Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

@newguy

Google a little program called TcaseMax..it will tell you the max temp your chip is rated to. I have seen quite a bit of variation among the opterons so you should probably check your own individual chip...mine is rated to 63c.

Primed last night @ 290 x 10 (1.275 x 1.13 = 1.44 vCore)

It is Superpi stable @ 300 x 10 1.55 vCore but have no idea if it is prime stable there yet...let it run for 15 minutes or so before I got bored and decided to run in tonight :rolleyes:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switched to my 175 yesterday and am having a dickens of a time with my RAM. Settings that are Memtest stable at 2-3-3-7 @ 318 MHz fail Prime large FFT immediately. (I know, I know, Memtest means nothing...). Corrupted the hell out of Windows (and lost all my 148 screenshots in the process). I'm finally at least semi-stable, enough to test without thrashing my install.

I hope you got it stable soon :angel: I am waiting for screen shots and Ram setting :cat:

do others test o/c 175 with Expert?? :tooth:

After I read this forum :eek2: , I am really interested in Opteron (I think I would go with 175 instead of X2 4400 :) )

@ tatts

I agree with you fully that staying under 50c at all times on a 939 is the way to go...I hope my post did not imply that I was willing to even come close to my max chip temp! :eek2:

I just got my Opty 175 in today it's stepping is CCBWE 0534SPMW.
In all the dual core results I've seen thus far, it seems like there are ultimately only two steppings: there is CCBWE 0530TPMW's, and there is everything else. The only dual cores demonstrating truly remarkable results are the 0530's. I have seen these 0534's, and seem to recall them reaching around 2.65GHz on air, 2.75GHz on water, and 3GHz+ with phase. Do some searching to learn more.

It may be of interest to know that some later weeks (0544?) are starting to pop up. Don't know how they are doing yet. If you are cool with 2.6GHz to possibly 2.75GHz, buy now. However, it might be worth it to wait to see if a new great week surfaces. With the single cores, there was a long spell of poor steppings after the initial CABNE's came out. But eventually the CABYE 0540's hit the scene, and did so in style. I doubt any owner of one would trade it for the world.

I would probably hold off on buying a dual core Opteron at the present time - if I only wanted 2.6GHz+, I think I might just grab an X2. Futhermore, I have seen too many owners of crappy 165's who sorely regret going Opteron. I would bet that a new great stepping/week will eventually arrive (maybe a true 3GHz chip, as the 0530's fall just shy). If you do decide to wait, the moment you here the merest whisper of a great new stepping, act IMMEDIATELY. Constant research and instant action are the sole reasons I have mine.

I would probably hold off on buying a dual core Opteron at the present time - if I only wanted 2.6GHz+, I think I might just grab an X2. Futhermore, I have seen too many owners of crappy 165's who sorely regret going Opteron. I would bet that a new great stepping/week will eventually arrive (maybe a true 3GHz chip, as the 0530's fall just shy). If you do decide to wait, the moment you here the merest whisper of a great new stepping, act IMMEDIATELY. Constant research and instant action are the sole reasons I have mine.

Thanks ixtapalapaquetl...

I already bought this one. I got it from MWAVE just wondering if I should keep it or send it back?

CABYE 0540FPMW from monarchcomputer.com, finally got some good overclock result.

10x300, PI 32M

1123053.jpg

10x306, PI 1M

1123055.jpg

Working on 10x310, but thi sOpteron does not work well with my Geil One SE, probably will try the S.Skill 1GBGH later. :)

Which Opteron should i go for? I'm thinking on a 146 single core. But which part number og model should i go for? I'm thinking like, for AMD 64 there was the Venice. Are there such thing for the Opteron series too?

Thanks ixtapalapaquetl...

I already bought this one. I got it from MWAVE just wondering if I should keep it or send it back?

jmvtec, I ordered a 170 from Mwave, and it seems at the same time as you did. You could wait until I test mine if you want to hold off opening it.

However, I ordered ground shipping and it will only be here next Wednesday and I won't be able to test it before Thursday.

Which Opteron should i go for? I'm thinking on a 146 single core. But which part number og model should i go for? I'm thinking like, for AMD 64 there was the Venice. Are there such thing for the Opteron series too?

There is no part number marking that would allow you to figure out which code exactly you get, much less which week.