DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

the BIG problem is...... one is 47, the other is 60/68 respectively........ THAT'S 13~21C DIFFERENCE!!!

so who's the liar here ? :(

NONE are as the Core1,2 readings are not to be compared with Core temps.

Core temp is just the calculated reading between both cores together not just one,..

Your temps are fine specially on air and at that voltage.. so just let it burn or try a new mount to see if you improve on temps.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NONE are as the Core1,2 readings are not to be compared with Core temps.

Core temp is just the calculated reading between both cores together not just one,..

Your temps are fine specially on air and at that voltage.. so just let it burn or try a new mount to see if you improve on temps.

bingo. thats the answer i was waiting for :) thx LW...

now, to actually has 20+C difference in readings... even if it *calculates* the value, what kind of twisted equation did they use??

so if anybody asked me "whats ur CPU temp?" around here, should i answer "47 on load", or "65~68 on load", or perhaps... "47 max, but cores go as high as 68" ;)

man, what a mouthful.

i missed the days i can simply answer "50". and be done with it. lol

Well, normally the CoreTemp reading is much more realistic. And yes, the difference between the cores is there, you can get it away with a different heatsink or so (depends on the heatsink how big the difference is, at least in water cooling it does).

If you're running without IHS and with water cooling, then the reading of the board is pretty much the same than on CoreTemp.

But like right now, you should rather believe the core 1/2 reading than the normal sensor...

Why not give out both MBM5 (temperature diode) and CoreTemp (Digital Thermal Sensor) temps?

They are two different measurements of two different sensors as the man said.

In fact the more info the better, like in a signature. :)

My "nekid" 170 @ 2.9GHz is at 50C with 1.55v while priming in MBM5 using an AC Freezer 64 Pro.

With the same voltage CoreTemp shows 60C on Core #0 and 68 on Core #1.

If you said just "50" we'd be asking what speed, what voltage, what monitoring program, and what type of cooling anyway.

Well at least I would, but I'm kind of a nerd :D

I've got a RDX200CF-DR, but I'm having the same problem - what it looks like is that SmartGuardian is showing my hard drive's temperature rather than my CPUs...I've started using CoreTemp which shows what seems to be the correct temp, but was just wondering if there is a work around :)

I don't give a second thought to temp readings from any software these days. None of them can be relied on for accuracy. I pop the CPU in, mount my block, then when I get the rig fired up I check mbm5 for the split between idle and load. Single core with stock volts I get a 3 degree split, dual core I get a 5 degree split. This lets me know I have a good mount and there won't be nothing I can do to change the temps from that point.

From that point as I bring more voltage I keep an eye on the new idle temp and the split to let me know where I am at. Heat isn't a CPU killer, it just limits your overclock. Voltage is far more important, but it is a personal choice, run as much as you feel comfortable with.

Comparing your software temp readings with someone elses is far from telling somebody something, that's for sure.. If they ask just give them the MBM5 reading and move on..

got it. thanks guys.

its just the 20C difference between the 2 sensors annoy the hell out of me....

but thats just me :)

@CPDMF, altho i agree wit u at every point, i have to add that when im comparing the same board, same family of CPU, and same cooling, i can use the comparison to tell if my heatsink is mounted properly or the airflow in my case is good or no....

so i cant say its that far from telling anybody anything...

got it. thanks guys.

its just the 20C difference between the 2 sensors annoy the hell out of me....

but thats just me :)

@CPDMF, altho i agree wit u at every point, i have to add that when im comparing the same board, same family of CPU, and same cooling, i can use the comparison to tell if my heatsink is mounted properly or the airflow in my case is good or no....

so i cant say its that far from telling anybody anything...

well like soundx98 said.. give out both CoreTemp & MBM5 temps so people get a bigger picture and just like CPDMF give them MBM5 and assume they know how to use that info, as most of us allready know that a good mount means alot and we don't always go by out first mount as we tried a couple until we get the desire idle temps.

• 1 year later...