ethernet issue

After having this mobo for several months and the ethernet being fine it seems to be dead.

This morning I got up and went to check my email. got an error saying my email client couldnt connect to server. I tryed getting online and FF says it cannot connect.

my wifes computer and my laptop were connected to the net ok so wondering whats going on I run ipconfig from the command prompt.

to my supprise its only has info for ip address and subnet mask. the ip address it had was wrong.

My ip address is 192.168.0.1xx since Im connected to a router, but ipconfig reported 169.254.175.74

wondering if maybe some thing bad had made its way onto my machine I ran antivirus,ccleaner, spybot, and mcafee antispyware. none of which picked any thing up. I then reran them in safe mode with the same results.

I then tryed manualy setting my ip address and other related info, but my machine locked up when I clicked on ok.

I also tryed uninstalling the nvidia ethernet and reinstalling it with the same results. I tryed the connection on my router and cable used for my laptop, Ive now done a fresh install of windows, and I tryed manualy setting the mac address in bios. All with the same result, windows reporting the wrong ip and I can not connect to the net.

If I unplug the network cable windows does detect that it has been disconnected, so apparently there is some form of communication going on.

Does any one have any ideas that could help me. Im wondering if the nvidia ethernet has died and I need to just go get a pci ethernet card.

I've had several instances of exactly what you are describing and have never figured it out. I have and old intel pro 100 that I keep in case it happens again. I thought I had killed the lan several times but a fresh install seemed to always bring it back. Typically happened the most during a borderline unstable speed. Have you tried to clear cmos and do another install. I think I would try that since your not to deep in your drive yet.

The 169.254.175.74 IP is an APIPA address, a technology used in later additions of Microsoft operating systems.

It looks like you've hardcoded your IP on your nF3 250Gb, yes?

Suggestions:

- Verify that you have link lights on the NIC (little green LEDs near the NIC).

- Check the device manager to verify the NIC driver is installed or not.

- Check the event viewer to see if there's any useful info in there, e.g. service failures etc.

- Check the network cable to verify its functioning properly.

You can try loading either an eariler ethernet driver (the one included on the utility CD) or a later version like 5.10 or 5.11. Be forewarned, however, that later versions of drivers can cause problems. Read this series of posts before using a later ethernet version: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32732

Good luck.

I had a similar problem once.

I.P. address was set to be obtain from DHCP, but it kept giving me an address like yours, or very similar.

A simple un-plug and re-plug of the cable and I was back to a DHCP I.P. address.

Got fed up of this happening and got a D-Link DFE-530TX instead. Not had a problem since.

silly question but is your settings in TCP/IP set to automatically detect IP?

some times if you have manually set your IP and your ISP changes your IP address either for more people being on your "circuit" or conflicts of somekind.

before you did a fresh install did you try the Restore to an earlier date function.

Try ipconfig/all command as it gives you more info (you may have done this)

try reseting your router. if you have tried a fresh install and also conected your modem directly to your machine then lastly it must be driver issue do you install the nvidia firewall? I heard its problematic at best and to just not install it. this has happened to me several times when i mess with my routers setup but its always something stupid when i finally figure it out. keep trying and when you find out why this has happened let me/us know as im waiting for the same board to arrive from newegg.

P.S have you installed the nVidia Drivers version 5.11 if so Dont! apparently they dont work. maybe your driver updated without you knowing, never know I hear to just stay with 5.10

Thank's for the replys guys.

In event viewer I was getting a dhcp warning saying it had set the ip to the above mentiond ip address.

As to BiffSteel's post I did have link lights active on the ethernet port.

device manager showed the nvidia ethernet as working and enabled, and I tryed a diffrent port on my router with a diffrent cat5e cable.

Also as stated before windows did detect if I disconnected the cable.

I innitaly had the connection set to auto detect all settings. it was once this problem occured that I tryed to manualy set the ip and related info.

Im not using the nvidia firewall, and have always used the drivers that came on cd with the mobo.

I had read enough before getting this board to try and prevent this type of problem, apparently it didnt work lol :sad:

I picked up a cheap linksys netword everywhere nic from walmart, put it in and windows detected it off the bat and my connection was working as it should. even seems to be a little more responsive.

Im still goning to try and figure out what happened so if any one has any more ideas please throw them in.