Stock Speed Database DISCUSSION THREAD

Guest LithoTech
anytime you switch to different memory, you need to start a new thread

anytime you use the same memory but a different cpu or video card then you can add a second post to your existing thread (just pm me and I'll open it for you to post in again)

So I could post a second entry using 2 gigs (4 x 512mb) to the same thread as a 1gig (2 x 512mb) same ram?

if you then tighten up the timings, you can then either decide to add a second post with much tighter timings, or edit your original post with the new timings.

I like the second post idea, lord knows I could do it enough in the OCDB. ;) I'm just thinking that it would be quite handy for anyone comparing the two, coming up with his own settings.

timings = this isn't about performance at all, so hopefully you guys will eventually understand that this section nor the OC Database section is about how large of a penis you can have.

this section and the OC Database section is to help others achieve stability.

IE if you use loose timings to get an entry, that is excellent because stability is what is most important.

Aye, mine could have fallen off years ago, no worries there. :O

Fortunately, overclocking isn't just about plugging in some numbers that you pick out of a list or spreadsheet of component combinations. It is something you must arrive at after a process of exploration and experimentation; the system must be massaged into it's overclocked state. It is so true that no two systems are alike, and any one component swapped out means it's almost a whole new ballgame. Well, unless you have one of those magical... winnies was it? :tooth:

One has to start somewhere... or like me, come here after sinking like a rock when jumping in with both feet, treading water then dogpaddling to the shore!

Can't tell you how much I learned about ram just with this one kit of Centon. The lesson ain't over till I get 2gigs runnin', then I think I see some TCCD or maybe some CE-6 on the horizon! Weee! :eek:

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I could post a second entry using 2 gigs (4 x 512mb) to the same thread as a 1gig (2 x 512mb) same ram?

no, if you change RAM or add more modules, it gets an entirely new post

if you just change the settings then you can add a secondary post to an original thread

Guest LithoTech
no, if you change RAM or add more modules, it gets an entirely new post

if you just change the settings then you can add a secondary post to an original thread

Okies, thanks for the clarification HG!

good entry Praz

but this is something maybe you guys aren't understanding that I want you to keep in mind

the whole purpose of the Stock Speed Database is to show other users your settings for 100% stock stable speeds using just about all default settings.

I am not bitching that you have your settings as tight as they are, but that should really be a secondary addition to an original post using the SPD timings that the memory has (and that memory surely doesn't have 00 TRAS lol)

Don't take this as I am violently angry...I just want to make sure you guys understand exactly what the primary purpose is of the SSDB...it's to show OTHER USERS how to get 100% stable using their hardware at stock settings.

Stock settings

means not as tight as you can wind them

however, once you put up a post with stock settings, then you should go ahead and drop a post with the same bits all tightened up but still at stock SPEED (not necessarily at stock SETTINGS).

Does this make sense to you guys?

Like I said, my post here isn't to insult or talk down to you or anything (expressions are tough with just text). Its supposed to be a simple explanation as to the primary nature of the SSDB, and then secondary posts with the same hardware all tightened up are like a little icing on the cake.

I've locked Praz's post not because it's crap (it would have been deleted if it was crap lol), but because that is just customary so no one can post behind it.

This discussion thread is to be used for all entry discussions (just in case anyone didn't bother to read through this thread or the rules to understand this lol)

So don't get mad, but I would rather see you (Praz) make a new post with all the STOCK SETTINGS, and then copy/paste your entry that I just locked in as a second post.

Let me know if you guys still aren't sure what I am asking for ;)

(keep in mind I am more appreciative of those who put entries here than in the OC Database because if a rig ain't running at stock speed, it ain't worth a damn overclocked)

I totally understand. I'm running a setup for default stock now. I've set most of the timings to Auto, booted into Windows, wrote the timings down and went back and manually put in those values. It was my intention all along to include this entry also. I'll get this posted soon. I did this backwards I know but since I had that part done I thought I'd go ahead and post it and get it out of the way.

its ok like I said

get your entry done that you are working on now, and then we'll put your previous entry in behind it showing how you've tightened it all up ;)

I try to keep things simple so as to not discourage users from making entries....but rules is rules and though most of us scoff at stock speed (or don't even know the meaning of the phrase lol), we always got to be looking out for noobs who have never touched one of these monsters before

Guest LithoTech

That is some mighty fine ram!

Near the end of the summer I'll be putting a new system together for my eldest. Depending on how the cpu chip price battle goes, it may be an Intel, AM2 or 939.

If it goes 939, and it very likely will, I'll be able to use one of the DDR kits I have, and that should free up finances to look at getting a 2gig kit of those Redline or OCZ EB's.

At first I wasn't too impressed with 2gig kit timings, but plenty happy with the performance of my UCCC XTC's when overclocked.

But now that I see what these CE-6 can do at 200mhz, they are approaching what BH-5 or TCCD do! I must resist letting this sway my decision on cpu choice (lol), I'd rather move into DDR2 and start collecting that now, than getting even more DDR ram that will eventually be unsellable.

Guest LithoTech
its ok like I said

get your entry done that you are working on now, and then we'll put your previous entry in behind it showing how you've tightened it all up ;)

I try to keep things simple so as to not discourage users from making entries....but rules is rules and though most of us scoff at stock speed (or don't even know the meaning of the phrase lol), we always got to be looking out for noobs who have never touched one of these monsters before

I missed this part of the discussion till now, though it had been on my mind to post a second entry to mine with greatly relaxed timings -- ever since you mentioned adding second posts to the entries with tighter or optional timings. I liked the idea, and hope to see it done more, encourage by example.

So, I'll be doing the same thing. When I get time later today, I'll dig through my speed database screens and see if I don't already have one ready to upload. I did two or three 24+ hour primes and benches on these sticks before finally deciding on the settings I posted.

I went with the one I entered simply because there was another entry for BH-5 that was very similar, and in fact I piggy-backed off his settings to arrive at mine. In the end, it helped tighten my overclock settings, and I think that fact alone proves the value of this forum!

Anyway, if I don't have a solid set of screens ready to upload now, or if the benches are incomplete for it, I might take several days before I can let the system cook 24+ hours and create a new entry. I have my brother and two young nieces coming to town this weekend (long weekend in Canada) and we'll be doing some gaming I'm sure. So it will have to wait till next week at the earliest.