Would the old "TURBO BUTTON" computers be the first overcloc

{TCC}puTTs

I only went to the PC in the 486 Age... DX 25 was my first in a huge weighty box... I overclocked it to 33mhz too... So right from the get go I overclocked my PC.

Before that I was an avid Amiga owner as lets face it, it completely 0wned the 386 and below. My custom A1200 ran rings around a 386. You just had to run something like Pinball dreams side by side and you would laugh that the PC version was like a slide show on the 386 that cost like 900 quid to my smooth running Amiga which cost like 200... Hell even shows like Babylon 5 used Amigas to do the SFX with lightwave and video toasters because back then they 0wned the PC. All the best Graphics packages were on the Amiga, Deluxe Paint 5 (yes 5 the PC only got as far as II or III I think) and not forgetting the superb Billiance.

But Commodore screwed everything up and didnt keep on top of it. Rested on thier laurels and did no updates to the Amiga Hardware.. Custom hardware or not the PC, once the 486 CPU's came on the scene blew it out of the water. Doom, Wing Commander etc... and the Poor old Commodore Girlfriend died......

So I sold my Amiga with a C64 thrown in and used to money to get my first clunky 486 PC. No CD Drive, No Sound card and a 11" IBM VGA Monitor...

I was laughing the other day with a friend, He said and I quote....

Remember YEEEAAARS ago when I sold you 16mb of ram for your machine and charged you £20 for it?

To which I replied,

Yeah, I do, but do you also remember that I never paid you for it?

PWNT I beleive the kids say!

I have to agree with the intel 440bx starting the overclocking revolution. sure things were clocked higher in the past, but the BX chipset let it explode. I had an abit BH6 running a celeron 300A stable at 450mhz, not so stable at 500mhz but still useable.. in fact I had this computer running a few aps until a few weeks ago when I built the rig in my sig and finally retired the cellery :rolleyes:

I am "Windows Generation" Actual Windows, as we know it, I started on Windows 95, Started OCing, the Pentium 2s back then, 400 mhz, was so godly, man I was the first around here, to have 4 mb, 4 FULL mb of video ram, so godly, hell ratio wise, it ran everything up to Quake 3 Arena, nowdays we need these newfangled 256mb+ Plus cards, that can't even max out the new gfx engines, (Although alot of the eye candy is wasteful programing/resources just because we can.)

If I recall correctly, those turbo buttons were in place because of the programmers not being able to account for the way that the PCs clockspeed which was a primary factor in most game timing. That's why some earlier games such as Theme Hospital play at lightning-unplayable-speed on today's computers.

man i remember back in the days when my dad had an amiga...used to play

It came from the desert and pirates on disk..this was when i was like 8 years old (18 now) omg i had so much fun...before last summer i tried an emulator to get back to my old games..quite a revolution weve come to...i think my dad still has a few amiga magazines lying around LMAO....how times change

Mike

/me waits until someone misunderstands the above post and posts

" YOU CANT RUN QUAKE 3 ARENA ON A 4MB VIDEO CARD OR 400MHZ"

Snigger... :)

Wow I sure hope not, as they should feel retarded, when I said *up to, and If I recall it ran ok, 333 MHZ ran it fine, for sure, and I remember running it perfectly on the GeForce4 I put into it at the time. No crazy res etc, though haha. As well as the 4mb Intergrate ATI RAGE, man ATI RAGE 4 Life, ironically I have a GeForces now hahaha.... wonder why?!

my old man who worked at Westinghouse as a designer, bought us A ibm pc with dual 5.1/4" drives with 256k of "total" memory. The green screen was oh so cool. He got it at the bargin price of $6,000.00 bucks. The man never bought another computer........