: any reason (other than minor inconvenience) for me to still return it? I can live with this issue since I only boot once day most days. And damn, this machine freaking flies and I'd hate to give it up even for a few weeks with no reasonably expectation a second board would do anything differently.

PS. Is the LanParty Logo on boot supposed to be so ugly and bad looking? It seems the colors are reversed on my system and it doesn't look particulary good.

Guest Bulldog

@alex

Issue received this morning, but I need you list your system specs in the Email as indicated in the reply. I've been following this discussion closely and when I have your specs I will see what I can do. Give me some time to think about the matter and see if I can come up with something. Board might be in need RMA, but I won't know for sure until I get all the facts sorted out.

@Bulldog

Thanx for looking into this!

Would it help if those of use affected also sent emails to you or are you going to work on this with just Alex details? I too have been following this thread closely.

My details are in my signature and I am using all optimal settings, haven't tweaked a thing!

My issue is identical to Alex, in every way!! Anything I can do to help with this as well Im willing to try! :)