Would the old "TURBO BUTTON" computers be the first overcloc

{TCC}puTTs

I just dusted off the old 286 system here, with the legendary "turbo button" on the front. :) With a flip of the switch on the fly it goes from 8mhz to 12mhz :) It's sweet watching commander keen pogo sticking real slow then WHAM he's bouncing off the walls.lol Would these system be the first factory intended overclockers? Just got me thinking. You got to love the monster "trident EGA 128kb" vid card, man she's a screamer. puTTs

It's crazy how far they've come. I remember before there were harddrives with the old tandys. Just had two 5.25" drives, one was the OS other was the what you wanted to run. I think the battery is dead in my little 286 here, have to boot of the BIOS disk to get it to fire up. This computer has the original Microsoft flight simulator. How sweet is that. I just thought it was cool the way you can switch from turbo to normal on the fly and watch games almost double in performance. puTTs

I remember when I had a 386 I liked playing around with qbasic playing nibbles and pressing the turbo button and it going too fast, and it had no mouse so in windows 3.1 I drew pictures in paint with the keyboard.

Nahhhh! I had an TI-99-4A computer way-back. To overclock it, you just had to plug-it-in and use it! Blinding 4K of RAM too!

Man...doing the dishes was more exciting than writing programs in BASIC on that thing. Nifty cassette tape backup and voice module. My son gave it to his son not long ago.

Three generations' use of a PC...what's the world coming to? ;-}

anyone still believe like I do that the Intel 440BX was the beginning of our overclocking revolution?

Yeppers. It was the first chipset from Intel that truely offered a outstanding feature set relating to memory, FSB and AGP speed.

Back then, I took a DFI P2XBL Rev D, dropped a 676Mhz, 133FSB PIII CPU (latest and greatest) on it matched with a set of Crucial 133Mhz SDRAMs and a Voodoo Banshee. Nothing at that time could touch it. 89Mhz AGP bus and 38Mhz PCI bus operated 24/7 without one single hiccup. Later on I upgraded to a 750Mhz, 100Mhz FSB CPU and clocked it to just short of a 1Ghz. Worked great!

I remember those days well...

anyone still believe like I do that the Intel 440BX was the beginning of our overclocking revolution?

I didn't overclock at the time but yet that chipset is the first one where I started thinking "ok, there are really cool chipsets and you need to start being selective".

In fact, I type this from a laptop running 440BX.

And my attick has a mainboard Asus P2B with a 1300 MHz Tualatin (Powerleap mod), which extended the life of that chipset bejond anything I'd thought.