Doing my part for energy conservation (merged environmental threads)

Angry_Games

Interestingly, higher gas prices actually help arrest the decay of the environment! The logic is fairly straightforward - higher costs mean less driving, which results in less combustion and accompanying exhaust.

While at a purely environmental level, I strongly support massive taxation of motor fuel, there is a more fundamental consequence to raising these prices that ultimately forces me to reject such an increase. Unfortunately, such price hikes inequitably burden the poor. While upper- and middle-class motorists are merely inconvenienced by higher gas prices, such an increase can be crippling to lower-class motorists. Many will simply no longer be able to afford to drive to work, and the consequences to them and their families would be dire.

This is where an alternate fuel source could come into play. The results would not be immediate and the technology would be expensive at first (such as the first cars and may other pioneering transportation methods) but hopefully can be merdged into the market in time to help soften or stop the blow of the fall of gassioline (wich could be anywhere from 50 years to 200 years from now)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mentioned global warming due to Co2 production but you forgot to add "solar dimming" due to sulfer and hard pollution in the air.

Ive never heard of solar dimming before, would you care to enlighten me on the subject?

Time for me to rant: There are to forces at play on the environment. Global warming caused by CO2 emissions which causes a global rise in temp. And there is a thing called Solar dimming caused by sulfer and hard pollutants from burning fossel fuels that is cooling the planet. Both of these forces counter-act each other, global warming being the stronger of the two is causing a slight rise in temp over the years. But here's the kicker, contries are trying to lower emissions of fossel fuels (cleaner burning engines) and this inturn will cause a larger increase in global temps (about 1-3c buy 2015), because they are not reducing the things that cause global warming.......end rant......

Time for me to rant: There are to forces at play on the environment. Global warming caused by CO2 emissions which causes a global rise in temp. And there is a thing called Solar dimming caused by sulfer and hard pollutants from burning fossel fuels that is cooling the planet. Both of these forces counter-act each other, global warming being the stronger of the two is causing a slight rise in temp over the years. But here's the kicker, contries are trying to lower emissions of fossel fuels (cleaner burning engines) and this inturn will cause a larger increase in global temps (about 1-3c buy 2015), because they are not reducing the things that cause global warming.......end rant......

interesting, is there any way to stop this from progressing anymore? If you could also find some article supporting this argument that would be awsome.

Ive never heard of solar dimming before, would you care to enlighten me on the subject?
NOVA or Discovery did a show on it. What they found is that these pollutants float in the air and water particals form on them and reflect the suns rays back into space. They look like normal clouds but there not. normally particals like pollen float in the air and water drops form on them, they get heavy and drop to the ground as rain. but with sulfer the water that collects on it is smaller but more per area, thus reflecting the sun rays back and there not heavy enough to drop as rain. They also did a test with jet contrails. they dont look like a big deal but if looked at from space they zig-zag all over the place. when 9/11 happened and all jets were grounded for three days. they checked the average temps across the US and they found that the avg temp was 1F above normal for those three days.

NOVA or Discovery did a show on it. What they found is that these pollutants float in the air and water particals form on them and reflect the suns rays back into space. They look like normal clouds but there not. normally particals like pollen float in the air and water drops form on them, they get heavy and drop to the ground as rain. but with sulfer the water that collects on it is smaller but more per area, thus reflecting the sun rays back and there not heavy enough to drop as rain. They also did a test with jet contrails. they dont look like a big deal but if looked at from space they zig-zag all over the place. when 9/11 happened and all jets were grounded for three days. they checked the average temps across the US and they found that the avg temp was 1F above normal for those three days.

So we have been both causing our own demise and preveting it at the same time. But is there a danger that if we were to lower Co2 production and not sulfur that we could also create another ice age?

but there are affects. Do you remember the massive drought in africa back in the 80s and 90s. They think this was cause by solar dimming due to pollutants from europe and the US. normally during the rainey season the jet stream will shift from the equator to africa bring much needed rain. but with solar dimming, these clouds with pollutants covered parts of africa causing cooling but no rain and the jet stream did not shift but stayed at the equador for 20 years.

Ok, so what can be done about global warming with the knowledge that there is another factor combating its effects?
I have no clue but they better do it right because I don't want to live in a place 15F than what it is now.