nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

Hello,

The X2 3800+ = 2000Mhz (200x10),

So to reach 2.5Ghz you need to increase the CPU FSB to 250Mhz (250x10).

Therefore any 2x1GB kit rated PC4000 will get you to at least :)

OCZ EB platinum PC4000 3-3-2-8 is a good choice.

Mushkin also have a similar kit

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?ID=273

Thank you Sharp- you da' man!

Hey- has anyone by chance seen the 2 X 1GB OCZ EB platinum PC4000 3-3-2-8 kits while shopping around online? I'm having a heck of a time tracking a pair down. Monarch, Tiger, and Newegg only have the 3-4-4-8 kit.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

To quote someone from earlier in the post:

Just outta curiousty, if money were no object, and you only cared about gaming performance, and OC potential, which RAM would you buy?

This being for a phase cooled extreme OC'd DFI UT LanParty SLI DR Expert N4F

Would really appreciate an answer to the question as am about to splurge on the best I can possibly get......

Sharp or anyone else,

I am building a system with a DFI board. I am trying to decide which memory module to get. Currently I have 1x512mb of Corsair PC3500 (BH5). Would this work in a Lanparty UTnF4 or SLI-DR board? If so what 512mb module could I add to go with it? If that would not work and I plan to overclock what would you get? Are the tracer Ballistix pc4000 still a good choice or would ocz be better?

One other thing: does the SLI-DR board overclock better than the UTnF4 board or is sli the only difference. Thanks for your time!!!

For me it would still be the BallistiX Tracer 2x1Gb PC4000 kit.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/ballistix/store/...T12864L503&cat=

Sharp,

Dude, I popped this in the 'puter yesterday, and it is by far the coolest looking memory I've EVER seen!

Based solely on looks alone, this is this best RAM in the world, it completely blows the Corsair Pro's outta the water.

I cannot WAIT to get my side window put on, I think I'll just sit there and stare at it, like a little kid... hehe :nod: :nod: :cool: :drool:

Breezyjr....Like a kid in a candy store.

I am in the US. I would like to get it from Newegg if possible. Basically it appears from what I am reading the difference between running the ram at 300 and 200 is only about 2% difference in performance. If that is the case it would appear that it would be better to get 2x1gig of ram instead of expensive ram that is 2x512mb. What do you think?

Also it appears the price of the UT board has gone up to $135 and the SLI-DR board is only $30 more. I might just swing for the DR board.

The benefit would be the abilty to run your OC at 1:1 ratio.

If you get the 200Mhz stuff, you might end up using a divider. Although, Im still learning if that is such s bad thing. It seems to me, getting the faster RAM takes away the probelm of possibly getting DDR400 that won't OC well.

Just my $0.02 worth, and could be completely wrong. I'm still learning.

Breezyjr

I think I am confident enough about this to issue a warning:

Over at extremesystems forums numerous people report that 2x 1 GB sets with Infineon CE-6 clock extremely well but, although they are prime-tested ok, do not support gaming at these speeds. The reasons are unknown, I suspect heat but that doesn't play well with the fact that these people all have different amounts of active cooling on their RAM.

Note that this doesn't mean the RAM is doing badly overall. It gives nice low timings at medium overclocks stable in games. But the exiting high overclocks these sticks seem to support in artificial testing are apparently not for real.

At this time I wouldn't recommend spending the money and/or the wait time for these modules if you expect to run at these high clocks for real applications. This recommendation might change when the reasons are discovered.

Modules with these chips and characteristics are the OCZ PC4000EB set, the Mushkin Redline PC4000, the G.Skill ZX and whatever Corsair calls their high-end PC4000.

Again, these sticks are not bad or faulty, all I am saying is do not buy them expecting to run the high clocks reported on overclocking forums in real applications. If you want to buy them for low timings at medium overclocks that will be just fine (except for the price in that case).