NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may throw some thoughts out there. It seems that these boards need the power to run, but what if it is too much for a boot and the mobo goes into a protect mode of sorts.

Also, I am wondering what you guys are setting your VID startup value to? Has anyone tried playing with that setting?

If I may throw some thoughts out there. It seems that these boards need the power to run, but what if it is too much for a boot and the mobo goes into a protect mode of sorts.

Also, I am wondering what you guys are setting your VID startup value to? Has anyone tried playing with that setting?

Why should you have to touch your VID startup value for a MOBO to function properly out of the box? Answer: You shouldn't.

Why should you have to touch your VID startup value for a MOBO to function properly out of the box? Answer: You shouldn't.
absolutely correct, and as i point out, this only seems to effect a small percentage of users. if it was truly widespread the forums would be over run with complaints.

this makes me believe there is something different, wrong if you will, with the boards with the cold boot.

I haven't played with ANY of the 'tweak' settings; I used the 'optimized settings' choice the first time the board started and then again after flashing to the 12/7/2005 bios.

I have set things like boot priority, and ignore all errors in trying to get the board to work consistently. My boot setup is 1) CDROM, 2) Floppy, 3) Hard disk

Should I RMA? I can during the 1st 30 days, which are passing quickly.

I was advised to purchase this board over the ASUS SLI as the seller had experienced higher returns on the ASUS. ASUS has been reliable over the years in my experience, but then so has DFI!

I've built 90+ PC's over the years, mostly for friends and myself. I didn't think I was on the 'bleeding edge' with this one - am I?

One more thing - I have looked carefully at the PS requirements page and see that a PS with 8 pin +12 is expected - even though the user's manual says a 4 pin +12 connection is OK. What is required? My Antec is a 4 pin +12 type and it is installed as per the manual (page 68).

Well, if you guys were to try changing the startup values and found that it fixed the problem, DFI would then know where the issue lies as it may be working on the rest of their boards but maybe right on the border.

There is no need to shoot down an idea of someone who is merely trying to help find a solution to the problem. If it worked, great. Is it right that it needs to be done for a brand new board, NO. But atleast you can be part of the solution and not the continuing whining that it's not working.

One more thing - I have looked carefully at the PS requirements page and see that a PS with 8 pin +12 is expected - even though the user's manual says a 4 pin +12 connection is OK. What is required? My Antec is a 4 pin +12 type and it is installed as per the manual (page 68).
ok, this is just me but i'm gonna go out on a limb here a say that what is required is whatever it takes to get your rig stable enough for you.

the reccomendation in the manual is just that, a reccomendation but it's also worth bearing in mind if problems arise such as instability or power up issues.

Well i had to, i kept getting bsods and reboots in the middle of windows setups nomatter what i tried this ram just will not run at 2.66 volts period.

ok, this is just me but i'm gonna go out on a limb here a say that what is required is whatever it takes to get your rig stable enough for you.

the reccomendation in the manual is just that, a reccomendation but it's also worth bearing in mind if problems arise such as instability or power up issues.

I have a problem with this; it is quite one thing to have problems overclocking versus being able to boot the MB out of the box and get into the BIOS.

I am of the opinion that motherboards purchased with sensible options (CPU, MEMORY, Power Supply) should just start. Period. No futzing around to get into the BIOS.

I have built MANY systems including several using DFI MB's (P2BXL) and this is the only one I have had this kind of problem with. If this is expected behavior, I bought the wrong MB or from the wrong manufacturer.

Using stepwise refinement to get a stable OC configuration is another matter altogether.

Comments, please?

If this is expected behavior, I bought the wrong MB or from the wrong manufacturer.

Using stepwise refinement to get a stable OC configuration is another matter altogether.

Comments, please?

If you want to get off topic of the original thread starter; then start your own thread. Most of the users here may start with one expectation and windup with other satisfactions fulfilled. Since you appear on the very edge of debating what is and how you wish it were, you may do well to go with your gut reaction as already stated above. There is no reason to let a dang one's and zero's handler that will not function as you expect to drive you to unhappiness.

Back in the old days I dumped a few products that did not handle like I felt they should and am not above doing so now to cut down on my graying hair. For me I would go with my gut and save myself any heartache.

RGone...

I have a problem with this; it is quite one thing to have problems overclocking versus being able to boot the MB out of the box and get into the BIOS.

I am of the opinion that motherboards purchased with sensible options (CPU, MEMORY, Power Supply) should just start. Period. No futzing around to get into the BIOS.

I have built MANY systems including several using DFI MB's (P2BXL) and this is the only one I have had this kind of problem with. If this is expected behavior, I bought the wrong MB or from the wrong manufacturer.

Comments, please?