Amd Runs At Slower Speeds?

I am buying a new computer... or i should say, my dad is buying a computer for me and my borhters. we've been looking around and i see AMD processors running at 2.1 when the same price pentium 4 is at 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz... I know that AMD chips are suposed to run smoother, but what are the other advantages? im suposed to pick today... mabye i shouldnt have waited so long.. oops :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning on going AMD anyway, I just wanted to know why they are marked so slow... I wasnt asking for a vote... and what exactaly does kevin mean?

Edited by Aliencam

on an AMD 2400+ the clock speed is 2Ghz (ok..it is something like 1998mhz or 1997mhz...but, whatever!)

but for marketing it is called a 2400+ because in benchmark testing the AMD CPU performs somewhat the same as an INTEL P4 2.4Ghz..

even though the AMD actually has a "slower" clock speed....

there is a much more detailed description somewhere, I just can't put my hands on it.....

Does that answer the question?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT GET AN HP! i had one and the fan inside it died on me in 2 years, first it started making this loud cracking sound because the motor was messed up and then it just stopped on me. I had to get a 8 inch fan to put by my open case to keep my system running. I'm never buying a premanufactured computer again.