DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

I can confirm that Expert shows incorrect temperatures.

I accidently killed my Expert Motherboard (one tiny screw was dropped on it while it was working and Boom!)

:angel:

There's no Expert boards in my local store left so I get temporary replace with Ultra-D board

Configuration and BIOS settings are completely the same, just different board and of course different temperatures.

CPU temperature goes from 24°C on Expert to 33°C on Ultra-D

PWMIC temperature goes from 35°C on Expert to 44°C on Ultra-D

Chipset temperature is 47°C on both boards. It seems that chipset temperature is correct on Expert board.

Those are idle temperatures.

All other temperatures, fan speeds and Voltages it seems correct

So my results shows that CPU and PWMIC temperatures on Expert are 9°C lower than it should be.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, once again, i need to ask: Rgone, does my board reporting temperatures MUCH lower than they should be, and lower than everyone else', (perhaps as much as 18C) qualify the board for RMA, or is this something that can be fixed through a BIOS update, and I'll just run at stock speeds until a new BIOS fixes it?

Again, my board reports 19-21C idle / 29-31 load, for the CPU, no matter how high I overclock it, and there's just no way my Silverstone 121/SI-120 combo is getting even those temps +10! My guesstimates put the scores 16-18C too low, which is VERY dangerous if I OC, and pretty much unacceptable even if I dont.

I'll see if I can scrounge up a tool to measure the actual temps, but again, is this something that needs a hardware revision, or is this repairable through BIOS updates? Can we atleast get THAT much of an answer here? The Taiwan engineers dont exactly respond to emails...lol.

I also feel that if this cannot be fixed through BIOS updates that it justifies a RECALL of some sort, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Ok, once again, i need to ask: Rgone, does my board reporting temperatures MUCH lower than they should be, and lower than everyone else', (perhaps as much as 18C) qualify the board for RMA.
the decision to rma is yours. are you gonna trade it for another expert? refund? another expert isnt gonna make any difference and i seriously don't think yours is special or reporting lower than everyone elses.

sg1.jpg

Just my two cents here as a user

palehorse - You are running a non-supported CPU (the Opteron). Think it was made very clear early on that DFI could not say it was supported (or have a bios that says it was supported) because of Restrictions by AMD. Just not allowed.

One of the risks we take when using an unsupported CPU.

"Silverstone 121/SI-120 combo " - hell of a combo, depending on application of TIM, cooler seating, case and case air flow - it could be very cool depending on Processor and overclock.

Yes, I would think some measurements with a good thermal sensor are in order if you intend to seek an RMA.

It is very, very common for new mobos to need some type of revision to correct for temp errors. A later bios revision usually corrects the problem.

As RGone and Angry have stated the boards use very common and very inexpensive sensors to keep the boards within target cost. Very good sensors for a mobo but certainly not the best sensors for the ultimate in accuray when measuring temps or voltages.

the decision to rma is yours. are you gonna trade it for another expert? refund? another expert isnt gonna make any difference and i seriously don't think yours is special or reporting lower than everyone elses.

lol, well im not trying to be "special," but it was my impression that the reported temps were averaging 8-10C under, whereas mine seems to be twice that. If you know of examples reporting 30C or more below actual, then there is an even bigger problem here, and that is the inconsistency.

It would be much better if the temperatures were known to ALWAYS be 8-10 under, so that we could easily adjust for it in our observations...

I'm a VERY patient dude, and I'm also VERY happy with the motherboard in every other aspect. Hell, I had a first-time GO in every test I ran at stock speeds, with every item in my new rig! Who could ever complain about that!? lol... And I owe alot of my success to this forum here!

BUT, that said, I really do plan to OC this thing, so the temperatures are a major concern. I have no experience with any of these new parts, so I'm being very careful not to fry anything. Right now, I'm 100% stable (BF2, Pi@32M, Memtest, 3dMark01-05, etc) running at 2600mhz, so I cant really complain about anything, but I really wouldnt mind seeing accurate temperatures! Mine reports the same idle and load temperatures for all clocks 2000 to 2750 mhz (DOH!)!

I guess a thermal sensor of some sort is my only real option at this point... anyone have a link to a nice/cheap thermal probe? Is it better to use the kind that pinch under the HS (such as those included with most fan controllers), or is it better to get a probe that you just place against the mobo directly?

Guest Bulldog

Just so everyone involved in this discussion can sleep at night I have had some reports of low CPU temp readings from various users here in Europe as well, which lends credibility to this discussion. I couldn't reproduce these funky temp readings myself with my San Diego 4000+ or Venice 3000+. I have however taken the claims seriously and am currently discussing the matter with my contacts at DFI HQ to see if we can pin the problem. It's difficult to get a concensus on this as it seems random. However if you guys can can report the "ADA..." codes imprinted on the surface of your CPUs it would help alot. I will check back in a few days and gather the reported codes and see if we can get a pattern out of this.

"ADA..." codes imprinted on the surface of your CPUs it would help alot. I will check back in a few days and gather the reported codes and see if we can get a pattern out of this.

I think I can pull my heatsink off tonight, hopefully to get this to you soon!

well I recently ditched the dfi nf3 mobo for the expert and my temps are reg'd at 25c also and barely budge, this is definately wrong as my nf3 registered 40-50c with an 3000 64 o/c'd which seems much more reasonable

is this going to be fixable at all? I cant see how a bios update could fix it seems more like dodge sensors :(

the nf3 was probably the first board ive ever had that read the temps correctly