DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

Guest Crusader

Just flashed to the 7 december BIOS and I noticed that the RAM DLL Speed setting has been removed again. For the rest I noticed no differences.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crusader
same here :-/

Well understand me correctly, I don't have a problem with this at all and offcourse it's still a beta and I'm just one of those guys that likes to try out the latest and greatest versions out there. And btw, maybe there's an improvement I have not noticed yet ... too soon to tell since I literally just flashed it 5 min. ago. :)

You guys who are complaining about the beta bios could always flash back to the first release and risk blowing your CPU's and no support for Opty's, which way would you prefer it, no RAM DLL or no Working CPU ?

mate i'm on the first bios....i ain't flshing beta POS bioses until they are 100% they've got that problems fixed up ANYWAY this is going OT.............we need temp fixes as well

Im on the latest beta bios on my expert currently got my opty 148 (2.2ghz) stable at 2.92ghz, and still pushing, my idle temp says 31oC on my gigabyte board it says 33oC so its not that far out, unfortunatly i sold my gigabyte board for this piece of crap but thats another story and the admins seem to think that my psu isnt putting out enough power, how should they know, DFI dont say anything about that, and I know of people on lower wattage PSU than me running these boards, my PSU has plenty to spare.

I have the latest bios and it has indeed increased the temperature up higher. It use to be around 15oC out, now its about 8-9oC out if im correct.

1 thing i have noticed though, is the fan speed on the motherboard.

The temperature reading says 35oC, and it will incrase the fans speed to around 3750rpm, even though i have set the fan speed to be on maximum at 25oC in bios and changed it to full speed in smartguardian as well.

Its like the bios is reading the temperature correctly and adjusting the fan accordingly however just not giving readouts of the right temperature. And the bios fan speed seems to do virtually nothing, as if my cpu gets up to the 40oC mark, it will still increase the fan speed even more than 3750rpm to around 5000rpm, even though its on maximum @ 25oC.....

Weird, anyone else notice this.

Cheers

When I got this motherboard I was a little skeptical about the temperature readings so I put a temperature probe on the edge of the CPU where it touches the heat sink, and graphed the readings and those from Everest and bios.

notice bios reads 5 degC below ambient at start_up.

Bios. Meter Ambient temp

18... 28...... 23 ... Off

19... 29...... 23 ... ON

20... 30

20... 29

27... 33

28... 34

28... 35...... 23... Start super pi 32

30... 36

30... 37

31... 37

32... 39

33... 39

33... 40

34... 41

35... 41

34... 42

34... 42

36... 43

35... 43

36... 43

36... 44

36... 44

37... 44

38... 44

37... 45

38... 45 ...... end super pi

37... 45

i flashed to the 12/07/2005 beta bios. it worked i see the right date when it POSTs. my temps are almost the same?!

i have a dual core opty 170 @ 2677MHz @ 1.55V

EDIT: spoke too soon, i can no longer run my opteron at those speeds. i tried 267FSBx4LDTx10CPU @ 1.55V smartguardian reading, and i got blue screens as soon as i got into windows. i lowered it to 265FSBx4LDTx10CPU @ 1.55V and now i'm fine. um...wtf? my other configuration of 315FSBx3LDTx8.5CPU @ 1.55V doesn't work either, it'll get into windows the first time, then the display gets corrupted, and when i reboot, it refuses to POST until i clear the CMOS.

should i keep this BIOS or flash back to the old one? i used WinFlash to flash it, and i didn't flash the bootblock/dmi area, only the mainblock. it kind of scared me since at 39% way through the window disappeared, turns out it disappeared into the taskbar, but it finished flashing properly.

ugh this thing keeps giving me BSODs for IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL or something like that. :| i'm down to 260FSBX4LDTx10CPU @ 1.48V to see if this is stable. the last setup (265FSBx4LDTx10CPU @ 1.55V) gave me a BSOD as soon as i tried running dual prime95 to check the hottest temperature.

i'm almost inclined to think its crashing because of some driver problem with the motherboard sensors. its crashed while i'm trying to check/start everest/smartguardian each time. maybe im just paranoid

so i went back to my stock bios, and lowered voltage by 0.05V just to be safe (to 1.5V), load temps are now reading 38 C, which should still mean its under 49 C max case temp? the beta bios gave me almost the same temperature readings. are you sure its off by 13 degrees? the guy who posted in the other thread showed at load the difference decreased (38Cindicated ~ 45Cactual)