Doing my part for energy conservation (merged environmental threads)

Angry_Games

A thread about Energy Conversation on an OC site????? This could be interesting.. I have 4 computers running in my house. The 2 in my sig and 2 others, one happens to be a dual 3.06 xeon machine(Granted they are not all on at the same time). With the wattage I pull just to run my boxes I could run my neighbors house. Am I truly doing my part by using flourescant bulbs. Personally I switched over because I got tired of at least once a week I would turn on a light and the bulb would pop and this would continue throughout the house like a friggin circle of insanity. Kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc then repeat....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I switched over because I got tired of at least once a week I would turn on a light and the bulb would pop and this would continue throughout the house like a friggin circle of insanity. Kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc then repeat....
I feel your pain

jeez you'd think that with about 300,000,000 americans...they'd think to do the same thing (since we are the biggest wasters of energy in the world...we use it and abuse it like it is free)

And don't forget the biggest polluters :D

Yeah they are pretty good over here for things like that. I also got a £300 energy economical Fridge Freezer for a much reduced price of £50, and my loft and cavity insulation done for free :)

I think we could improve on recylcling facilities in my area though. They collect all paper products seperately from each household where i live for recycling but other areas have seperate bins for paper, bottles, cans, garden waste as well as regular rubbish/garbage...

Here in the UK we recycle an average of 29%(or something like that) of our waste, but some other European countries(such as Holland) recylcle as much as 70%!

Personally I switched over because I got tired of at least once a week I would turn on a light and the bulb would pop and this would continue throughout the house like a friggin circle of insanity. Kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc then repeat....

Lol, true. With these Energy Saver bulbs you don't have to really worry about that. On the box they say they last around 10 years.... Saying that though, i did have one go on me after about a year, it cracked.

We can start an energy conservation movement.. I can shave mine by 600 watts. Return all my machines to stock, pull the pelts and remove all the remaining water cooling components... Who's with me??

Be standing here in the dark playing freecell by myself I'm sure..... :nod:

Lol, true. With these Energy Saver bulbs you don't have to really worry about that. On the box they say they last around 10 years.... Saying that though, i did have one go on me after about a year, it cracked.

I got tired to replacing regular light bulbs and I decided to try out energy saver bulbs. The results are in: The test has already in couple of months paid off financially! I'm going to replace rest of regular bulbs as soon as I'll get suitable energy savers. :)

Not all the savings will come in form of smaller bills from electricity wasted, but I don't have to run around apartment changing light bulbs every now and then! Currently the regular bulbs don't last a month here - Most likely because over voltage or something...

For me, it's not so much conserving energy, but conserving my time wasted for changing light bulbs so often. Yeah... I'm probably just lazy? :tooth:

I could not help but notice the statement of John Lynch of New Hampshire in AG's original post.

This is one of the reasons why i love living in New Hampshire. I feel that we are head and shoulders above the rest of the states philosophies in this country. We care about the land/world we live in and work hard to protect it. Ours is such a beautiful state.

I actually met John Lynch recently at a County Conference at The Balsams in Dicksville Notch, which incidentally is an absolute majestic resort in a majestic setting. Anyway, He approached me and shook my hand and wanted to know about my background. Heck of a great Senator.

As far as the light bulbs, I have my entire basement lite with them. I'm going to replace more through the house.

I will tell you, I have tried them in a hurricane lamp and have found because of the enclosure, that it burns out the bulb very quickly. I also have one in my piano lamp which i use regularly and keep on to give light in our living room.

well only 200 views...I was sorta hoping that a lot more would read and even change one single bulb heh

prob because most are americans that come here, the most wasteful bunch in the world. they couldn't give a rats butt. only kidding. lol ;)

well only 200 views...I was sorta hoping that a lot more would read and even change one single bulb heh

ehh.....I've tried switching to those bulbs but I wasn't too impressed. I think I bought a horrible brand of bulbs. I guess I will try again.......