NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

well im getting great tech support from DFI and the guy at Hiper seemed very helpful so hopefully we can get it sorted, the psu thing may not even be connected but ill entertain anything.

could do with a second working expert system to swap the psu on and try.

or a second psu

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys just an update

i was given some testing to do for my specific hardware and problem with the suspicion that another component may have been at fault.

i tried all the tests and it made no difference the system would not reboot from shutdown at any point in the over 80 cycles i tried.

the final step was to replace the memory and cpu to see if either had an issue, i was convinced this was not the case butt i only got all my kit a week or so ago and the problem existed fom first install, but i replaced them anyway with a A64 3000 and some 3200 ram and i still have the issue.

i have eliminated every single component save the board so the upshot is i have asked dfi to let me know how to go about rma'ing the board.

the mods on here and the dfi tech help from bulldog has been fantastic as u can see ive given up trying with this board its all packaged up and ready for return.

rest assured i will be keeping the working replcement and this has not put me off dfi if anything it has guarenteed them a customer as the support from the forum and company has been great so far.

I may have found a solution to the cold boot problem, it appeas that the problem is related to switch bounce with the "Power On" switch. The M/B should really filter out switch bounce but it could be related to component tolerences on the board.

Solution 1 : Momentary press the Power On button really really fast, every time I tried it the PC booted up perfectly.

Soultion 2 : Solder a a 0.01 uF capacitor across the Power On button or Alternatively push the capacitor leads into the “Power On” header make sure the capacitor leads makes contact with the pins.

If it was the motherboard, NO PSU would work.

It seems that there are some PSU designs that have a problem and the manufacturers refuse to make changes to eliminate the problem.

I can not stress this enough. There is no inherent design error in the DFI nF4 motherboards.

You can make this mod on the PSU rather than the motherboard and it would accomplish the same results.

I would rather see you do that than void the warranty on a perfectly good motherboard.

I may have found a solution to the cold boot problem, it appeas that the problem is related to switch bounce with the "Power On" switch. The M/B should really filter out switch bounce but it could be related to component tolerences on the board.

Solution 1 : Momentary press the Power On button really really fast, every time I tried it the PC booted up perfectly.

Soultion 2 : Solder a a 0.01 uF capacitor across the Power On button or Alternatively push the capacitor leads into the “Power On” header make sure the capacitor leads makes contact with the pins.

Thats not a fix, and why Exroadie are you trying to get PSU manufacturers to make alterations when just ONE of DFI's products are really the clear cause?

There are several sources on the internet for making the mod to the PSU. This is a dangerous mod so I'll leave it up to the individual to undertake the search.

Seeing as this problem has been around for quite a while and there are multiple sources for making the mod, I have no idea how you can call this a problem with ONE of DFI's products.

Just in this forum we've seen the same PSU problem with the nF4 and nF4 Expert boards since they were released.

Other manufacturers have had the same problem but they were able to resolve it.

But since I like the idea of people giving links to their sources here's one I found in just a couple of seconds...

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-4...yDead-Mobo.html

Does the post by Scramjet sound familiar?

Exroadie,

What exactly do you mean by "if it was the motherboard, NO PSU would work." ? ? ?

What kind of a generalised meaningless statement is that with regard to this problem?

Are you implying that if the DFI Expert Motherboard is at fault, that ALL PSUs would simply stop working?

I personally dont own a DFI Expert so I say this from what I hope can be taken as a serious unbiast view; ITS A CLEAR MOBO PROBLEM.

It's truly a pain in the rear when hardware doesn't work the way you want it too. I deal with this in my own business every day.

If you look at the facts you will see that there are obviously power supplies that work just fine with the DFI motherboards. This means there is no inherent defect in the DFI board.

Saying the boards are defective is just wrong when there are hundreds of happy forum members running their systems every day without an issue.

NO ONE ever said DFI boards are perfect. NO ONE is saying that there aren't issues. If a rig won't run it's an obvious issue. Sometimes good hardware goes bad or two pieces just won't work together.

All I can do is keep testing to see what falls out when I shake things up.

My posts are only here to bring some sense of reality to the thread.

As always you are free to contact DFI USA.

Exroadie,

What exactly do you mean by "if it was the motherboard, NO PSU would work." ? ? ?

What kind of a generalised meaningless statement is that with regard to this problem?

Are you implying that if the DFI Expert Motherboard is at fault, that ALL PSUs would simply stop working?

I personally dont own a DFI Expert so I say this from what I hope can be taken as a serious unbiast view; ITS A CLEAR MOBO PROBLEM.