Help With Cooling

Hordari

Hi all :Help appreciated with a cooling problem i got

I have just bought a L7VTA mobo , 256 DDR ram and a AMD Athlon 2200+ CPU.

My old cpu was a duron 1200 that ran at around 42' my current temp is 55' i have tried a volcano 7 fan and the reommended fan for amd 2200+ - 3200+ its only a cheapie but its what they recommend for there high end cpus. I have also installed 2 80mm case fans to try and drop the temp but to no joy... any suggestions on a better fan or is this temp normal

Edited by Hordari

Just to let you know your not the only one. Im having trouble with Athlon XP 2400+. Out of interest where are you located and have you got air con. Im in England and so do not. Let me know if you get any results. Ive installed lots more fans but to no avail and am using volcano 11 fan and heatsink

You may want to check and make sure the HSF is seated correctly on top of the cpu and you should take off the side panels of your case to allow additional air flow. Clean the wiring inside your case and make sure the temp in the room your computer is in isnt too hot (If the computer is intacting cool air then the temps will be lower if it intakes hot air the temps will be higher)

If i get this right you took off the volcano7 fan and replaced it with the AMD stock fan?

The volcano7 fan pushes 49CFM at max speed :rolleyes: ,i dont even want to know what the AMD does <_< I think if your HS is properly seated you should stick with the Tt fan that came with the "7" ;)

I hate 70mm fans :angry:

Edited by kobalt

to answer you all im based in England with no air con... 55' is temp whilst sat idle ... no programs running just desktop and not connected to net. Post boot temp is 57' then drops back to 55' at idle... if i run i game temp rises to 60' .... i have 1 side panel removed to allow extra air inside case cpu is seated properly and i used a silver mix compound to seat it. dont wanna risk damage to cpu / mainboard so am thinking bout underclocking it till i can sort out problem with heat. Temp with new fan and V7 are the same... i assume they are correct as MBM / Sisoft / Bios all say the same but dunno if the sensor is defective and/or misreading as hiolding hand close to the cpu/heatsink doesnt feel or smell overly hot. i have latest bios flash on.

Is there another way to test temp without using onboard sensor?

Edited by Hordari

I know you guys are having probs with heat in europe these days, what is the room temp? just to be shure.Cause if you're standing in a room at 32-35c that dosn't help much with cooling :(

just so you know, i have the same problem, because when installing the heatsink i accidentally chipped one of the corners of the cpu die. so, not all of the cpu die is touching the heatsink, causing the cpu temp to rise to about 53 idle for me. and that's the best i can do with a thermaltake heatsink (not sure which one)

I read on the uk amd site that xp 2400+ runs at about 60 degrees so these temps shouldnt be problem. Thing is when mine gets above 50 system becomes unstable. Do you think this could be faulty processor. It could be that im still using sd ram so may be a bit of astruggle. I am gonna get some ddr but cant really AFFORD IT AT THE MOE. What do you think.